Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle of the Bridge:Chelsea(0)vs(0)Athletico Madrid 2leg K.o 19:45 RTE2 SS1/HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Didn't get to see the game at all but from reading back over the thread I gather Liverpool won? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Im gona put my neck on the line here and say that I really fancy Madrid to win the final. Cant see them not winning it to be honest!

Think I'll stick a few quid on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Didn't get to see the game at all but from reading back over the thread I gather Liverpool won? :pac:

As much as United did on Sunday at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

They did, I really thought our 2 away goals and clean sheet would be enough, but you just never know in this competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

A victory for football is to be celebrated by all Will!

Now get back in your 7th place corner :pac:

• Advertisement

As much as United did on Sunday at Anfield

United and Liverpool is understandable. Is it just because Jose outwitted Brendan the other day that there's so much bile towards Chelsea tonight?

Augmerson wrote: »
    A victory for football is to be celebrated by all Will!

Now get back in your 7th place corner :pac:

6th is still up for grabs :pac:

6th is still up for grabs :pac:

You dare to dream!?!? ha :)

EDIT: What bile?

United and Liverpool is understandable. Is it just because Jose outwitted Brendan the other day that there's so much bile towards Chelsea tonight?

Not much love loss between Liverpool and Jose from his previous stint as Chelsea manager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm a Liverpool fan but I've had extreme dislike for Jose long before his team beat Rodgers' Liverpool.

- He's a hypocrite
    - He plays 19th century football against any team with more than 3 good players
    - He parks the bus and it's called a masterclass
    - He is disrespectful to his fellow professionals
    - He pokes people in the eye

I could go on.

I'm also an Atleti fan and was shouting my head off in the pub with my Spanish mates so there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Grumpy really living up to his name tonight. :pac:

You dare to dream!?!? ha :)

EDIT: What bile?

Bile was probably the wrong word but there was a certain attitude coming across in a lot of the posts.

Not much love loss between Liverpool and Jose from his previous stint as Chelsea manager

Fair enough, never seen Chelsea getting that much stick from Pool fans as tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any sign of a post match interview of the special one?

Did I miss RTE showing it (more that likely they didn't)

Fair enough, never seen Chelsea getting that much stick from Pool fans as tonight though.

Sure as Liverpool fans where told on Sunday it's only banter, if you can't take it don't dish it out

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any sign of a post match interview of the special one?

Did I miss RTE showing it (more that likely they didn't)

They showed it. He was grand. He said Chelsea were best team up until penalty and wasn't sure if it was a penalty.

Nothing to talk about really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

budgemook wrote: »
    They showed it. He was grand. He said Chelsea were best team up until penalty and wasn't sure if it was a penalty.

Nothing to talk about really.

Was that after the break after the analysis? Flicked over to snooker for 2 mins.

Bile was probably the wrong word but there was a certain attitude coming across in a lot of the posts.

Bile certainly was the wrong word. I watched the match, good match, Atletico were just better. I'm happy they won, especially because watching Chelsea over a number of games this season, not just the one on Sunday, has been frustrating. if Chelsea hadn't parked the bus in the first leg and went for a goal they might be going to the final tonight. Jose's brand of football is not to my liking and I'm glad he won't be a part of the UCL final.

Plenty of other people perhaps share that sentiment. Are they exclusively Liverpool fans? No.

Were Chelsea fans alone in ridiculing Liverpool on Sunday? Not at all, plenty of Utd fans were knee deep in it too.

I've had a fair read of whats been posted tonight and it seems a lot fairer than what was witnessed on Sunday.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was that after the break after the analysis? Flicked over to snooker for 2 mins.

Pretty much after the match I think. Match -> Ad -> Interview -> I went home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Bile certainly was the wrong word. I watched the match, good match, Atletico were just better. I'm happy they won, especially because watching Chelsea over a number of games this season, not just the one on Sunday, has been frustrating. if Chelsea hadn't parked the bus in the first leg and went for a goal they might be going to the final tonight. Jose's brand of football is not to my liking and I'm glad he won't be a part of the UCL final.

Plenty of other people perhaps share that sentiment. Are they exclusively Liverpool fans? No.

Were Chelsea fans alone in ridiculing Liverpool on Sunday? Not at all, plenty of Utd fans were knee deep in it too.

I've had a fair read of whats been posted tonight and it seems a lot fairer than what was witnessed on Sunday.

Its actually United fans responding to the banter about Chelsea tonight haha not Chelsea fans at all :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One more loss for Phoenix match threads.

I'm glad we dont believe in voodoo or sh*te but ya must have loved this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057195783

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The final is 50-50 for me. There's no way Atleti will allow Real to counter attack like Bayern did. They are one of the best teams at squeezing the life out of their opponents infact.

