Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbon tax

Options
  • 29-04-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

was talking to my coal merchant this morning,he reminded me that theres at least 1.20 going on coal and briquettes from this coming thursday,i had forgot all about this i remember it mentioned at the budget last year but couldnt remember when it was going to happen,just wondering did anbody else know this was happening this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeh, thanks to the Great Green party that also gave us BER certs !! What a success they are !

1.20 went on last May aswell, they got it through with Fianna Fail before they got booted out. 2.40 over two years. Crazy stuff. Briquettes up aswell. It's a "Carbon Tax" !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Yes Carbon taxes were introduced in the budget four or five years ago. The 2013 tax came in to effect on May 1st last year , and May 1st 2014 is when this year's carbon tax increase comes in to effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fuel merchants are going nuts,they can't understand how even smokeless is being hit.

There was a petition sent to the Govt. but as usual it was ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 yosserhughes

I don't buy coal in republic since last year,I get it from NI,much cheaper and the hungry cu.ts in government do not get a cent from me��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I don't buy coal in republic since last year,I get it from NI,much cheaper and the hungry cu.ts in government do not get a cent from me��

Delivery must be a bit costly. :cool:

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Delivery must be a bit costly. :cool:
    Actually works out a good bit cheaper even with delivery costs,but I think I would still buy it even if it were slightly dearer rather that give this very unfair tax to the vultures in government!

Really? Are you buying it in lorry loads? Forgive my scepticism but I can't envisage your average bellman delivering half a tonne of coal from NI to Wexford.
    Do share with us.

I had to smile when I went into Butler's filling station (Great Gas) on the Arklow Road in Gorey tonight. They have had signs all over the place for the last few weeks bemoaning the fact that yet another hike in carbon tax would raise the price of a 40kg bag of coal by €1.05 and then proceeded to raise their own prices by €1.50 a bag. Rip off Ireland is still alive and well, I know where I won't be buying my coal next time.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I had to smile when I went into Butler's filling station (Great Gas) on the Arklow Road in Gorey tonight. They have had signs all over the place for the last few weeks bemoaning the fact that yet another hike in carbon tax would raise the price of a 40kg bag of coal by €1.05 and then proceeded to raise their own prices by €1.50 a bag. Rip off Ireland is still alive and well, I know where I won't be buying my coal next time.

Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

When you pay €20 for a bag of coal , anthracite or whatever , the shopkeeper / merchant is only recovering the carbon tax he paid on this bag .

You see the tax is collected and paid by the first supplier in the Republic .
    Any supplier making a first supply of solid fuel in the State on or after 1 May 2013 must register with the Revenue Commissioners and pay the tax

Now this carbon tax in 2013 was 26.33e p/tonne , and this is €1.20 a bag carbon tax and VAT .

But it is very difficult for some shopkeepers / merchants to recover this amount , so some did absorb this to keep their best prices in 2013 .
    This could be a reason why it has now increased by more than €1.20 a bag.

But you can rest assured that your Mininster for Finance / Revenue Commissioners are paid in full for this tax , because as I said above , it is collected and paid at the beginning.

Now if you want to go to the North and buy up there , you can do so , but if you attempt to sell it onwards , you will then be the first supplier and subject to this tax.
    However, if that person receives some or all of their solid fuel supplies from a supplier based in another member state, for example, a supplier based in Newry, they will be accountable for the tax when they supply that fuel onward to their own customers. In such cases, the person must register for the tax with Revenue and pay the tax on the supply of that fuel in any accounting period.

Between VAT and Carbon tax , there is now €60 per tonne on solid fuel .

And this carbon tax was introduced by your Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan , but it will be collected by Minister Noonan Department of Finance .

1. Household Charge
    2. Property Tax
    3. Water Meters
    4. Carbon tax

Both of these Departments seem to thrive on austerity , so you all have an opportunity to make your mark on May 23rd .

• Advertisement
Advertisement