Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Advice

Options
  • 29-04-2014 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

Grateful for some advice. I am moving interstate to Melbourne, (I am a PR here 3 years)
    I have been out of work and that is the reason for my move to the city. I have a few interviews lined up.

I was in Melbourne many many years ago and lived for a few months in St. Kilda West (next to the sea) also in North Richmond in a house share + 8 years ago. I know these somewhat from memory, but I am sure the city has changed. i know its much more expensive now. --- I liked living in both those suburbs before.

I am +40 coming without a lot of money, or car and looking
    A) For good reasonable priced areas/suburbs to rent for one person (close to public transport).

B) Where is a place other than (stayz.com or backpackers) to look for cheapish accom. for a few weeks until I find a job and longer term rental.

Any tips would be appreciated by someone who has done this before.
    I stayed in backpackers as a young guy but not sure I would handle one for long at my age. Beggears can't be choosers but short stays at $120 a night is a bit high from what I as it may be a few weeks before i get a place.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Try Gumtree for short term lets. Claremont in Sth Yarra used to be good value but not sure these days.
    The city hasn't changed that much except for price hikes all over and new apartment blocks anywhere near train or tram lines.
    Richmond & St Kilda still pretty popular along with Brunswick, Fitzroy, Sth Yarra, Northcote, Port Melbourne. Rents will reflect that popularity though you could try adjacent suburbs to these for cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

Try Gumtree for short term lets. Claremont in Sth Yarra used to be good value but not sure these days.
    The city hasn't changed that much except for price hikes all over and new apartment blocks anywhere near train or tram lines.
    Richmond & St Kilda still pretty popular along with Brunswick, Fitzroy, Sth Yarra, Northcote, Port Melbourne. Rents will reflect that popularity though you could try adjacent suburbs to these for cheaper

Good Advice.

I will try my luck with Gumtree.
    I will also try nearby subs to where I used to live.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

Balaclava should be a bit cheaper than St Kilda, and it's on a train-line too. You can walk to St Kilda quite easily from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

Phil UGC wrote: »
    Balaclava should be a bit cheaper than St Kilda, and it's on a train-line too. You can walk to St Kilda quite easily from there.

The name is unfortunate.
    Sounds good in terms of location, near Coles and trams also.

I know Acland Street and near neighbours can get pretty hectic, I'm
    past that. I like peace and quiet, also familiarity is good so near enough to St.K
    would be nice until I get to know the city again.

Will check it out, very helpful

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

jedi1997 wrote: »
    The name is unfortunate.

Lol, yeah. But you can always call it St Kilda East like a lot of other people do.
    jedi1997 wrote: »
    Sounds good in terms of location, near Coles and trams also.

It's actually a nice little area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 johnnybegood

Phil UGC wrote: »
    Lol, yeah. But you can always call it St Kilda East like a lot of other people do.

It's actually a nice little area.

I went looking at a place here. It is ideal. Close to everything. The apartments are quite old etc but the vast majority of them have been renovated.

I could be wrong but you should find a place (furnished) for around the 360 - 400 mark.

I got a one bed on Bourke St right beside the Etihad for 400 which I think is excellent considering I can walk everywhere.

Realestate.com.au is not very helpful in your situation, stick to gumtree.

Advertisement