Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions / Experiences of Electric or Radio Fences

• 29-04-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. We have recently taken on a rescue dog from <snip>. He's a Golden Lab, and a real charmer. However, he also likes to roam. (we were told he doesn't dig etc).

He's a strong lad. We had one escape recently, where he dug under our wooden fence, and pried a wooden base board off, in order to escape.

So, we bought a chain link fence style dog run. And yesterday, he tore through the fence with his teeth, and then broke out of the garden (broke through the wooden fence with his head).

We really don't want to give him back due to this behaviour, we want to give him every chance we can.

I don't think burying the wire fence will work, due to him eating straight through the fence yesterday.

Has anyone here found the electric or Radio fences to be an effective solution?

I should mention also, we already had one lab prior to taking on this new fella, but he's not a roamer. We're just afraid the new guy will lead the existing fella astray. Doesnt help that we are surrounded by sheep!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Has anyone here found the electric or Radio fences to be an effective solution?
    That's a powder keg and then some of a question. The grouping really comes down in two here:

1) We use it and it's perfectly fine because they never try it and will always work and roam free now

2) We used it and the dog took the jump and never wanted to return (it works in both directions)/go out/was traumatised for life/learned how to drain it

Both sides are very stubborn in their view but if you ask the people in rescue shelters there are quite a few dogs coming in with the radio collars on them. Due to this I'd not think of it as a guaranteed solution because it's down to each dog how they react (some learn it, some learn how to work around it while other dogs get so traumatised by the shock that they refuse to walk out of the house). Putting it this way; would you ever consider hitting/hurting your dog for something it did? If not why do you want to strap an electric shocker on it's neck? Negative reinforcement as a training method is a big no no yet the shock collars is exactly that (yes I'm a camp 2 person, sue me :P ).

Anyway, the latest long thread on the topic is here with both sides giving their oppinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I really think this is something best discussed with the rescue. Some rescues don't allow the use of shock collars.

How much exercise is he getting, how long is he being left outside for and how long do you have him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Toulouse wrote: »
    I really think this is something best discussed with the rescue. Some rescues don't allow the use of shock collars.

How much exercise is he getting, how long is he being left outside for and how long do you have him?

We don't have him that long, less than 2 weeks. He gets plenty of exercise, as the yard is quite large, and the 2 dogs enjoy running around all day (both are roughly 18 months, so they're still quite puppish).

They both would be outside all day, and brought in then in the evening. Yesterday was the first day they were left unsupervised, as we both returned to work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've seen bitches in heat chew through chainlink to get out to her suitor on the other side, so I'd never recommend chainlink for a really determined escape-artist.
    I suppose it's like this: if there is any question mark over the effectiveness of any form of containment, then you can be damn sure a really determined dog will find the weakness. This goes for chain link, wooden fences, hedging, radio fences etc.
    I'd suggest you sink your money into a seriously strong run: one either made of one-inch steel mesh (that's a small enough mesh that a lab would not be able to grab a hold of it), or one with vertical steel bars. The latter is probably preferable as the dog can't climb them.
    I'll see if I can find pics of examples! Bear with me...

Edited to add:
    Okay! I'm back!
    Something along the lines of this sort of fencing, it's used in a lot of kennels for the very reasons I've mentioned. You can buy pre-fabbed panels of it (you'll occasionally get a job lot of them e.g. from kennels that are closing down), or get them made up. Pricey, but bloody good!

http://www.optionsplus.com/dog-kennels-ae.htm

DBB wrote: »
    I've seen bitches in heat chew through chainlink to get out to her suitor on the other side, so I'd never recommend chainlink for a really determined escape-artist.
    I suppose it's like this: if there is any question mark over the effectiveness of any form of containment, then you can be damn sure a really determined dog will find the weakness. This goes for chain link, wooden fences, hedging, radio fences etc.
    I'd suggest you sink your money into a seriously strong run: one either made of one-inch steel mesh (that's a small enough mesh that a lab would not be able to grab a hold of it), or one with vertical steel bars. The latter is probably preferable as the dog can't climb them.
    I'll see if I can find pics of examples! Bear with me...

Edited to add:
    Okay! I'm back!
    Something along the lines of this sort of fencing, it's used in a lot of kennels for the very reasons I've mentioned. You can buy pre-fabbed panels of it (you'll occasionally get a job lot of them e.g. from kennels that are closing down), or get them made up. Pricey, but bloody good!

http://www.optionsplus.com/dog-kennels-ae.htm
    Those look the biz indeed. To be honest, we're not gone on the electric fence idea anyhow, no sense in hurting the dog. These panels may be the solution I've been after.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A quick Google reveals that there are a few suppliers of such panels and runs in Ireland, prices vary but hopefully you'll find what you're looking for amongst them :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just to add, running around all day outside wouldn't really be considered exercise. A dog needs mental as well as physical stimulation to be properly worn out and running around in circles in his own garden, nomatter how big, probably isn't enough. He should be walked twice a day as well. Not clear if you are doing this also or just expecting him to exercise himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes how much proper exercise, it walks outside of the garden are they getting? Labs are working dogs so need loads proper walks/runs everyday. Sounds like he could be bored if he's not getting this.

Ya, he could do with more walks. I'm literally just back after picking the 2 lads up again after their little escapade again today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to sort something asap before they are either stolen or possibly shot by a farmer or knocked down.
    What about a proper dog run? Or can you not leave them indoors while you aren't there?
    Electric fencing certainly isn't your answer here but a proper dog run will be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

No matter how big the yard is, they still a good decent walk (or several) every day

On the radio fence side of things I got one plus two collars for mine as one fella was partial to chewing the toys left strewn around neighbours garden.

Useless it was
    Main culprit took absolutely no notice of the signal and quickly decided a good running jump was all that was needed to get over it
    The other bitch (aren't females always far more clever?!) came back from a venture down the garden with half the collar chewed off. To this day I don't know how she managed it

It was also a dead pain when it came to cutting the grass

Wouldn't recommend it again. Defintely invest in the dog run and more walks

Advertisement