Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best type of cake to use in silicon mould

Options
  • 29-04-2014 3:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a cake recipe to use in a silicon mould.

My little boy's birthday is this week and he picked out the castle cake mould in Aldi.

I was wondering if a muffin mixture might work in it?

Anyone any experience in this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I used a cupcake/madeira recipe for a 'giant cupcake' last year and it worked really well, I'll post it this evening if you like. It's just a plain vanilla cake but baked evenly and was dense enough to stand up to icing and lots of decorations, without being 'tough'!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

dee_mc wrote: »
    I used a cupcake/madeira recipe for a 'giant cupcake' last year and it worked really well, I'll post it this evening if you like. It's just a plain vanilla cake but baked evenly and was dense enough to stand up to icing and lots of decorations, without being 'tough'!

That would be great thanks very much

Hiya just remembered I said I'd post this last night, sorry I forgot til now!

Giant cupcake recipe
    340g very soft butter, 340g caster sugar, 5 large eggs, 340g self-raising flour, 3 level tsp baking powder, few drops vanilla extract, 3 tblsp milk (if needed).

- Preheat oven 180 Celsius (fan oven)
    - Grease tin (unflavoured oil)
    - Cream butter and sugar; add vanilla. Beat for about 5 minutes.
    - Add eggs, flour and baking powder alternately. Add milk if needed.
    *For giant cupcake there are 2 separate cakes - the recipe recommends filling the smaller side of the tin to 1.5cm from the top, then using the rest of the mixture to fill the large side. For the castle cake mould you should probably fill about 3/4 of the way up. Baking time is 40-45 minutes, but obviously that'll vary a bit depending on the size of the tin.
    - Leave to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes before unmoulding.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Brilliant, thanks so much. Making this in the morning so perfect timing.

Cool hope it goes well! Just a tip, don't overfill the mould - you could do cupcakes with any leftover mixture :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement