Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Insoles in Cork

Options
  • 29-04-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey all
    I've signed up to do the Dublin Marathon and starting to get into training for it now. Fairly novice runner but was looking for some advice on the best place to get fitted for insoles/runners in Cork. Not having any problems or injuries so far, but don't want to wait any longer in case I'm doing damage to myself and not realising it!

I heard Maher's have a gait analysis machine, would people recommend that or is it better go somewhere like John Buckley Sports?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Forget about insoles and go to Mahers or Buckleys to be fitted properly for runners.

Not directed at you, but I'm expecting silly season to start soon where customers will be coming in with insoles they were sold recently in a sale and when they start getting injured questions will be asked. Happened last year, and the year before that....

Get proper advice in a proper running shop & don't be afraid to ask any questions if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

The Edge do gait analysis too but alot comes down to the operator and if they are knowledgeable in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

You can get a structured runner that will provide support if you have fallen arches etc...

I decided not to go that route, as I have very bad fallen arches. Problem is you can spend anywhere up to €300 for custom insoles. For me getting the insoles was the best decision I have made granted they are expensive.

I get a runner classed normal remove the insole provided and slip in my custom insole. So far so good, only suffered minor injuries that is down to me been a heel striker when running.

What I would do is go see a physio they can do the gait analysis and pressure map of the foot to see when you walk where does the foot make contact first etc. They can advice on a suitable solution for you. It's a €50 consultation that will determine if getting a structured runner, off the shelve insoles or custom insoles are best suited to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out a few places in town today and try to get the gait analysis done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I was in the same boat. I basically have no arches, heel striker, over pronate, and one foot points outwards more than the other, basically rightly banjaxed and lots of injurys but after getting orthotics (aka insoles) very little to no injurys since, certainly no major ones, only the odd niggle here and there. Best €300 I ever spent. PS If you have health insurance, see if you are covered, I was able to claim €150 back on my policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

viperlogic wrote: »
    The Edge do gait analysis too but alot comes down to the operator and if they are knowledgeable in this field.

I got one there from a guy who proclaimed "I am not really a runner" half way through. Staff there are poor unless you want to fork out a few k on a bike.

Advertisement