It'll be tight, tense and it'll need a very strong referee otherwise the playacting and nonsense could go out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Howard Webb better not get it. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

4 successive failed CL semifinals, 2 trophies out of 14, 1 win out of the last 4 games, spending three quarters of the CL semifinal trying to not play and being blown away when you try to....it's great stuff this results business:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No ya see its ok for Liverpool fans to use in it any context on here, but if any other poster uses the word in any context they get jumped on :rolleyes:

I've seen some hilarious posts that totally miss irony and sarcasm, this is tops for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I have to say, as someone new to the sport (returning after 15 years) it's frustrating to listen to fans talk about each other and other clubs.
    I'd understand, and encourage, banter between them but the manner in which it's done across threads here is embarrassing to every team and their fans. I have a lot to learn about the current game but hope I don't start sounding like some people.

Regarding the game today, AM deserved to go through. But I had high hopes for Chelsea and would have liked to see them in the final. I thought the home game advantage would shine through.
    I'd like to see Real win now and I'm looking forward to the final. As a neutral I'm hoping it will be a good game and not just a repeat of how they play against each other in their home league.
    More to play for so hopefully that will push them both.

I have to say, as someone new to the sport (returning after 15 years) it's frustrating to listen to fans talk about each other and other clubs.
    I'd understand, and encourage, banter between them but the manner in which it's done across threads here is embarrassing to every team and their fans. I have a lot to learn about the current game but hope I don't start sounding like some people.

Regarding the game today, AM deserved to go through. But I had high hopes for Chelsea and would have liked to see them in the final. I thought the home game advantage would shine through.
    I'd like to see Real win now and I'm looking forward to the final. As a neutral I'm hoping it will be a good game and not just a repeat of how they play against each other in their home league.

Give it time. You'll become as bitter and twisted as the rest of us eventually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

greendom wrote: »
    Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I think Abramovic is more responsible for the eclipse than Mourinho
    A lot of people can claim a role in the rise of Chelsea even before Abramovich: Gullit, Vialli, Wise, Zola, Terry and last but not least Tinkerman (who brought in Cech and Lampard). At that point Chelsea were regularly finishing in top three or four and winning the odd knockout competition. Abramovich took over a very healthy club, with very healthy prospects.

Abramovich's appointment of Mourinho obviously took CFC up to a new level. I'd personally be giving Mourinho the credit for doing the work to move the team up a notch. The timing was important. Mourinho bagged his successes just as Ferguson was looking at the exit door and as Wenger was expecting to manoeuvre Arsenal to the top of the pile. Mourinho came out of the blue and put paid to that. Chelsea have since gone on to establish themselves as the number one premiership club in London.

In all the time I've seen Liam Brady commentating on Chelsea, he's been bitter and uncomplimentary. It's a joke coming from a long-time employee of a club which invented the pre-Wenger '1:0 to the Arsenal' blood and guts playing culture. Brady has become a parody of himself, which is a shame, because his football experience is broad and fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

McDave wrote: »
    A lot of people can claim a role in the rise of Chelsea even before Abramovich: Gullit, Vialli, Wise, Zola, Terry and last but not least Tinkerman (who brought in Cech and Lampard). At that point Chelsea were regularly finishing in top three or four and winning the odd knockout competition. Abramovich took over a very healthy club, with very healthy prospects.

Abramovich's appointment of Mourinho obviously took CFC up to a new level. I'd personally be giving Mourinho the credit for doing the work to move the team up a notch. The timing was important. Mourinho bagged his successes just as Ferguson was looking at the exit door and as Wenger was expecting to manoeuvre Arsenal to the top of the pile. Mourinho came out of the blue and put paid to that. Chelsea have since gone on to establish themselves as the number one premiership club in London.

In all the time I've seen Liam Brady commentating on Chelsea, he's been bitter and uncomplimentary. It's a joke coming from a long-time employee of a club which invented the pre-Wenger '1:0 to the Arsenal' blood and guts playing culture. Brady has become a parody of himself, which is a shame, because his football experience is broad and fascinating.
    The period leading up to RA brought Chelsea closer to Arsenal but the move to the next level would have been impossible without his money.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

dfx- wrote: »
    4 successive failed CL semifinals, 2 trophies out of 14, 1 win out of the last 4 games, spending three quarters of the CL semifinal trying to not play and being blown away when you try to....it's great stuff this results business:)

Its hard to deny those stats and also spending £275million over the past 4yrs which bore only 2 trophies.
    Thats a very expensive ceiling if that is what we are seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Its hard to deny those stats and also spending £275million over the past 4yrs which bore only 2 trophies.
    Thats a very expense ceiling if that is what we are seeing.
    Are we talking Chelsea here? They have won the ECL, EL and FA Cup in the last four years.

