Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling banned from Clippers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well to be clear, it won't be Magic. Magic is not that rich. But he will be the poster boy/face of the franchise if his group get to buy it IF IT'S PUT UP FOR SALE.
    You knew exactly what I meant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

3/4th majority

Some owners who have already expressed support, Likely to vote against Sterling

1. Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon.
    2. Los Angeles Lakers co-owner Jeanie Buss.
    3. Portland Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen.
    4. Philadelphia 76ers managing owner Josh Harris
    5. Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert
    6. Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé
    7. Golden State Warriors majority owner Joe Lacob

I'm sure more will follow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Woj reporting that an owner has said.that silver will have all of the super majority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

This has court case written all over it unless Sterling decides to cash out. He made those remarks in private, not in a League Ownership or speaking on behalf of the NBA capacity. I think they'll really struggle with this. There is no precedence.

Only potential court case would involve Sterling suing whoever recorded/leaked the conversation.......NBA is a private entity and well within their rights to ban any individual from their events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Didnt Magic make a balls of the Dodgers?

He was no great shakes in the office for Lakers either

If his business and basketball operations ability is as bad as his analysis Clippers would be screwed. Why on earth would a Laker want to improve their rivals?I know soccer player have moved to hated rivals and dented their reputation (well in England) but Magic to clippers is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ya but that is America. I am sure Mickey Jordan has said a few things about white players back in the day.I kinda see it being difficult for the other owners to support a forced sale. Lord knows, bar Cuban (who seems a decent guy) Sterling could have a load of dirt on them.

If sterling had sense, he would sell and run with the money

Dennis Rodman once said in a post-match interview that if Larry Bird was black he'd be seen as just another player, which Isiah Thomas agreed with!

No doubt Michael Jordan will vote against.

Clayton Bennett would probably support Sterling. Scumbag that he is.

22 of the 29 teams will have to vote against

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

No doubt Michael Jordan will vote against.

And your logic behind that statement is what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The other owners wouldn't vote him out. It hasnt damaged their team. This is a team issue rather than an NBA issue. The other owners will also be afraid that a fire sell could potentially force down their tesms values. If he is forced to sell there is no less buyer for their team

And your logic behind that statement is what?

Jordan said in a statement released early Sunday afternoon. “As an owner, I’m obviously disgusted that a fellow team owner could hold such sickening and offensive views. I’m confident that Adam Silver will make a full investigation and take appropriate action quickly.
    “As a former player, I’m completely outraged. There is no room in the NBA – or anywhere else – for the kind of racism and hatred that Mr. Sterling allegedly expressed. I am appalled that this type of ignorance still exists within our country and at the highest levels of our sport. In a league where the majority of players are African-American, we cannot and must not tolerate discrimination at any level.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

WOW would be amazing if Magic bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

kmart6 wrote: »
    You knew exactly what I meant.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be smart, was just clarifying.

There are those who thought Jay Z owned the Nets for example......

Didnt Magic make a balls of the Dodgers? Yup

He was no great shakes in the office for Lakers either Indeed

If his business and basketball operations ability is as bad as his analysis Clippers would be screwed. Why on earth would a Laker want to improve their rivals?I know soccer player have moved to hated rivals and dented their reputation (well in England) but Magic to clippers is nuts. Magic and co can dress this up as racism all they want, but Magic is seeing dollar signs here and a chance to line his pockets

Comments in bold. I'm not saying he's not outraged, but he's seeing an opportunity for himself here.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    WOW would be amazing if Magic bought them

Have to completely disagree on that.

Only potential court case would involve Sterling suing whoever recorded/leaked the conversation.......NBA is a private entity and well within their rights to ban any individual from their events.

They can ban him from attending games, yes, but not force him to sell.

What people are forgetting here is that Silver works for Sterling, not the other way around. This is as much about PR and commerce/money as it is about doing the right thing for the NBA....well maybe not as much, but it is right up there and anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't get the realities of pro sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Have to completely disagree on that.

Couldn't care less...Magic is a hero, would love to see him back in LA.

Sterling could probably sue TMZ. it illegal for anyone to privately record a conversation between individuals in California

They can ban him from attending games, yes, but not force him to sell.

What people are forgetting here is that Silver works for Sterling, not the other way around. This is as much about PR and commerce/money as it is about doing the right thing for the NBA....well maybe not as much, but it is right up there and anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn't get the realities of pro sports.

Sterling works for the 30 owners as a collective, If the 22 other owners want one other out, That owner can be removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls will vote against Sterling:

BmahL8xCMAAqYeJ.png

Knicks owner James Dolan has released a statement:

"I have been in touch with the NBA and fully support Commissioner Silver's decision. I applaud Adam for acting quickly and decisively in appropriately addressing these disgusting and offensive comments. This kind of behavior has no place in basketball, or anywhere else, and we as a league must stand together in condemning this ignorance."

Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver released a statement

Following NBA commissioner Adam Silver's decision to ban and fine Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

"I applaud the actions taken today by Commissioner Silver in response to the disturbing comments made by Donald Sterling. Commissioner Silver's decision upholds the principles of diversity, tolerance and respect for all people that the NBA and Phoenix Suns represent. The Commissioner has my full support."

Arizona Sports,

New Orleans Pelicans Owner Tom Benson said:

"In light of the serious matter facing our league, a matter than transcends sports, the New Orleans Pelicans fully support the decisions made today by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and will fully support his recommendations moving forward,"

Utah Jazz Owner Gregg Miller:

“On behalf of the Miller family, we support the decisive action by Commissioner Silver and the NBA to reaffirm that there is no place for racism and hatred in our league,’’ Miller said. “The Jazz organization and all the teams in the NBA should act as national leaders in promoting inclusiveness and diversity. We have a responsibility in our communities to fight against discrimination and ignorance and showcase sports as an example of respect and tolerance. While this situation has been inexcusable, I hope it serves the greater purpose of reinforcing our vigilance against this type of behavior.”

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

this must suck for the old man. Owners with whome he made jokes about black people yesterday post statements against him (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

We should all chip in and buy the Clippers.

Yeah? Great.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Clayton Bennett would probably support Sterling. Scumbag that he is.

Wrong :rolleyes:

295cd0b989896b89e6fa1538100ce8f5.png

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

We should all chip in and buy the Clippers.

Yeah? Great.

Way ahead of you, chief. You can coach the team if you wish though?

ADΞ™ @The_Real_Ade 2H
    I, @The_Real_Ade would like to put forward my name and money towards the @LAClippers as the new owner, @NBA. Please consider. Ktnxbai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

wow ballsy move by silver i did not expect the lifetime ban.

he cant be forced to sell but will he want to be owner if he is not allowed go to the games and is by the looks of it going to be ostracized by every other owner and the league its self

Advertisement