Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data protection CCTV

Options
  • 29-04-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Here's an odd one currently in an apartment complex for the last 5years,it a pretty secure complex external CCTV and a secure gate ,recently theres been 3 new CCTV infra red camera installed on all 3 floors of the 3 blocks ,one covering each corridor and steps ,no issue there,but I've recently found out two apartment owners are regularly reviewing CCTV recordings and making copies of footage for there own personal use ( what ever that means ) ,
    And using the system to track who's cars are coming and goings and who and what tenants use the bin shed ,
    Neither of these owner occupiers are on the management board or ever been but seem to hold a lot of sway ,,
    Are these individuals allowed used the CCTV for there own personal use ,would this come under breach of privacy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

E-mail the data protection people. Thye usually respond pretty quickly.
    info@dataprotection.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Seems like it's a breach of data protection. How are they getting access to the video? If the CCTV is installed for security purposes (which I assume it is), then monitoring the movements of residents is not related to the intended purpose and is not allowed.

IANAL and this is my own personal interpretation. The data protection office should be able to give proper guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems like it's a breach of data protection. How are they getting access to the video? If the CCTV is installed for security purposes (which I assume it is), then monitoring the movements of residents is not related to the intended purpose and is not allowed.

IANAL and this is my own personal interpretation. The data protection office should be able to give proper guidance.

The CCTV digital recorders are stored in a room padlocked and keypad to which they hold the keys and the code ,so access it anytime they choose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Gatling wrote: »
    The CCTV digital recorders are stored in a room padlocked and keypad to which they hold the keys and the code ,so access it anytime they choose

Are they involved with being the data controllers of the system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are they involved with being the data controllers of the system?

No not that we know of ,there not on the board of management or anything related to the runnings of blocks ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Report it to the Data Protection Commissioners so. Sounds very dodgy and a breach of the data protection act.

Advertisement