Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build or buy a cat house?

• 29-04-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I've been asked to make a cat house for someone, and I'm wondering how cheap cat houses are? It'll be for outside summer use (cat stays in during the winter, but tends to stay outside during the summer), so I'm wondering should I build or buy?

Building is not a problem. Have done woodwork for my LC, so know the basics, and thus not afraid to make one myself. Have done general woodworking since LC, and have the tools to do so.

If I go forward on this, I'll probably just source the wood for free on adverts, etc. Money will be spent on some basic insulation, cat flap, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, has anyone built one themselves, and how did it turn out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

They can be expensive to buy. We paid about 90 pounds for one on Amazon, although it is made of Redwood and has a flat roof(tar)? or whatever it's called. It came with a built in catflap and my husband insulated it. You can buy cheap styrofoam sheets in various sizes on Amazon as insulation. We put some fleece blankets and vetbed in too.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to make if you have basic carpentry skills and the right tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I've been thinking of trying to build one myself this summer from whatever wood I have knocking about. I'm going to try and copy one that zooplus sell for about €60. It's got a kind of upstairs veranda. There are a good few pics on the page and all the various dimensions.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/cat_houses/outdoor/278231
    If it works out ok I'll post up a pick. It might not look as nice as this one!

Damn Binka, that looks fancy! I'm also wondering should I put it on some sort of stilts? I'm unsure if the garden it'll be in is secure.

Raising it is probably a good idea. We have ours up on some breeze blocks to stop any water getting in to it. The cat might prefer a little bit of height as well.

• Advertisement

We have 4 cats and none of them has the slightest interest in boxes, then again, I see lovely photos of other peoples cats curled up asleep together and we're just happy that ours aren't harassing each other:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Binka wrote: »
    I've been thinking of trying to build one myself this summer from whatever wood I have knocking about. I'm going to try and copy one that zooplus sell for about €60. It's got a kind of upstairs veranda. There are a good few pics on the page and all the various dimensions.
    If it works out ok I'll post up a pick. It might not look as nice as this one!

That looks super fancy! Our cat wont go into anything she has no escape route from though, so might need to have a back door as well as a front.

We have 4 cats and none of them has the slightest interest in boxes, then again, I see lovely photos of other peoples cats curled up asleep together and we're just happy that ours aren't harassing each other:)

Thats interesting, all mine love them, as soon as there is a box they are in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I've been asked to make a cat house for someone, and I'm wondering how cheap cat houses are? It'll be for outside summer use (cat stays in during the winter, but tends to stay outside during the summer), so I'm wondering should I build or buy?

Building is not a problem. Have done woodwork for my LC, so know the basics, and thus not afraid to make one myself. Have done general woodworking since LC, and have the tools to do so.

If I go forward on this, I'll probably just source the wood for free on adverts, etc. Money will be spent on some basic insulation, cat flap, etc.

Hi The Syco,
    I wanted to build a cat house myself two years ago, I drew the draft of the project as well, but then again I decided to give it up and buy a cat house on-line because the cost would have been the same.
    I bought it from zooplus. This is the Italian page of the item I bought
    http://www.zooplus.it/shop/gatti/giochi_gatti/casette_gatti/228222
    this is the Irish page for the same item
    same price :)
    It comes in two boxes, you have to mount it, instructions are enclosed. It takes half an hour, but I advice you to give it two layers of protective paint before you mount it to save the timber from sun and moisture.

My cat loved it as long as he lived. Now the house is still there, outside, empty... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Hi The Syco,
    I wanted to build a cat house myself two years ago, I drew the draft of the project as well, but then again I decided to give it up and buy a cat house on-line because the cost would have been the same.
    I bought it from zooplus. This is the Italian page of the item I bought
    http://www.zooplus.it/shop/gatti/giochi_gatti/casette_gatti/228222
    this is the Irish page for the same item
    same price :)
    It comes in two boxes, you have to mount it, instructions are enclosed. It takes half an hour, but I advice you to give it two layers of protective paint before you mount it to save the timber from sun and moisture.

My cat loved it as long as he lived. Now the house is still there, outside, empty... :(

There's no banister on those stairs!!! :eek:

316667.jpg
    So, found a supply of cheap wood (through a mate). My size 12 boot was included to give perception of size of the wood that I had got.

It'll be raised a few inches off the ground, and shall have the rear exit at the upper back, accessible via a wooden post surrounded by carpet (that can also be used as a scratching post). Shall keep ye updated.

/EDIT
    Gonna paint the inside, to allow it to be cleaned easier. Is there a colour that cats don't like?

Hrm. How big would a "large" cat be?

In regards to a cat flap; http://www.petshoponline.ie/cat-1/cat-door?dir=asc&order=price

Hrm. How big would a "large" cat be?

In regards to a cat flap; http://www.petshoponline.ie/cat-1/cat-door?dir=asc&order=price

Flea treatments say over 4kg as a large cat. Is the cat used to a cat flap? I only ask as our chap never got the hang of the cat flap, the other 3 have no problem with it but we have to keep it tied open with a big elastic band, it's the same with the cat flap on his cat Kennel.

As for inside and painting it. Ours has a detachable roof which isn't secured, it just lifts off and makes it very handy for cleaning/changing bedding. My husband lined the inside with some very thin silver insulation paper stuff and just used thumb tacks to secure it, it's easy to wipe down. You could get some very thin sheets of styrofoam too. Just a thought.

Flea treatments say over 4kg as a large cat. Is the cat used to a cat flap? I only ask as our chap never got the hang of the cat flap, the other 3 have no problem with it but we have to keep it tied open with a big elastic band, it's the same with the cat flap on his cat Kennel.
    I've found out that I should use a cat flap, and maybe only have three walls, I I'll just leave a large gap in the fourth wall.
    Ours has a detachable roof which isn't secured, it just lifts off and makes it very handy for cleaning/changing bedding.
    Not sure about this, as I think the cat owner is elderly.
    My husband lined the inside with some very thin silver insulation paper stuff and just used thumb tacks to secure it, it's easy to wipe down. You could get some very thin sheets of styrofoam too. Just a thought.
    Sounds like a good idea, but it sounds like the cat house is more for the cat to lounge in during the day, thus no insulation, and perhaps a very large hole, rather than a small door.

I'm unsure should I do a "lip" to stop the rain, or leave it fully open to catch the sun?

It'll be 20cm off the ground, and the main part will be 70cm*50cm*50cm (L*W*H), so should be roomy enough for the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

My recently finished DIY cathouse made from 90% pallets and leftover wood.
    The roof is nearly finished, just have to get some felt for it.

Overlap the panels and make sure each corner piece comes tight against the panels.

106lv1g.jpg
    b5fpj4.jpg

Peterfalks one is very impressive. Similar to the one we bought and ours has a flat roof too. I'd have a lip to stop the rain. Our guy spends most of his time in the house during the day and prefers to go out at night. We got it because last year, when he arrived one of our other cats was really bullying him and as soon as we went to bed he'd go straight out the catflap.

We hated seeing him sitting in the pouring rain so we had to get him somewhere safe, warm and dry to go when he went out. Just so long as it's sheltered and snug it should be fine. We put fleece blankets in the bottom and it's nice and snug if he goes in there. Not had a lot of use since Winter as things have settled a lot between him and the other chap:)

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Overlap the panels and make sure each corner piece comes tight against the panels.
    I'll be screwing the planks I got to the outside of the corner posts, and then adding nails to ensure it moves less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I'll be screwing the planks I got to the outside of the corner posts, and then adding nails to ensure it moves less.

I think you might get leaks in at the side in heavy rain.

Try building the frame, put the overlapping panels on and then close in the sides with some struts (ensure they cover the side of the overlapping panels).

2vayupu.png

Do the same then for the back and front and screw it all together.

• Advertisement

So... had one pallet. Did a rough look, and decided I would need more wood.

So looked around, and before xmas got 3 more pallets. Had a really bad cold over xmas (really bad = even unable to go drinking!), so nothing done after getting the pallets. Got around to taking them apart yesterday, and finished up with

335497.jpg

Put them together and got the following;

335496.jpg

The loose blocks on top were what helped to hold the floor up;

335495.jpg

And the built house;

335494.jpg

335493.jpg

Built, not finished. Going to paint the sides of the house with some water proofing paint, which gives it a brownish hue. This will be following by putting a sheet of waterproof stuff that you'd line a pond with. Won't be covering the entire thing with this stuff, as the shelter would be too warm during the summer, and as far as I know, it'll only be used during the summer. The door opening is 20cm off the ground, so the cat can keep an eye out :)

The wood left over will be used for a hen run, to allow the three hens to be left on the lawn without fear of neighbouring cats attacking them (we have about 4 or 5 that regularly come past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

That's fantastic. You'll make one old lady and her cat very happy.

Gave it one coat of some wood protector stuff, and it also gives it a nice colour :) Also had some pond stuff left over, and put it on the top for extra waterproofing.

The bottom;
    336402.jpg

Right way up;
    336403.jpg

Finished;
    336404.jpg

So, it being summerish, it seems the kitty likes to chill in the house when outside :)

349126.jpg

349125.jpg

That looks great, now all puss needs is some warm blankets/bedding and it'll be like a boutique kitty cat hotel.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Looks fab, great job, thinking of trying one myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Looks good - I can recommend the €59 one from zooplus, I've bought two, one for my mother and one for myself. They are good but like all things wood wont last forever outside unless you treat it.

Advertisement