Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec predictions?

• 29-04-2014 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any predictions as to what will appear on the home ec paper this year? :) our teacher told us vitamins/minerals are likely but obviously I'll be learning proteins,carbs and fats too. I'm revising all the nutrients at the moment and I'm looking for a B grade so what topics do you think I should definitely be covering? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Know your elective really well! And maybe the core sociology (marraige family etc.) cos that's a guaranteed question.
    Theres also a guaranteed question on the section with family resource management, the consumer and textiles... but I hate that
    Apparently meat is due up too

Anybody any clue on whats coming up in the social elective?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cailin123

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Know your elective really well! And maybe the core sociology (marraige family etc.) cos that's a guaranteed question.
    Theres also a guaranteed question on the section with family resource management, the consumer and textiles... but I hate that
    Apparently meat is due up too

Anybody any clue on whats coming up in the social elective?

My teacher thinks childcare and the childcare protection act due to the uproar about the child abuse in day cares this year. But who knows really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks guys :) I've read that a vitamin c and calcium question is likely, what do you think? Heard a lot of meat predictions going around too!

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Thanks guys :) I've read that a vitamin c and calcium question is likely, what do you think? Heard a lot of meat predictions going around too!

Minerals and Vitamins are definitely important, key is going over them every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jackson07

I also think protein will be pretty big and maybe milk or eggs or cheese!
    Anyone know about the management section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Jackson07

Jackson07 wrote: »
    I also think protein will be pretty big and maybe milk or eggs or cheese!
    Anyone know about the management section?

Oh yeah I also think calcium and vitamin b group will be important!

I love sociology so I'm so happy that we are guaranteed a question on that. Does anyone know what grade you'd get if you got full marks on sociology and elective section(excluding all other parts) lol obviously I know everything else really well but it seems like they're worth a lot of marks. Also are we guaranteed a question on consumer studies and resource management or is just one? Obviously our teacher told us but I've forgotten :p I. HATE studying all the food spoilage and food hygiene plus microbiology but it's probably gonna make an appearance in the shorts so no avoiding it unfortunately :/ I like learning about the Irish food industry so I'd love a question on one of the diet related problems & changes in the irish diet. The 2013 paper was truly abysmal and our teacher told us it seems every 2 years they give a 'nice' paper and because there was such uproar over last year's paper the SEC won't won't a repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maeveol

My teacher thought maybe calcium and vitamin D(:
    Electrical appliances,
    Budgeting
    Consumer credit act!:)

Do you guys think meat is an almost definite? Also heard childcare/leisure for elective

Anyone bothering with Vitamin E or K?? or the beta carotine version of vitamin A?
    Think Ill just sick with retinol, Vit D, Vit C and Vit B1+2 (maybe a bit of folic acid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I think the vitamins &minerals for q1 parts b and c but don't forget half the q will be the chart and part d - both usually worth 20marks each so half the q.
    I always think how you approach the question is half the battle - for the chart do a table format with the comment (use the figures etc), in one box, next to it analyse the figure (highest, lowest, 2nd highest etc) and then next to that in a 3rd column analyse it - whatever the question is asking you do. Always quote back the wording from the question cos it helps focus your answer.

Same for the sociology questions. I'm sure your teacher has said to use bullet points (these can be still be several sentences long, they are not meant to be one liners) and fully expand on the answer. Explain what you mean and explain it again if necessary - and again use the words from the question "that is how it affects the child" or whatever

And practice the short questions! The 2additional questions in section b are 50 marks each. Section a is 60 marks! So if looking for top marks you need to score highly here too. Be sure to answer the exact question being asked lol

Hth best of luck!

Great advice happywithlife, thank you :) And thanks everyone for predictions :) Does everyone think meat is almost a cert to appear? If fish that came up....eek: I will be so happy if protein, calcium,vit c and vit b1 and b2 appear! Also childcare/leisure/education for social elective would be fab :D for Q5 I hope conflict is up :)

Great advice happywithlife, thank you :) And thanks everyone for predictions :) Does everyone think meat is almost a cert to appear? If fish that came up....eek: I will be so happy if protein, calcium,vit c and vit b1 and b2 appear! Also childcare/leisure/education for social elective would be fab :D for Q5 I hope conflict is up :)
    I agree, if all that came up I would be content with life! Lets hope for the best, good luck!

Cailin123 wrote: »
    I agree, if all that came up I would be content with life! Lets hope for the best, good luck!

I'd have such a big smile on my face if all that came up :D Fingers crossed! Thanks, you too! :)

Good Luck everyone, hopefully nice questions come up
    see you here for a rant about how it went tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Just wondering how people got on overall?
    Pretty happy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement