Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diego Maradona - footage

• 29-04-2014 12:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

I came across this great compilation of Diego Maradona yesterday..

@3:02 is just amazing:eek::D

Its easy to forget just how incredible he was.

Note:
    • he really didnt go down too easy.
    • some of the stuff that defenders got away with when compared to today is crazy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If Messi got what was dished out to Maradona on a game-to-game basis, he'd probably snap in two.

Frightening to think what DM could do these days with referee protection and the fact that modern greats now tend to be surrounded by great players in the big teams, unlike i the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I came across this great compilation of Diego Maradona yesterday..

randy-marsh-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh, youtube footballer.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Best Ive ever seen.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Lol. Rofl

Knex ya sap !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The goal from 2:56 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

such control and balance - better than George Best , and thats saying something - greatest player I've ever seeing (including Roy Keane and Paul McGrath and thats saying something too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Greatest player ever, no doubt about it!

Would break all records if he was in his prime today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can't see the video in work but he's the greatest ever in my opinion. For what he did with Argentina in 86 and his spell with Napoli, in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Best player ever by some distance IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even more impressive is that he was probably out of his head during most of those clips too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So many 2 footed lunges by defenders in that video and the way he just bounces back up from them is almost as incredible as some of the ball work.

So many 2 footed lunges by defenders in that video and the way he just bounces back up from them is almost as incredible as some of the ball work.

I know.

he is at full pelt in some clips and the shock of the tackle can be seen shuddering up his body but he still continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kfallon wrote: »
    Greatest player ever, no doubt about it!

Would break all records if he was in his prime today!

And unlike some false gods since, Maradona's genius can be thanked for winning a World Cup for his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Best I have ever seen IMO.

I remember a lad I went to college with telling me a story when he was a kid of about 10 going on holiday to Naples with his dad and went to an open training session for Napoli and there was about 100,000 fans turned up. He says this was a regular thing apparently.

Maradonna proceeded to do 50 keep uppies with his rolled up socks for the crowd, who lapped it up. Even as a kid he still says it’s one of his best memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

For me Maradona is beyond equal and I don't think I'll ever see his like again. Some of the tackles he endured were nothing short of attempted decapitations. If he played today? I'd say opposing teams would be decimated with red cards trying to stop him.

Someone post up the vid of the tear up in Bilbao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Rare talent, eclipsed by Messi for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Someone post up the vid of the tear up in Bilbao :D

I forgot about how bad that was, he nearly took that lads head off

Rare talent, eclipsed by Messi for me.

Have to disagree but respect it's your opinion!

The game has changed so much now to the advantage of attacking players. The offside laws, the backpass rule, the non-contact nature of the game now. It's all designed to let the attacking players flourish. Maradona played in Serie A, the most defensive league in the world, had defenders kicking lumps out of him every week wherever he played and it still couldn't stop him.

A genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

And unlike some false gods since, Maradona's genius can be thanked for winning a World Cup for his country.

I really hope you aren't talking Messi or Ronaldo.

Maradona was a phenomenal player. One that I love watching footage of. But both Messi and Ronaldo have been incredible over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

the style (if you can call it that) of defending at the time was agricultural, to say the least-it made Tony Pulis' methods look like that of Pep Guiardola:)

I wonder how say, Luis Suarez would have fared against defending like that:pac::pac::pac:

jester77 wrote: »

hard as nails too - in comparison to today , what warrants foul play or on field violence ; the media puritans of today would be outraged , call for lifetime bans for the merest of push or slightly raised arm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just exhilarating. Will never tire of watching Maradona videos.

Too young to have seen him play unfortunately other than the Greece game in 94 where I remember that celebration well.

I think Napoli fans are maybe some of the luckiest in the world to have witnessed that week in week out.

He doesn't have the same numbers as Messi perhaps, but as has been said it was a different time - 2 points for a win and a totally different approach to refereeing meant that defences were often on top.

