Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online banking in Ireland

Options
  • 29-04-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I am about to move to Ireland. In my country (Italy) I have a wonderful bank account: basically i) it's free (no fees) ii) I can do everything online (bank transfers, pay bills, all sort of things), iii) If I need to speak with a consultant the bank send someone at my house, we can arrange the hour (for example in the evening, after work)

There are alternatives in Ireland? Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi,
    I am about to move to Ireland. In my country (Italy) I have a wonderful bank account: basically

i) it's free (no fees) Mostly free banking with PTSB as long as €1500 per month goes into you account
    ii) I can do everything online (bank transfers, pay bills, all sort of things), Can do those things alright, code sent to phone to allow you to do it.
    iii) If I need to speak with a consultant the bank send someone at my house, we can arrange the hour (for example in the evening, after work) Ha, Ha no, you may visit a queue for a machine in a branch that you can find that hasn't been closed. Other than that, call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 moonbiter

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Traditional banks in Italy are awful (I suspect, far worse than Irish banks) but recently we got some online banks that are great. I suspect I will miss mine :D
    I read that normally in Ireland I have to confirm by phone operations performed online. Is it true for all banks?
    Does anyone use hardware keys, or authorization codes sent as text messages or any alternative to the phone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes. PTSB by SMS, AIB by digital device etc.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Yes. PTSB by SMS, AIB by digital device etc.

Good to know!
    Would you suggest PTSB or AIB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

moonbiter wrote: »
    Good to know!

Tsb if you want free banking(provided 1500 goes through your current acc each month-this can include transferring money in and out of your savings to get to the 1500 figure if you wish). I've been with bank of ireland, Aib and tsb all recently and would recommend tsb, unless you like paying approx 50-60 euro per banking quarter in transaction fees. If you do then choose Aib

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Why not just keep using your online Italian bank? That's the whole point behind SEPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Good to know!

Neither, (as I don't bank with them) - though I'm sure PTSB will require some phone contact (at least to set up some transactions) if I recall correctly?

AIB is the only one with a 24/7 call centre that I know of. Why is telephone contact a blocker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

the only time I need phone /sms verifications with ptsb is when I'm adding new transactions (ie. new bill provider etc) I cant remember the last time I had to do it!

murphaph wrote: »
    Why not just keep using your online Italian bank? That's the whole point behind SEPA.

Well, when I was in Germany all the services required a German bank account... I was also required by my employer to have a German account, I suppose it would be the same in Ireland.
    Moreover if I have any problem with my cards it would take some time to have them back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well, when I was in Germany all the services required a German bank account... I was also required by my employer to have a German account, I suppose it would be the same in Ireland.
    Moreover if I have any problem with my cards it would take some time to have them back.

I worked with a ton of Italians and most kept their Italian bank accounts. Its quite difficult to open an Irish bank account quickly in Ireland.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Why is telephone contact a blocker?

Being not a native speaker is a bit awkward to speak in English over the phone, I prefer to do everything online without any human interactions involved: it is simpler, faster and more relaxing for me.

jameshayes wrote: »
    the only time I need phone /sms verifications with ptsb is when I'm adding new transactions (ie. new bill provider etc) I cant remember the last time I had to do it!

It seems reasonable then, probably it is also safer

That was (presumably) before SEPA. Things are (or should have) changed in this regard. You should be able to provide your employer in Ireland with the IBAN+BIC and be able to receive your pay as normal.
    This is the only real issue you might have. The Italian bank may not allow a change of address to Ireland but if they do (Irish banks allow changes of address to outside the state-I receive correspondence from AIB and BoI in Germany and receive SMS codes for BoI online banking to my German mobile) then it's no problem. If I send a letter from Germany to Ireland and one to say, Italy, the letter to Ireland will get there first because it'll always go by airmail, whereas the letter to Italy will go overland. It only takes an extra day or two for me to receive letters from Ireland and vice versa.

It's worth a shot. I know my German bank will also allow a change of address to another EU state and even further afield to the US, for example. They will send cards etc. there. Perhaps your user friendly Italian bank will also oblige.

That was (presumably) before SEPA. Things are (or should have) changed in this regard. You should be able to provide your employer in Ireland with the IBAN+BIC and be able to receive your pay as normal.

This is the only real issue you might have. The Italian bank may not allow a change of address to Ireland but if they do (Irish banks allow changes of address to outside the state-I receive correspondence from AIB and BoI in Germany and receive SMS codes for BoI online banking to my German mobile) then it's no problem. If I send a letter from Germany to Ireland and one to say, Italy, the letter to Ireland will get there first because it'll always go by airmail, whereas the letter to Italy will go overland. It only takes an extra day or two for me to receive letters from Ireland and vice versa.

It's worth a shot. I know my German bank will also allow a change of address to another EU state and even further afield to the US, for example. They will send cards etc. there. Perhaps your user friendly Italian bank will also oblige.

That is something I should consider, I will call my bank and ask and later ask my company in Ireland.
    Thank you for all the advices, this forum is great!

You're welcome. Best of luck with the move over!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Exactly :D

Advertisement