Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe another?

Options
  • 29-04-2014 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

So my favorite part of the game is transfers and the start of a GW is when transfers happen most. Pretty sure everyone got an extra free club slot so I was going to create another world for the craic. I was going to go with unknown teams but I think people will lose interest very fast, like with Leeds and whoever else in the Copa league.

Any interest in a Top 20 league?

Maybe 2 divs x 10 teams, finish bottom get sacked, no buying from unmanaged, login every 7 days, lots of money and lots of top players to go around

Don't bother calling a team, if it goes ahead I'll set a time for people to apply and it'll be first come first served

Any interest in a new league? 8 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, top teams, Barca, Real, Bayern
    12% 1 vote
    Yes, relatively unknown teams, i.e league 2 or something
    87% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Only new to SM, but have enjoyed learning the ropes with Div Marseille, wouldnt mind giving this a bash too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

BigMac was supposed to be setting up a league like this months ago, but never bothered. If your gunna do it i'll throw my name down.

Kaiser Chiefs are who i wanted in macs league that never happened so i'm requesting the same team here.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gerp99

I will be up for it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

swoody wrote: »
    BigMac was supposed to be setting up a league like this months ago, but never bothered. If your gunna do it i'll throw my name down.

Kaiser Chiefs are who i wanted in macs league that never happened so i'm requesting the same team here.

Yeah I was wondering what happened to that.

The problem is, if you want them but most others want Barca etc, will it end up like Leeds etc in the Copa? The original manager leaves and no one wants Leeds and it's a team left, never to be used again... :(

Anyway, sure we'll see if the interest is there first and go from there. Fire up and settings you'd like/dislike while you're at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'd be interested too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

My free slots are full,

but would be interested and would go Gold if you decide to go ahead with it.

I like the idea Mac had of that Gameworld full of smaller clubs and so would like it if this one went that way.

I think, as you suggest, that it needs to be all or nothing in terms of the small clubs.

If you were going down that road I would like to be Blackburn if we are allowed pick the teams.

Other than that the other rules don't really bother me that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Yeah i would be up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd like the idea of a smaller teams league - I call dibs on Brighton if it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

I play in a league where it was one team from each country and you can only but players from that nation. Each team started off with an empty squad, I only joined it after it was a few seasons old, wud this be of interest to anyone here??? I wudnt be interested in another league where its the top 20 teams in the world, make it a bit different!

Ps I want shelbourne Or shef wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering what happened to that.

The problem is, if you want them but most others want Barca etc, will it end up like Leeds etc in the Copa? The original manager leaves and no one wants Leeds and it's a team left, never to be used again... :(

Anyway, sure we'll see if the interest is there first and go from there. Fire up and settings you'd like/dislike while you're at it :)

I feckin dont.... :pac:

I'm in though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

I'm in as well.

Don't mind if it's a super league or league of smaller teams.

Seeing as everyone is calling if it's big teams I'd like Bayern Munich or if their called already by someone, then Dortmund.

If it's smaller clubs I'd love Nottingham Forest :)

Well then ill call Barca!!! Or if we are doing small teams AFC Wimbledon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

If we go with lesser known teams ... Club Brugge

If we go with big teams ... Anderlecht

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The original manager leaves and no one wants Leeds and it's a team left, never to be used again... :(

That was something I said would happen in Copa, and I was right. If you're going to start a new league have it as level a playing field as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yes I had all intentions of setting this up but got very busy with kids and work so drive on if you want too set it up! Id say teams from the 3rd &4 th tier of Europes leagues. Maybe a few from the top tier of say irish league randomise it and away we go as everyone will try too rebuild the entire squad any ways it doesn't matter what club you take initially

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'd probably be up for this.

My only concern with small teams is that only the die hard players would stick it out, others would get bored.

I am all for 7 day log ins thou.

Lads I already said don't bother calling teams... need to set the guidelines for them first. Can't ave someone picking a conference team and someone else picking Championship, that'd be as bad as say Barca and Leeds

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    My only concern with small teams is that only the die hard players would stick it out, others would get bored.

I am all for 7 day log ins thou.

Thats my fear. It's only €12 but I don't want to waste it either!!1

Thats my fear. It's only €12 but I don't want to waste it either!!1

Sure if your the one paying and small teams worries you then go for a 2 division super league that should def keep and gain interest! :)

I'll throw in my rules recommendations sure:

1. 7 day log in

2. No buying unmanaged teams

3. Bottom manager sacked. Let's face it, it will make things more competitive as lads will have to make an effort in case their team tumbles down the league. Actually think this should be a big one as there's enough of leagues available without it for anyone that doesn't like it.

Here's an interesting one, how about cash only transfers? It would make cash extremely useful and stop the tranfer market stagnating like the main league? Some will say "oh they'll just bump up the price if they can't p/e" but still it means more players moving around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Sure if your the one paying and small teams worries you then go for a 2 division super league that should def keep and gain interest! :)

1. 7 day log in

3. Bottom manager sacked. Let's face it, it will make things more competitive as lads will have to make an effort in case their team tumbles down the league. Actually think this should be a big one as there's enough of leagues available without it for anyone that doesn't like it.

