Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go now or hold off :/

Options
  • 29-04-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Howya guys I'm new to this and was hoping if a few of you on here might be able to shed some light on the situation I have at hand. So myself and the missus both got granted our visas and were hoping to head to Vancouver. I started applying for this back in January, bit now I don't know what to be doing. I have a good decent job here that pays well but the hours are a killer and 95% of the time I'm not happy in it. Initially when I applied for this I thought I'd love to do this now its like I'm getting cold feet. Anyone else have this situation before or any idea on what would be best to do ? . should I just go , and leave my job or stay , would I regret it if I didn't try it. Jesus I'm all over the place :/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Go. I know the feeling you're having. We have great friends in Ireland, we're near our families and we've recently gotten engaged so it's very tempting to stay. But you'll never have this opportunity again so just look the fear in the face and keep going. You're young, free, don't have kids or a mortgage keeping you here and the world is your oyster. Take your chance for adventure while you can!

It's natural to freak out. You're moving 5,000 miles away from home and that's SCARY. But we grow in life by pushing ourselves to do terrifying things like that. Even if you hate it and come home again within 6 months, you'll be a better person for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm the same, booking a flight and winging seemed grand a few months ago now it's crunch time, I'm looking for apartments and jobs and that thread on here about how it's expensive and stuff has given me serious doubts.
    I know it'll be grand once I get at least a place to stay and I won't struggle with money for a few months so I can enjoy seeing the city and all that, which is a big part of it, it is a working holiday after all I don't want to arrive, get into a job and spend the 2years doing that and not seeing any of Canada.

BUT, I'm 32, no kids no mortgage, I haaaated my job which I just left and am in a position now where it's either make the leap or find myself in a year or two cursing myself for not going when I had the chance. Yeah there's all the home comforts and familarity I'll miss, yeah its a culture change and its uprooting your entire life on uncertainty, but hey, it'll be an adventure and if worst comes to it and I gotta come back even in a few months feck it, least I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Cheers for that guys, was good help. Decided on going, flights booked for september. Looking forward to it now. Have to break the news to the boss now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Yes - I would recommend you to go, particularly with the economic climate the way it is in Ireland you're not leaving much behind. They feelings you are having are completely natural - It's the fear of the unknown.

I left Ireland many years ago and I've never regretted it. I thought (for about a minute of insanity) about coming back at the height of the so-called Celtic Tiger. Thank God that I didn't - I hate what Ireland has now become. Ireland - A country where idiots elect thieves. Even at the height of the Celtic Tiger when the country was awash with money the health service was still a joke and the support that Irish disabled people (to give one example) got from the state was absolutely pitiful. All this at the same time that the soft-touch Irish government was spending hundreds of millions of euros on so-called "asylum seekers" (economic migrants who should never have even been allowed to enter the country in the first place). Aherne, Lenihan, Shatter and their ilk have destroyed Ireland. I will never go back to living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Go. Try it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement