Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 and J2 visa questions

Options
  • 29-04-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been offered a job in the US which would require me getting a J1 visa. I'm getting married shortly and my OH works in a field which would be ok to get his own J1 visa in. The HR dept in "my" job have been helpful, but I thought I'd also ask here to get a non-biased response (they're eager to hire me, and I'd be interested in hearing pros/cons as to how we should proceed).

Our options are:
    I can apply for a J1 and he can apply for a J2 affiliated with my visa.
    Or he can hold out until he gets a job offer of his own - either stay back here (not much fun) or come with me on a holiday for the 90 days (possibly annoying time in store at immigration)

Q1 - is he even allowed job hunt while on a J2?
    Q2 - if he is allowed, is he able to just change from a J1 to a J2 easily enough or would it require travel back to the embassy in Ireland/other country?

Any advice is gladly received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

J2 can not only job hunt but they can work. They must apply for an EAD which takes up to 90 days from arrival. Their work cannot financially support the J1, you should be able to pay your rent without it.

Advertisement