Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move a group of kittens to protect them?

• 29-04-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

A cat gave birth to her kitten under a bush. She thought it would have been a perfect place, but some people found them and one of this persons is doing his best to let as many people as possible know that there are kittens under that bush.
    Mother cat doesn't seem to be bothered by the many persons who go there to see the cute kittens that are about 20 days old.
    What I fear is that one of these days somebody could take some of the kittens away before they're grown up enough to be taken away from their mother.
    I was thinking to move the kittens to a new location, a few metres away, not more than 5 metres, where they could be safer.
    Do you think that the mother would be able to find them by their smell and sound?
    Do you think that the mother would accept the new location, or could there be the risk that she moves the kittens far away or, worse, that she abandones them?
    Is there any other reason why I shouldn't do anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Is this in Ireland or in Italy? I am being sincere here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Would you be in a position to take in mum and kits for a month or two?
    I agree with you the kittens are in danger. Any cat rescue orgs near you that could maybe take them either, and neuter the mum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

gugleguy wrote: »
    Is this in Ireland or in Italy? I am being sincere here. :)

It's here in Italy, precisely in the place where I work.
    Is there difference? ;)

zef wrote: »
    Would you be in a position to take in mum and kits for a month or two?
    I agree with you the kittens are in danger. Any cat rescue orgs near you that could maybe take them either, and neuter the mum?

Unfortunately I'm not able to take the family, firstly because the mum is quite wild and doesn't get near any human being.
    Usually I'm the rescuer, but in this case the situation is a bit complicated. They are in the backyard where I work.
    I'd be happy if the mum moved the four kittens in any other place where some stupid workmate doesn't find them.
    I was thinking to move them four to another corner of the yard, a few metres away, the stupid workmates would think they're gone and wouldn't bother then anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'd be telling my workmates to stay the flip alone until they're weaned for a start or put up a sign nearby. I'd have no shame in doing that :P

Do you have any rescues you could ring to help you? If you move them, even a few metres they'll still likely be spotted by people as they'll be wandering about fairly soon.

I'd be inclined to wait another week, trap all of them including the mother. At 4 weeks while still young, they are strong enough to survive away from the mother and she can be safely neutered then (4 weeks is the safe zone for spaying after giving birth).

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'd be telling my workmates to stay the flip alone until they're weaned for a start or put up a sign nearby. I'd have no shame in doing that :P

I had thought of a sign to tell people to stay clear of that spot, but on a second thought it could be a beacon for those who still don't know of the kittens. Anybody who sees a sign goes near to read it :D
    Do you have any rescues you could ring to help you? If you move them, even a few metres they'll still likely be spotted by people as they'll be wandering about fairly soon.

Usually I do the rescues and then re-home the cats, but this situation is a bit hot, the kittens are too young to be handled or taken from their mother.
    You're right, though, in less than a couple of weeks the little ones will be able to wander around.
    I'd be inclined to wait another week, trap all of them including the mother. At 4 weeks while still young, they are strong enough to survive away from the mother and she can be safely neutered then (4 weeks is the safe zone for spaying after giving birth).

Trapping the mother will be the toughest part of the task. She's very sly and smart, she steers clear from any human being, and even when I bring her some food she waits for me to be far enough before eating, and still she does not feel safe to go straight to the bowl.
    At the moment my priority are the kittens...

Advertisement