Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google adwords

• 29-04-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Has anyone heard that running a Google Adwords campaign affects your SEO ranking in a negative way?
    I've heard a couple of anecdotal stories from two small businesses (not from techies) that after a short Adwords campaign that their search ranking got worse. I don't have any figures from GA or GWT to back this up.
    It sounds unlikely... Anyone heard anything along these lines or is it pish posh :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Plenty of stories about adwords and SEO on a site - really have to be taken with a grain of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

IRE60 wrote: »
    Plenty of stories about adwords and SEO on a site - really have to be taken with a grain of salt

Yeah I get that there's a lot of misinformation spoken about SEO - however it was just from these two business owner who mentioned it.
    They ran a small campaign, say for €150-250 and then after the campaign it seemed like the ranking had gone done (I don't know what they used for metrics).
    They were talking about it in a way to suggest that Google was encouraging them to part with more €€ by running further campaigns so that they'd be back on the first page again (in adword form).

In theory it's possible but I would have thought if it were true then Google would have been called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

Highly unlikely that this is something Google do. They continuously state that there is no relationship between performances. They are actually very open about that. Usually they keep people guessing and reading between the lines

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rankingelite

Yeah I've noticed that when working on client websites.. Google doesn't want you to know how to rank websites, they'd prefer you just spend money on Adwords if you want website traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

omniwebseo wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed that when working on client websites.. Google doesn't want you to know how to rank websites, they'd prefer you just spend money on Adwords if you want website traffic.

*sigh*

Your username makes that statement all the more tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I resisted - it was tough, but I resisted

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheIrishLegend

purethick wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that running a Google Adwords campaign affects your SEO ranking in a negative way?

That is completely untrue.

They run off completely different algorithms and have nothing to do with each other.

I don't trust Google whatsoever after the adsense scandal.. It would make perfect sense for Google to drop your rankings if you were using adwords and stopped. Then to compensate for the drop in traffic you spend more money on ads...

I don't trust Google whatsoever.... It would make perfect sense...

That is really opinion.

SEO is not a black magic. Its quiet scientific. You can measure where your website currently ranks for certain keywords. (Your Baseline) You can then use a whole range of tools to point out what can be improved. If you make the improvements - your rankings will improve. You measure again to see the change and so on....

SEO and PPC are not directly related when it comes to Rankings.

I understand your theory...It has crossed my mind before! But then I educated myself on this stuff.

That is really opinion.

SEO is not a black magic. Its quiet scientific. You can measure where your website currently ranks for certain keywords. (Your Baseline) You can then use a whole range of tools to point out what can be improved. If you make the improvements - your rankings will improve. You measure again to see the change and so on....

SEO and PPC are not directly related when it comes to Rankings.

I understand your theory...It has crossed my mind before! But then I educated myself on this stuff.

Blackhat seo can be extremely profitable.. Google manipulate search results to put their properties at the top of the SERPs e.g. Google-owned retailmenot.com ranks first for hundreds/thousands of search terms in the coupon niche..

Yes I am aware you can track your rankings (serpfox and microsite masters are pretty good)

Sorry I'm not as educated as you...

• Advertisement

Your Question of "does running a Google Adwords campaign affects your SEO ranking in a negative way?"

The answer is No. Always has been and always will. The simple reason is that doing this would reduce the relevance of Google’s main organic rankings. And once that happens, Yahoo, Bing, or another search engine will unseat them as the Big Dog of search.

WSI - Say it best!!!
    Doing Adwords does NOT directly help or effect rankings. Integrity in this area is a cornerstone of Google’s business. If this were violated it would damage Google beyond repair, not to mention a slew of legal actions. Google would never risk those consequences. Google has stated over and over that Adwords advertising will not affect rankings. I don’t always believe Google but….

I have been managing Adwords and doing search engine optimization for my clients for many years. I have managed every combination of clients that do or don’t do AdWords combined with SEO. There have also been cases where SEO clients stop doing AdWords, or start doing AdWords. I can say that I have never seen anything that indicated that Adwords affected rankings.

There are a number of reputable SEO research firms that study this issue and every one of them has come to the same conclusion: Adwords does not affect rankings.

My experience is completely in agreement with that assessment. I hope that answers your initial Question. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gheghici

Can be just a coincidence. Maybe they ran an AdWords campaign, but, in the same time, their website was hit by one of the changes that Google did in its algorithm.
    I guess Google would be mad to drop websites based on their adwords campaigns, especially when we're talking about 200-300 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Blackhat seo can be extremely profitable.. .

Credibility gap chasm widens.

tricky D wrote: »
    Credibility gap chasm widens.

When I mentioned blackhat seo I a was referring to Google, probably the biggest blackhat seo company..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

When I mentioned blackhat seo I a was referring to Google, probably the biggest blackhat seo company..

This just gets better and better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    This just gets better and better

They're like the Jim Corrs of SEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Blackhat seo can be extremely profitable.. Google manipulate search results to put their properties at the top of the SERPs e.g. Google-owned retailmenot.com ranks first for hundreds/thousands of search terms in the coupon niche..
    Google doesn't own retailmenot.com and as far as I know never has.

Google doesn't own them but is an investor via it's subsidiary Google Ventures..

Advertisement