I think he would be reaching those heights if he were playing now -there is just no way to live with that combination of speed, strength and technique. Phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That Bilbao game was after he had his leg broken by Goikoetxea I think, there was a lot of bad feeling about it. That was an absolutely shocking tackle on him also, I think he ended up getting hepatitis from it. Could be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

daithi1970 wrote: »
    the style (if you can call it that) of defending at the time was agricultural, to say the least-it made Tony Pulis' methods look like that of Pep Guiardola:)

I wonder how say, Luis Suarez would have fared against defending like that:pac::pac::pac:

Suarez is very tough and strong, I actually think he would live with it better than most attacking players out there. What I mean to say is that I've never seen Suarez negated by kicking and roughhouse tactics and I don't think it's in his personality to be put off or intimidated by such behaviour

He would soon stop going down if he knew the ref would not blow up, likewise if Maradona played nowadays you would see him taking a lot more falls than he does in that vid - you adapt to your conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

So similar to Messi, they just seems to be able to think and move a second ahead of the defenders.

He was never tested away to Stoke in January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just exhilarating. Will never tire of watching Maradona videos.

Too young to have seen him play unfortunately other than the Greece game in 94 where I remember that celebration well.

I think Napoli fans are maybe some of the luckiest in the world to have witnessed that week in week out.

He doesn't have the same numbers as Messi perhaps, but as has been said it was a different time - 2 points for a win and a totally different approach to refereeing meant that defences were often on top.

I think he would be reaching those heights if he were playing now -there is just no way to live with that combination of speed, strength and technique. Phenomenal

They also had Careca there at the same time. He's often forgotten about but he was one hell of a striker. Not a player in Maradona's league (no one else at the time was) but he was world class.

• Advertisement

^^^^^ and Alemao - great midfielder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

More flying kicks in there than a Bruce Lee film!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Have to disagree but respect it's your opinion!

The game has changed so much now to the advantage of attacking players. The offside laws, the backpass rule, the non-contact nature of the game now. It's all designed to let the attacking players flourish. Maradona played in Serie A, the most defensive league in the world, had defenders kicking lumps out of him every week wherever he played and it still couldn't stop him.

A genius!

Yep, he was pretty special alright.

Still Messi for me. Better athletes in today's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »

And it was going so well. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Maradona hit greater heights in terms of his performance at the 86 world cup than Ronaldo or Messi ever have. In terms of consistency of performance Messi & Ronaldo are ahead of him.

He had a 3to4 yr spell of greatness in truth, at Barca before his performances weren't at the same level. Arguably he would have been more consistent had he not been binging on drugs.

He's a bit of a headcase alright, part of that made him the player he was. He wanted to almost humiliate his opponents, in his biography he talks about "vaccinating them" (slang for c0kfcking them basically!)..thats why he didn't go down, had to prove himself better and humiliate them, came from a real rough part of town of course and being a short lad just drove him further and further. Ultimately drove him to excess and drugs.

His first team, Argentino Juniors, have just been relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Diego was the best there ever was.

As Jimmy Magee said - Different Class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Showing me age here but I was about 10 and begged the parents for a pair of Puma Maradonna football boots .... £40 in the 80's was a lot of money for a pair of boots ... I thought I was the dogs..... Idolised that man....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Maradona all day long for me as well,

Pace,strength and unbelievable balance he had it all,

Played at a time when defenders were defenders and would do anything to stop him playing,looking back at the video clips its hard to believe some of the tackles and attempted tackles that defenders got away with back then.

Maradona and Carcea were unreal for Napoli during that spell in the late 80s.Every kid around used follow an Italian club team back then,I was a Milan fan just because Van Basten was playing for them,my brother followed Napoli because of Maradona and Carcea,used make for some interesting Monday nights in our house watching Italian Soccer on Network 2 :)

Agueroooo wrote: »
    • he really didnt go down too easy.
    • some of the stuff that defenders got away with when compared to today is crazy.

South American football or at least their club football is very physical even today. I can remember Tevez getting an unbelievable kicking playing for Boca back in 03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think players/people adapt to their surroundings. No doubt if Messi and Ronaldo faced those kind of kicking they would still struggle but if they grew up with it and it was part of the game they'd get on with it. Similar I have no doubt if Maradonna played now a days he'd throw himself on the ground just as easily if he knew he'd get a freekick/penalty.

