Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling banned from Clippers

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Obviously nobody deserves to go through that......but I'd be suspicious of the timing of going public with it.

I think invariably there are two sides to every story. Obviously it looks sinister that they'd only choose to disclose that information now and that it's possibly been a decision of his representatives. However I don't see the cancer being used as an excuse for the comments made and I don't see it being used as bait for sympathy off anyone. If anything it allows the Clippers to show compassion and come out looking like the bigger men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Donald Sterling has agreed to allow wife Shelly to negotiate a forced sale of Clippers. (ESPN & Media reports)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Donald Sterling has agreed to allow wife Shelly to negotiate a forced sale of Clippers. (ESPN & Media reports)

What does it mean "she" is negotiating the sale. Surely The NBA would have to approve of the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

What does it mean "she" is negotiating the sale. Surely The NBA would have to approve of the buyer

negotiating the amount and with the prospective owners before the NBA approves perhaps?

Shelly Sterling is reviewing bids from five groups interested in buying the Los Angeles Clippers, and a deal could be struck before next week's owners meeting provided both she and her estranged husband Donald relinquish total ownership in the team.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday if an agreement to sell is reached before next Tuesday, the league's owners wouldn't meet in New York to vote on terminating Donald Sterling's ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Shelly Sterling is reviewing bids from five groups interested in buying the Los Angeles Clippers, and a deal could be struck before next week's owners meeting provided both she and her estranged husband Donald relinquish total ownership in the team.

A person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday if an agreement to sell is reached before next Tuesday, the league's owners wouldn't meet in New York to vote on terminating Donald Sterling's ownership.

Plenty of smoke and mirrors with the whole ordeal.....one day he's authorizing his wife to negotiate the sale, the next he's telling the league that he will take them to court to retain his team.

Report from @latimes: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy the Clippers for $2 Billion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Still trying to get my head around that figure......2 billion dollars for the Clippers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Freya Aggressive Tackle

developers developers developers developers developers developers developers :D

• Advertisement

Its done.
    Steve-Ballmer-011.jpg

Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer has bought the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers franchise for $2bn, a record for a professional basketball team, sole trustee Shelly Sterling has announced.

In a news release from Greenberg Glusker, Sterling's counsel, she said she had signed a binding contract to sell the team to Ballmer on behalf of the Sterling Family Trust, which owns the club.

The Guardian.

Ballmer is 58 years old, worth around $20 billion according to forbes, From Detroit Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Freya Aggressive Tackle

clippers clippers clippers clippers clippers clippers yes

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sterling has agreed to sell team and drop all lawsuits against the NBA.

This saga is over.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sterling has agreed to sell team and drop all lawsuits against the NBA.

This saga is over.

Don't believe that for a second......there's been too much back and forth, initially he said that he wasn't going to fight and that he had authorized his wife to negotiate the sale.....next day he sends his 32 page letter to the NBA outlining his argument against their actions and his intent to sue.

Don't believe that for a second......there's been too much back and forth, initially he said that he wasn't going to fight and that he had authorized his wife to negotiate the sale.....next day he sends his 32 page letter to the NBA outlining his argument against their actions and his intent to sue.

Hate to say I told you so
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Los Angeles Clippers owner
    Donald Sterling has pulled his support from a deal to sell the team to former
    Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will pursue his $1 billion federal lawsuit
    against the NBA, his attorney said Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/attorney-donald-sterling-says-no-011930818--nba.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

i said from Day 1 this would end up in the courts.

I'm going to paraphrase an old Eddie murphy joke and say that rightly or wrongly (wwrongly morally but I think we're beyond that) most people would do the saem. As Eddie ssaid (broadly) "if you had $10 and you lost $5, you'd be p!ssed". If Sterling accepted that sale, he's be liable for close to a BILLIOn in tax/CGT etc. That's a lot of $5's.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Was everything not signed and done last week?

ec18 wrote: »
    Was everything not signed and done last week?

Last week they agreed a price and conditions of the sale, nothing is final until a sale contract is signed by all interested parties and the new ownership is approved by the league

Advertisement