Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission for Extension to Side of House

Options
  • 29-04-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am beginning the process of building an extension to the side of my house. I have a corner site and would be looking to build a single story extension to the side somewhere between 25-35 Sq M.

I have looked at various sites on exclusions to planning permission and there are certain things I would appreciate opinions on:

1. Extensions less than 40 sq m to the rear of a house seem to be exempt – what about to the side of a house?
    2. As I am an end house I have a boundary wall – do I need to keep the extension more than 2 metres from this wall? Seems a lot and would knock probably 5-6 sq m off the overall size if so.

Thanks for your help

Coat22

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Coat22 wrote: »
    1. Extensions less than 40 sq m to the rear of a house seem to be exempt – what about to the side of a house?

You need planning permission. There is no exemption for an extension to the side of the house.
    Coat22 wrote: »
    2. As I am an end house I have a boundary wall – do I need to keep the extension more than 2 metres from this wall? Seems a lot and would knock probably 5-6 sq m off the overall size if so.

Not necessarily, there is no requirement to build 2m from the wall but it would prudent to leave some separation/space as a side passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not necessarily, there is no requirement to build 2m from the wall but it would prudent to leave some separation/space as a side passage.

But not essential. I live in a 4 bed-semi-with-attached-garage-to-side which the garage is converted. Me and the neighbors garages share a party wall so no side passageway. The biggest downside is having to drag the lawnmower through the house. But the extra m2 is the big trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Be aware too that going over 40m2 will take you into the new building control regulations territory. (Best avoided)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 colm1982

I have a related question about a rear extension to a mid-terrace in Kildare. According to KCC Planning Website:

"Any other ground floor extension must be not less than 2 metres from any party
    boundary."

Does that mean I have to leave both side walls of the extension 2ms short of the boundary?!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

colm1982 wrote: »
    I have a related question about a rear extension to a mid-terrace in Kildare. According to KCC Planning Website:

"Any other ground floor extension must be not less than 2 metres from any party
    boundary."

Does that mean I have to leave both side walls of the extension 2ms short of the boundary?!

Any first floor extension cannot be considered exempt if it's within 2 m of a boundary.

Sorry it's a single story extension.

The quoted rule on the Kildare Co.Co. website talks about ground floor extension. Is that a typo? I'm not allowed post the link.
    "Any other ground floor extension..."

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

colm1982 wrote: »
    Sorry it's a single story extension.

The quoted rule on the Kildare Co.Co. website talks about ground floor extension. Is that a typo? I'm not allowed post the link.
    "Any other ground floor extension..."

I just checked.
    It says "above ground floor extension" in the preceding line.

You are correct about the typo

That's great. Thanks for clarification.

Advertisement