Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent pub within reach of Tyrrellstown

Options
  • 29-04-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of a decent pub in the locale.

We have Jack O'Neills (ex Thirsty Bull) near the shops, but its pretty empty most of the time, doesn't serve food any more & most of the time the curtains are closed so you dont know if its day or night :rolleyes:

There's the Carlton Hotel bar (enough said !)....would I have to go out towards Blanchardstown maybe ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

How far are you willing to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yeah I think you will have to go into Blanch or at least down to Mulhuddart village.
    There is also a pub in the opposite direction over in Hollystown but cant see it being any livelier then tyrellstown.

Couple of pubs over on the N2, which isn't far away. I always liked the Carpenter or Brady's of all the pubs in the Blanch area. Clonsilla Inn was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from DCN as the D15 regulars would be better able to advise you. :)

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The 12th lock is very nice, also The Carpenter and The paddocks is also nice.

The paddocks is probably your closets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

No Pants wrote: »
    Couple of pubs over on the N2, which isn't far away. I always liked the Carpenter or Brady's of all the pubs in the Blanch area. Clonsilla Inn was okay.

I guess within a short taxi drive or even better bus route - just fancy a change of venue with a buzz about the place & a decent pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You'd imagine one of the only pubs in an area with Tyrellstown's population would be lively, how is it so quiet?? I remember a pub in a large new suburb of Galway closing down a couple of years back, that seemed to be more to do with the fact that the area was home to a large immigrant population form cultures which wouldn't necessarily be into the pub scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You'd imagine one of the only pubs in an area with Tyrellstown's population would be lively, how is it so quiet?? I remember a pub in a large new suburb of Galway closing down a couple of years back, that seemed to be more to do with the fact that the area was home to a large immigrant population form cultures which wouldn't necessarily be into the pub scene.

Original operators made a balls of it. Turned a lot of locals off going in. It just didn't feel like a local as such. As locals got turned off they started attracting / welcoming people barred from other local pubs. More locals alienated. Vicious circle stuff. Even with the change of ownership it's not been great. The lack of food now just makes it even less attractive as a social venue.

Halfway house on Navan Road is a perfect example of a busy local pub that attracts customers from further afield. IMHO that's what the Tyrrelstown pub should be modelled on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bcmf wrote: »
    There is also a pub in the opposite direction over in Hollystown but cant see it being any livelier then tyrellstown.

Do you mean Kilbride, it's not that close, and is quiet enough too.

I would say the fact that there's a large amount of young families in the area has an affect on its custom. Had it been 5 or 6 years ago there'd be plenty of custom available.

The pub itself is fine, but if you're not a soccer fan it's not the place to be. I went up on Sunday to try catch the Heineken Cup semi final and there was soccer on every single screen so went home again.

Original operators made a balls of it. Turned a lot of locals off going in. It just didn't feel like a local as such. As locals got turned off they started attracting / welcoming people barred from other local pubs. More locals alienated. Vicious circle stuff. Even with the change of ownership it's not been great. The lack of food now just makes it even less attractive as a social venue. .

Thats what I've heard about it & the fact that a lot of the residents locally aren't of a pub culture & prefer to drink at home. Probably why the off licence and Lidl beer & wine seem to be doing quite well.

It's a shame, I'm up in Dub weekdays & to have a place local for a pint and a newspaper is all I ask, but Jack O'Neills is very very quiet. A pint is €4.20 midweek, but even at that, there were 6 people in there last night (including me) to watch the Champions League.

I'll have a look at the map & see if some of the suggestions are 'bussable' - I know Blanch is, but no doubt the bus routes go near some of those suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The shanty or whatever its called these days would be the next closest to you in Mulhuddart. Salmons in Mountview not far either. The White Horse or the Brock Inn on the Ashbourne road if you go the other direction.

Wouldnt the closest pub on the bus route be in Finglas Village?

Andip wrote: »
    Thats what I've heard about it & the fact that a lot of the residents locally aren't of a pub culture & prefer to drink at home.

Or as I said, have young families and aren't part of the regular pub going crowd.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Wouldnt the closest pub on the bus route be in Finglas Village?
    I'm not familiar with the bus routes since the Urbus stopped, but in terms of mileage, you're probably right.

The 40D joins the N2 at Finglas Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I've only been to the carpenter and the castleknock hotel, both are ok. The hotel is nice on a sunny day, about 0.04% of any given year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think any community with a large % of non nationals will not guarantee a pub's success as from what I've observed over the last 10 years is that non national immigrants (particularly Eastern Europeans and Africans who would be heavily represented in places like Tyrellstown and Ongar - where I live) do not frequent pubs. I bellieve many Eastern Europeans just purchase off licence and drink with friends in their own houses/apartments. I'm not sure what African nationals drinking habits are but I rarely see them stocking up on alco in the supermarkets and almost never see them in a pub.

Pity the Tyrellstown local turned out the way as described above as it's rather isolated suburb. The local in Ongar almost turned out the same way as regards that "vicious circle" description but the recent relaunch, impeccable service and food offering has very much improved the ambience, appeal and type of custom to the place. I've been several times since it opened earlier this year. It was rocking last Saturday early evening when myself and the OH went for dinner. The place was full with diners, lads watching the match and some just having a quite drink. Live music was on later and a bouncer to keep order. Amazing what a change of management can do!

OP - I guess Blanch or Mulhuddart is the nearest option but you'd need a taxi or a designated driver!

Surprisingly Jack O'Neills in Tyrrellstown started serving food again yesterday !, it looked fairly good but seemed quite expensive seeing as you are eating it on the bar or from a pub table. No 'bistro' setting which makes a steak at €25 and crab claws at €15 seem overpriced in my view.

Its a shame as that could have been a good draw if they had their pricing right, but I certainly wont be paying that when there's a decent indian & chinese next door.

Andip wrote: »
    No 'bistro' setting which makes a steak at €25 and crab claws at €15 seem overpriced in my view.
    Depends on the steak and what comes with it. I wouldn't expect to get a decent steak, cooked the way I want it, for less than €23.

Either way, give your feedback. Maybe they'll bring in an early-bird menu or something.

Advertisement