Here's an interesting one, how about cash only transfers? It would make cash extremely useful and stop the tranfer market stagnating like the main league? Some will say "oh they'll just bump up the price if they can't p/e" but still it means more players moving around?

Copa Del Boards already exists with these rules (except the log in)......... and KERSPLAT is the admin of that already. (plenty of teams available btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

1. 7 day log in

would agree with 1 and 2 but not with 3 where as 4 is an interesting idea.

on 3: I'm making the effort you mention in the boards league and Porto are just in free fall at them moment, the game isnt consistent enough to consider this in my opinion. There is soo many reasons why I dont think this is a good idea

-newly promoteds getting relegated?
    -new manager only got x games to try save the club
    -smaller / weaker squads
    -bad start to a season / concentrating on a cup run
    -people spend x time building a squad - ( if it happened to me that I then loose that squad, that would be me dont with the GW ... I think there are enough free slots in the Coppa del boards to prove it's hard enough to fill all the teams without sacking people who put in time and effort in their team)

Are you going to propose a different exemption for each case?

I think the 7 day login rule would already create a big enough turn around of managers

swoody wrote: »
    Copa Del Boards already exists with these rules (except the log in)......... and KERSPLAT is the admin of that already. (plenty of teams available btw)

I know dude I'm just saying if he doesn't really want small teams I'd support a league of big teams as well if that's what he's prefer :)

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    would agree with 1 and 2 but not with 3 where as 4 is an interesting idea.

on 3: I'm making the effort you mention in the boards league and Porto are just in free fall at them moment, the game isnt consistent enough to consider this in my opinion. There is soo many reasons why I dont think this is a good idea

-newly promoteds getting relegated?
    -new manager only got x games to try save the club
    -smaller / weaker squads
    -bad start to a season / concentrating on a cup run
    -people spend x time building a squad - ( if it happened to me that I then loose that squad, that would be me dont with the GW ... I think there are enough free slots in the Coppa del boards to prove it's hard enough to fill all the teams without sacking people who put in time and effort in their team)

Are you going to propose a different exemption for each case?

I think the 7 day login rule would already create a big enough turn around of managers

I'll be honest and say I totally get and respect your points but frankly any of them wouldn't bother me, for example a bad league run due to concentrating due to a cup, a promoted team going back down, etc it's all part of the game to me and makes it exciting.

However in saying that you have reminded me of the crucial point that the game engine is all over the place and gives some very stupid results so that is a concern alright and on that I would support not sacking if that concerned most people, at least until we see what their new match engine is like.

I don't mind either way really as I just enjoy the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Personally, I'd always favour a GW of lower league teams because it means you have to spend wisely. Plus it means you're starting form scratch so you can build your own team. There are also several Board leagues (and many, many other leagues) that also have just the top teams and, to be honest, it get's a bit stale and repetitive after a while, so why not do something new and go with smaller teams.

Also, for people comparing Leeds & Barcelona (e.g.) in the Copa League, I urge you to look at my own Cork City in the same league. It's only the second season yet they are competitive. Clearly, in smaller leagues, the really small teams are only uncompetitive for a season at the most due to high T.V. revenue, and increased stadium capacity for the second season.

I would also be in favour of smaller divisions. Overall, there are four leagues run by Boards members (including Tupac's unofficial Boards League) with a lot of the same users in each that all contain divisions of 20, so why not do something different and go for a 10/12 team league?

So, just to conclude, my preference would be a league of smaller teams (league 1, league 2, and the SSE Airtricity League), with 12 or 16 teams per division. Actually, 16 teams in a division works quite well I think so maybe that would be best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I play in a league where it was one team from each country and you can only but players from that nation. Each team started off with an empty squad, I only joined it after it was a few seasons old, wud this be of interest to anyone here??? I wudnt be interested in another league where its the top 20 teams in the world, make it a bit different!

I know you do, because I was there first!! :D :P I manage Cork City in that world.

Actually, I think it would be the opposite. Nobody will sell. At least in a p/e deal you're getting a replacement player or another important player. With cash only deals, there is no guarantee that you'll get a replacement if you sell on one of your key players in an attempt to improve your squad with the proceeds.

Having said that though, in a smaller league there will be less teams to compete with for players which will help to somewhat dilute the above scenario as it may not be as hard to find that replacement(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Here's what I originally suggested

"So as I said yesterday I'm going too start a league soon (next few weeks) with NO teams from any premier division around Europe (well maybe irish prem) they'll be teams from the second tier ie championship or lower. No manager will get too choose his team or division too start off with ill just do a random generator too decide this. Has anyone any suggestions for this world? Squad cap won't be needed as the best players in the world will all be at externals so it will just be a matter of affording them."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

count me in if this starts up!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm in if it starts.

Make sure the teams have similar average ratings and also try and make sure there isn't one club with a massive stadium. Like Bradford and Darlington would be small clubs but have 25k seater stadiums, so would have an advantage in a world like this over other similar rated clubs.

Advertisement