Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13% rent increase on new lease

Options
  • 29-04-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got my new lease in the door yesterday (28th April) which will be effective from 1st May. The rent on the new lease has increased from €975 to €1100 and there is a letter attached explaining that the average rent in the area has increased etc etc. The old lease was for 1 year, and so is the new one.

My question is, given that the rent is due on the 1st am I required to pay €1100 or does the fact that I've only been given 2/3 days notice mean I pay the original amount on the lease which expires on the 1st?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

TomCo wrote: »
    Hi, I got my new lease in the door yesterday (28th April) which will be effective from 1st May. The rent on the new lease has increased from €975 to €1100 and there is a letter attached explaining that the average rent in the area has increased etc etc. The old lease was for 1 year, and so is the new one.

My question is, given that the rent is due on the 1st am I required to pay €1100 or does the fact that I've only been given 2/3 days notice mean I pay the original amount on the lease which expires on the 1st?

Pay original amount.

if your staying, Pay the new amount next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Thanks, its sorted now.

I rang the landlord to see what his expectations were, he wanted the new rent on the 1st. When I mentioned the 28 days notice period and suggested it should be the old amount next month and then the new amount going forward he accepted with no argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Make sure you edit the lease to show rent for month 1 of the new lease is 975 and months 2-12 are 1,100......or alternatively have start date on new lease as 1 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I always think you are better to move to part 4 after the first lease is up. You would still pay the increase but at least if you need to move at any point you don't have to break a lease.

Basically that just means not signing any new lease and telling him you now wish to go to part 4. You donlt have to sign anything and there is not much change but as I say if you need to move you can do so easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I always think you are better to move to part 4 after the first lease is up. You would still pay the increase but at least if you need to move at any point you don't have to break a lease.

Basically that just means not signing any new lease and telling him you now wish to go to part 4. You donlt have to sign anything and there is not much change but as I say if you need to move you can do so easier

I had this discussion with my partner yesterday as I was initially of a similar opinion. She prefers the security of a lease and neither of us have any plans to move until next year, so I don't mind signing it.

It's probably more of a psychological thing though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement