Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse

• 29-04-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

hi was looking at green house/glasshouses. only just getting one to try it out /
    was looking at various options .lot of them seems unstable - not recommended - just looking to spend 600/700 for something basic ...as a starter ...small ish back garden ..many thks

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

hi was looking at green house/glasshouses. only just getting one to try it out /
    was looking at various options .lot of them seems unstable - not recommended - just looking to spend 600/700 for something basic ...as a starter ...small ish back garden ..many thks

paddy

Stay well clear if anything from Argos.I am months now trying to get replacement parts after some damage and Argos will not supply parts or even tell you where to get them.

Bugggest mistake I ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ya thks a lot ...was looking at a 6x6 gardman greenhouse ...boards is great!! forgetting that after reading about them here...I don't want to spend too little and get crap!!! don't want to spend too much ....as it may be a passing phase (I don't think it will).....

something that is sturdy and see how it goes for a year or two....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Unless you are very tight on space, 6 x 6 is very small. I'd recommend 8 x 6 as a minimum size, and probably a good size for someone like you who is testing the waters. Unless you are minted, then go for a 12 x 8 :)

You should be able to get something good for that price range.

Your basic options are glass, toughened glass or polycarbonate. This will affect the price. Do you have young kids? Polycarbonate is good if you do or if there is a risk of vandalism. But polycarbonate panels can blow out in high winds so you need a sheltered site and anchor the greenhouse well. Do you have a sheltered site?

I got the extra tall 8 x 6 polycarbonate from Waltons last year. They delivered from the UK. For about 450 I think??? It came through all those terrible storms earlier in the year. But I took the extra measure of siliconing the panels in and I do have it in a nice sheltered corner.

Most greenhouse building is a rites of passage :) and those polycarbonate panels can be difficult to work with. But once done you quickly forget the nightmares and hundreds of screws.

Check polydome.ie also.

Advertisement