Never really saw Maradonna play much, I was surprised at his goal scoring record though. 181 appearances for Napoli and 81 goals in Serie A, not as impressive as I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think players/people adapt to their surroundings. No doubt if Messi and Ronaldo faced those kind of kicking they would still struggle but if they grew up with it and it was part of the game they'd get on with it. Similar I have no doubt if Maradonna played now a days he'd throw himself on the ground just as easily if he knew he'd get a freekick/penalty.

Never really saw Maradonna play much, I was surprised at his goal scoring record though. 181 appearances for Napoli and 81 goals in Serie A, not as impressive as I would have thought.

Serie A was one of the most defensive leagues in the world.

When Ian Rush went there in 1987 he did not break double figures in the league. And he was scoring for fun in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

181 appearances for Napoli and 81 goals in Serie A, not as impressive as I would have thought.

Seriously!!

It's a fantastic record considering Serie A was by far in away the best league in the world back then.

When you consider this coupled with the fact that defensive prudance was probably more reveared that attacking prowess in Italy it's very very good.

rarnes1 wrote: »

In fairness Goixetchea and co made Stoke look like pussies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Serie A was one of the most defensive leagues in the world.

When Ian Rush went there in 1987 he did not break double figures in the league. And he was scoring for fun in England.
    Seriously!!

It's a fantastic record considering Serie A was by far in away the best league in the world back then.

When you consider this coupled with the fact that defensive prudance was probably more reveared that attacking prowess in Italy it's very very good.

How do you measure it was the best league in the world by far?

Tops scorers for the years Maradonna played
    84/85 - Mardonna third with 14 goals, winner scored 17.
    85/86 - Maradonna joint 4th with 11 goals, winner scored 19 goals
    86/87 - Jointed 4th with 10 goals, winner scored 17 goals
    87/88 - Maradonna top scorer with 15 goals
    88/89 - wasn't even top 10. He scored 9 goals, winner scored 22
    89/90 - Maradonna 3rd with 16, winner scored 19 goals
    90/91 - Scored 6 in 18 games, winner scored 19 goals that year.

Didn't know the Serie A back then so maybe I'm just being harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How do you measure it was the best league in the world by far?

Tops scorers for the years Maradonna played
    84/85 - Mardonna third with 14 goals, winner scored 17.
    85/86 - Maradonna joint 4th with 11 goals, winner scored 19 goals
    86/87 - Jointed 4th with 10 goals, winner scored 17 goals
    87/88 - Maradonna top scorer with 15 goals
    88/89 - wasn't even top 10. He scored 9 goals, winner scored 22
    89/90 - Maradonna 3rd with 16, winner scored 19 goals
    90/91 - Scored 6 in 18 games, winner scored 19 goals that year.

Didn't know the Serie A back then so maybe I'm just being harsh.

Most of the top players played in Serie A at the time.

Zico, Maradona, Platini, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Gullit, Baresi, Tassotti, Maldini, Rummenigge, Matthaus, Andy Brehme, Michael Laudrup, Careca, Pasarella to name a few...

he practically single handedly won a Serie A with Napoli, and the same with a World Cup in '86 - don't think any player will ever match what he brought to the game - had a few personality problems , mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Greatest. Of. All. Time.

Pace, close control, strength, intelligence, guile, he literally had everything in his game.
    The single most unpredictable player to every grace the field, nobody could touch him.
    He toyed with the best defences in the world on a domestic, european, south american and international level and made it look like he was a teenager taking the piss out of a bunch of 8 year olds down the local park.

Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo x 2, they are all very, very, very good, none of them touches El Diego.

Was the only way teams could even try and negate his brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I still think he's better than Messi too. I don't think Messi would have coped nearly as well with getting lumps kicks out him every week.

Amazing balance. There are a few moments in that video where he's almost 'flat on his face' horizontal after a tackle, but somehow manages to keep his feet, control of the ball, and his acceleration away from the defender.

and his acceleration away from the defender.

His ability to just change pace instantly and completely flat foot defenders was ridiculous.

as others have stated the Italian league/teams back then were built from the backline up, and utterly defensive.

think Chelsea on Sunday but across many teams in the Seria A on a weekly basis.

Maradona's stats are pretty impressive when you consider what he had to take on every game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement