Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeating a semester

• 29-04-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Is it possible to drop out of your second semester while you're still in it and repeat it the following year without paying fees (if you get a grant)? Perhaps for medical issues etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't think you can once you've started it... if you'd dropped out last January, maybe. ?? Also I think if you repeat you don't get the grant for the bit you've already done, or started. Maybe.

But whatever words you hear on this forum, the best place to ask is in the Fees office itself, in the big room where you registered originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

I'd suggest the Academic Advisory office first, before the Fees office - they'd be able to help you decide what to do and give you information about your options and what the implications would be. The Fees office would only be able to give you by-the-book fee info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

mary164 wrote: »
    Is it possible to drop out of your second semester while you're still in it and repeat it the following year without paying fees (if you get a grant)? Perhaps for medical issues etc..

From the grant perspective I can't say, but I know I had to repeat the 1st semester of 3rd year on medical grounds and they waived the fees.. But I talked to Academic Advisory first and they helped me with sorting out what paperwork I needed, who I needed to talk to etc.

When in doubt, talk to Academic Advisory, though I'd say now rather than after you sit the exams is the time to bring it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

From the grant perspective I can't say, but I know I had to repeat the 1st semester of 3rd year on medical grounds and they waived the fees.. But I talked to Academic Advisory first and they helped me with sorting out what paperwork I needed, who I needed to talk to etc.

When in doubt, talk to Academic Advisory, though I'd say now rather than after you sit the exams is the time to bring it up.

If you defer/repeat on medical grounds/extenuating circumstances then theres the possibility of getting the grant again for the year you're repeating but afik its considered on a case by case basis and you'd need to contact your local authority / SUSI to find out more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Depends on circumstances, go see your gp asap to get supporting letters, if you are registered with the access office speak with them too, talk to your tutors and departments too.

Advertisement