Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPD for AMLS

Options
  • 29-04-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm sorry if I'm repeating an old topic but I just want some clarification!

I did a masters in Biomedical Science, and my undergrad degree in Microbiology and Physiology. Would this be enough to allow me to be eligible for the AMLS or do I need to undertake the CPD diploma from DIT? I'm aware I need to carry out lab placement, but I want to make sure I reach all the critera before I even begin looking into that!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

Hi sunrise91

I'm in undergrad of the DIT programme, but I'm not sure what the way the CPD course works with regard to eligibility.

The AMLS produced this document last year and it details the various pathways to membership - you can find it on their website under the "Membership" section, it's down the bottom of the page and is called "Pathways to Practice as Medical Scientist".

The best thing to do would be contact the AMLS and get a concrete answer as to the eligibility of the CPD program. I would also advise that you contact hospitals before taking a place on the CPD programme, as I know that DIT don't arrange your lab based placement, and there's no point in doing the CPD course if your going to have difficulty getting a placement afterwards in order to satisfy the AMLS.

If you've any other questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The document Stephen mentioned, "Pathways to Membership" lays out all the criteria. If you haven't studied the core disciplines at undergrad level (haematology, transfusion, histology, clinical micro and clinical biochem) then you need to top up your degree with them in either DIT or university of ulster.
    Again, as Stephen said, finding the clinical placement is the biggest hurdle for most. Labs can't afford to hire locums at the moment, it's highly unlikely that any public lab would be able to pay a student. Also as there are few locums and staff retiring may not be replaced, labs may say that their staff don't have the time to take on another student. If you can, try to emphasise anything in your CV that shows that you have strong initiative, the ability to complete a task on your own given direction etc.
    Another point on the placement is that if you get one it can be they key to future jobs. There are only about 1800 of us in about 40 labs. The small community effect of this acts as an extra reference check when you apply for a job.

Where did you do your MSc? Is it AMLS approved/recognised? Why do you want to work as a medical scientist?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Thanks for the replies, I did my MSc in NUIG, so unfortunately it's not approved by the AMLS. I looked more into eligibility for membership according to the membership document on the AMLS website, and I haven't covered all of the core disciplines. I contacted them to confirm I need to do the CPD but no reply yet..

Does the placement need to be in a hospital lab? Do you have any recommendations on where to begin looking for this placement? Very much regretting not doing a course already accredited with the ALMS to save all this hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

There is an accredited course in GMIT, it may be worth asking if you could be exempt from year one or two of that course? On the basis of the degree you already have. Then do the placement and required modules as part of that course.

In terms of getting the placement on your own you would have to get in contact with the lab managers of each hospital with a lab. I can't remember off the top of my head if the lab has to be in a hospital but I do remember that it has to be accredited.

What is it about the job that interests you?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mad al

sunrise91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I did my MSc in NUIG, so unfortunately it's not approved by the AMLS. I looked more into eligibility for membership according to the membership document on the AMLS website, and I haven't covered all of the core disciplines. I contacted them to confirm I need to do the CPD but no reply yet..

Does the placement need to be in a hospital lab? Do you have any recommendations on where to begin looking for this placement? Very much regretting not doing a course already accredited with the ALMS to save all this hassle!

I have never heard of anyone not doing their placement in a hospital. To be honest, places in all the Dublin hospitals are always very tight due to the number of DIT students. I'd imagine it's the same in Cork and Galway. In the last few years DIT have had to send students to places like Naas and Cavan due to limited spaces. You might be better off contacting lab managers in hospitals like Waterford, Mullingar, Tullamore, Drogheda, Cavan and Letterkenny.

Your main problem is that there would be no incentive for a hospital to take you on. The colleges pay an allowance to lab trainers. So unless you offered to pay a training allowance or to split your time between training and working for free as a laboratory aide, say over a 12-14 month period, it wouldn't be worth their while. Labs are already stretched for staff and find the number of students they have already tough going.

If you are ever in Dublin try to arrange a meeting with the AMLS. The staff are all really helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement