Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red staining on concrete

• 29-04-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Not sure if this is on the right forum? Does anyone know what the red staining that appears on concrete is? Sometimes it can be seen on houses.
    Any ideas on how to get rid? Its all over kerbs along my driveway

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

You can power hose it off or dilute bleach and spray it on with a knapsack sprayer and use a regular hose a day or two later to take it off or just let the rain do it. Both of these worked for me.
    Is it some type of lichen i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks Lurker.
    I hadn't thought of bleach, would it do Any damage to nearby plants I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭secman

Its a kind of algae, I usually use the MossGo and in the past it has got rid of it.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Sec man, I actually have a 5litre bottle of mosgo in the garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rmurph1

It's a red algae that lives in pourous stone, very common in Ireland due to the fact that it thrives in wet climates espically with salty air.
    You can kill it with a hydrochloric acid mix but that doesn't stop it coming back, NP Liquid Glass Systems has a product that kills it and prevents it for coming back as they apply the Liquid Glass to your stone walls and it binds to the surface killing the algae and stopping it from growing back, they're on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

I usually use MossGo each year in late spring / early summer to get rid of it on walls and roof tiles that are lying in a sheltered position.

I notice that MossGo have a newish product out specifically for that red and green growth. Dont know if its much different than the standard Mossgo.

Advertisement