Mourinho? He has won La Liga and both Spanish cups in that time.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are we talking Chelsea here?
    Mourinho.

Mourinho? He has won La Liga and both Spanish cups in that time.

he has also added £100million of talent to an already EL and CL winning team. yet they sit 3rd and are knocked out of this years CL.

Dont forget its now two consecutive trophyless seasons with the Richest squads worth €520m (Madrid) &€392m (Chelsea)

McDave wrote: »

Chelsea finished 3rd once before Abramovich took over

from the start of the PL

11th, 14th, 11th, 11th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 4th

Mourinho.

he has also added £100million of talent to an already EL and CL winning team. yet they sit 3rd and are knocked out of this years CL.

Dont forget its now two consecutive trophyless seasons with the Richest squads worth €520m (Madrid) &€392m (Chelsea)
    One trophyless season with both, is that a horrendous thing in your eyes?

One trophyless season with both, is that a horrendous thing in your eyes?

horrendous in the fact;with the talent at his disposal they should have done better, and would have done better if he didn't play his 'saving skin' style of football.

even Hazard seems to be sounding out his frustration last night at the way/style they are playing.

Do you not think that with the squads at his disposal he should have won more?

....In fact I would say Rafa last season has eclipsed him at this stage when you consider the pressure he was put under.

also the fact that Mourinho has added £100mil of players on top of what Rafa had.

• Advertisement

horrendous in the fact;with the talent at his disposal they should have done better, and would have done better if he didn't play his 'saving skin' style of football.

even Hazard seems to be sounding out his frustration last night at the way/style they are playing.

Do you not think that with the squads at his disposal he should have won more?

....In fact I would say Rafa last season has eclipsed him at this stage when you consider the pressure he was put under.

also the fact that Mourinho has added £100mil of players on top of what Rafa had.
    I think that this year he has come up against an overperforming Liverpool squad and an even bigger spending Manchester City. While its highly unlikely they will win the league they are still in contention and they were knocked out of the Champion's league by a team who are currently outdoing Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga.
    Last year he lost out to Barcelona in La Liga who put up an incredible performance to run away with the league. He lost out in the semi-finals of the ECL to the eventual winners, Bayern, who were acclaimed as the new world football power at the end of the season.

He said all through this season that this was a building year at Chelsea and kept saying that next year is the year. He has kept his team in contention right up to the end of the season in the two biggest competitions. I don't get how that can be considered bad. Last year at Madrid was a bad year for him but not a horrendous one as I've show above.

I think that this year he has come up against an overperforming Liverpool

exactly how does one 'overperform'?..I never got that one.

While its highly unlikely they will win the league they are still in contention

they should be out of sight now
    and they were knocked out of the Champion's league by a team who are currently outdoing Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga.
    If they played the pressing type football like in they did from the hour mark last night, rather than the two banks of four before that I would say they would be inb the CL final now.
    He lost out in the semi-finals of the ECL to the eventual winners, Bayern, who were acclaimed as the new world football power at the end of the season.
    Nope! ...he was knocked out by Dortmund.
    He said all through this season that this was a building year at Chelsea and kept saying that next year is the year. He has kept his team in contention right up to the end of the season in the two biggest competitions. I don't get how that can be considered bad. Last year at Madrid was a bad year for him but not a horrendous one as I've show above.

I dont buy into his 'rebuild' crap...that imo is another excuse to save his skin.
    He inherited a team that had just won the EL and CL in the past 18months and who's core was still intact, and added another £100mil of top talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Fans put too much importance in squad values and transfer funds. That view is already skewed by not adding in contract values and even if you do have a true picture of what players and squads are worth, it's all relative to what the club has to spend. Football is like a negative economy of scale, the bigger the clubs get the harder it is to get a bargain, they actually pay a premium because of how much money they have.

In any case I really dislike random squad value thrown into arguments to make a point. Dollar-figure aside, what matters is if the manager is being backed in the market or not by the board, and the decisions to buy one player or another. And a manager has no control over the current value of a player. What is Torres worth? Cost £50m, a chunk more on wages, but what is his contract worth now + resale value? Is that the value when you add up Chelsea's squad? Does Mourinho have any influence on that given he didn't sign him?

I'm rambling as I don't have a coherent point to make other than I'd like to see more detail if people actually want to use dollar-figures in an argument. It's just too flakey for me to matter.

exactly how does one 'overperform'?..I never got that one.

they should be out of sight now

If they played the pressing type football like in they did from the hour mark last night, rather than the two banks of four before that I would say they would be inb the CL final now.

