Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog fencing - what do you use?

• 29-04-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We have an 80 meter barbed wire fence around our property which unfortunately causes some nasty gashes on our dogs as they bound through it.

The barbed wire is to keep in livestock in the neighbouring field, so removing it is not an option. Instead, I'm hoping to put some wire fencing on my side that will keep them safe.

I have zero interest in radio/electric fences, so was looking at other fencing options (everything from chicken wire to 10ft tall security fences) and I must admit, i'm a bit lost.

I want to use something that is safe around dogs and kids, but will entice them to use the actual gates and such - it doesn't need to be fort knox, i know that if my dogs want out, they'll get out!

High tensile sheep wire seems to be a cost effective solution, but I'm wondering if anyone had any experience with it and their dogs?

Is there another type of fence that you use and recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

6ft Chainlink fencing using metal posts all around with gates as needed. The bottom of the fence is buried.

Nothing gets in, nothing gets out and is still going strong nearly 30 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Sounds effective!!

A 6 ft fence would be too high for me personally I think.
    Ideally, the smaller beasties could still come in and out as they please, including my ever-roaming cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Ah yes well our dogs are big :)

Is there a way you could leave access for the smallies? Maybe a small gap in a gate or a way over that's just big enough for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kash wrote: »
    Sounds effective!!

A 6 ft fence would be too high for me personally I think.
    Ideally, the smaller beasties could still come in and out as they please, including my ever-roaming cat.
    Why not build a cat staircase? There are multiple ways to do them but for example you have this one, you can also do it as a stair case etc. to make something that a dog can't use (depending on size obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hah, we have cat staircases already, but we call them trees... ;) He'd ignore anything I built in any case and he's ingenious enough to overcome whatever we choose, though leaving a cat sized gap seems a good idea.

I really want to know the types of fence that could work, and chain link was the only type mentioned so I'll look into that.

If anyone has any other cost effective solutions, I'm all ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We have concrete posts with chainlink wire ran between them and buried partially under the ground. It's the only thing that has managed to keep our boy in for the past 10 years!

Advertisement