Nope! ...he was knocked out by Dortmund.

I dont buy into his 'rebuild' crap...that imo is another excuse to save his skin.
    He inherited a team that had just won the EL and CL in the past 18months and who's core was still intact, and added another £100mil of top talent.
    I'm not getting into this splitting up posts and replying to separate lines. Its a tactic used to get away from the point of the post.
    I notice you omitted the 'bigger spending Manchester City' from your 'quotes'.
    If you want to continue I'm more than willing but not to that form of reply.

I'm not getting into this splitting up posts and replying to separate lines. Its a tactic used to get away from the point of the post.
    I notice you omitted the 'bigger spending Manchester City' from your 'quotes'.
    If you want to continue I'm more than willing but not to that form of reply.

I have no idea what you are on about, and I can assure you I am not manipulating your post, or replies by multi quoting.
    I find it easier to to reply to each of your points individually rather than a big speel (which I am guilty of doing in the past :) )

back to the main point of the post(s) which I have not moved away from one bit....

Mourinho (with the resources at his disposal and monies spent) has really underperformed over the past 4yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's your problem right there, welcome to the internet age of football supporters. Its the equivalent of been back at school, its good fun actually.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

dfx- wrote: »

I thought this post was going to finish with...............if Carlsberg did masterclasses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Im gona put my neck on the line here and say that I really fancy Madrid to win the final. Cant see them not winning it to be honest!

I see what you're trying to do here but it doesn't really work!

Imagine Man United were playing West Ham United in the FA Cup final, and you said:

"I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and say United will win this one!"

Atleti fans would wince at their club being referred to as "Madrid"

I have no idea what you are on about, and I can assure you I am not manipulating your post, or replies by multi quoting.
    I find it easier to to reply to each of your points individually rather than a big speel (which I am guilty of doing in the past :) )

back to the main point of the post(s) which I have not moved away from one bit....

Mourinho (with the resources at his disposal and monies spent) has really underperformed over the past 4yrs.
    Well I disagree. When you break the record for the most points ever attained in La Liga and win all the domestic titles over a period of three years then you've done quite well.

At Chelsea he has been saying all season that next year is the year. I think any manager deserves time to sort out a squad as long as they don't fall off the face of the earth while he is doing it. Chelsea have successfully qualified for the Champion's League next year and could still win the league albeits not in their own hands. I don't know how you could see this as failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

RayCon wrote: »
    Chelsea to advance after a hard game to watch for the neutral.

Woo hoo ... how wrong was I on both counts !! Good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Morzadec wrote: »
    I see what you're trying to do here but it doesn't really work!

Imagine Man United were playing West Ham United in the FA Cup final, and you said:

"I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and say United will win this one!"

Atleti fans would wince at their club being referred to as "Madrid"

Swoosshhhhh...

lochte-possessed.gif?w=650

Swoosshhhhh...

lochte-possessed.gif?w=650

Was the joke not that he thinks Madrid will win (ha ha both teams are from Madrid) or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If you're in Spain and talking football and say Madrid, everyone will assume you're talking Real Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

8-10 wrote: »
    Fans put too much importance in squad values and transfer funds. That view is already skewed by not adding in contract values and even if you do have a true picture of what players and squads are worth, it's all relative to what the club has to spend. Football is like a negative economy of scale, the bigger the clubs get the harder it is to get a bargain, they actually pay a premium because of how much money they have.

In any case I really dislike random squad value thrown into arguments to make a point. Dollar-figure aside, what matters is if the manager is being backed in the market or not by the board, and the decisions to buy one player or another. And a manager has no control over the current value of a player. What is Torres worth? Cost £50m, a chunk more on wages, but what is his contract worth now + resale value? Is that the value when you add up Chelsea's squad? Does Mourinho have any influence on that given he didn't sign him?

I'm rambling as I don't have a coherent point to make other than I'd like to see more detail if people actually want to use dollar-figures in an argument. It's just too flakey for me to matter.

Amen. Focusing on transfer values ignores depreciation, as you point out with Torres, and it also doesn't allow for players that have been developed.

For example, what value does one put on John Terry? He was a youth team player so didn't cost anything. At his peak, Chelsea might have paid £20m+ for him. Now, nobody would spend more than £5m to acquire him. Same goes for Gerrard and (without the final diminished value) Messi.

Far better, if you're trying to count up the value for money that a team is getting, to focus on the wage bill.

greendom wrote: »
    If you're in Spain and talking football and say Madrid, everyone will assume you're talking Real Madrid

Yeah that's the point I'm trying to make, calling Atelti "Madrid" is like calling Leeds "United"

• Advertisement
Advertisement