Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose chain, too loose?

• 29-04-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Im riding a GSXR 750 k7 and the chain is quite slack, the bottom part of the chain can touch the underside of the swingarm when I tested it for slack, and i can hear a "ticking" sound when im riding. I know its not ideal but I cant get it to a garage for about 3 weeks (they're booked up)... Is it ok to ride still or should i just forget about it until i get it sorted at the garage and take the bus for now? I fckn hate the bus tho!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

something to be remedied alright - but shouldnt need a garage to do it for ya..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Im riding a GSXR 750 k7 and the chain is quite slack, the bottom part of the chain can touch the underside of the swingarm when I tested it for slack, and i can hear a "ticking" sound when im riding. I know its not ideal but I cant get it to a garage for about 3 weeks (they're booked up)... Is it ok to ride still or should i just forget about it until i get it sorted at the garage and take the bus for now? I fckn hate the bus tho!

Get the chain looked at by someone who knows something about bikes.
    The chain may have a tight spot, or the chain may be just slack too much.
    Where are you located ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chain too loose, hopped off rear sprocket, then got jammed between wheel and swingarm, locking it :

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's really easy to tighten a chain yourself OP. I'd explain the process but the internet probably does a better job than I would.

If you are based anywhere around Cork City I'd give ya a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I don't want to be the preachy one on the thread but honestly, you need to get to grips with chain maintenance. Not lubing, checking and adjusting your chain every time you ride (or very close to it) just leads to (probably far greater) expense, danger and hassle for you. You just need some basic hand tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

I understand that the process is a simple one, loosen the axel nut and just evenly adjust the chain tightening nuts either side of the swingarm, problem is i've moved to germany and left my tools back home, Ive also in the last 2 months rode over 2000 kms so i need a few other bits done too, thats why i was gonna just wait, to be on the safer side. But theres a bit of slack beyond spec, 20 - 30 mm, and there is what i have, about 50mm of free play where it can just rub off the swingarm underside, my gut is just telling me to stay off it until i get it tightened but im just not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Where are you located, lets get the chain sorted. Then take the piss outta of ya. ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where are you located, lets get the chain sorted. Then take the piss outta of ya. ;);)

He's in Germany... Nice Sunday spin out to him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I understand that the process is a simple one, loosen the axel nut and just evenly adjust the chain tightening nuts either side of the swingarm, problem is i've moved to germany and left my tools back home, Ive also in the last 2 months rode over 2000 kms so i need a few other bits done too, thats why i was gonna just wait, to be on the safer side. But theres a bit of slack beyond spec, 20 - 30 mm, and there is what i have, about 50mm of free play where it can just rub off the swingarm underside, my gut is just telling me to stay off it until i get it tightened but im just not sure

You've way to much slack in the chain and it can't be left a few weeks, hopefully the other few bits aren't as critical as this so can wait.

You understand what to do so get yourself to a local hardware store or motor factors and buy the 2 or 3 tools needed to save your self thousands of Euro in damage to the bike along with the potential injuries to you if it breaks and seizes up at the wrong place.

You hit the nail on the head, thats what i was thinking but i just needed to hear it from someone else! On the tool side would a torque wrench be really necessary or just max hand tighten?

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head, thats what i was thinking but i just needed to hear it from someone else! On the tool side would a torque wrench be really necessary or just max hand tighten?

A torque wrench would be helpful. You need to go more than hand tight, a good squeeze with a power bar is needed if you don't use a torque wrench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

A middle of the road half inch ratchet set will cost you less than a ton, even less if you buy a really cheap one! If you really wanted to not spend a lot you could just buy 3 spanners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

You measuring the slack when your full weight is on it? Maybe there is not as much as you think? Although the slap does sound like its too loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At the risk of sounding like I'm riding a high horse, but I'm amazed and a little disturbed by the amount of people both here and who I meet IRL who have very, very limited knowledge of their (often very powerful) motorcycle and how to maintain it to even the most basic requirements ~ ie to stay safe on the roads and save themselves from serious injury or death.

OP look after that job ASAP please.. That clicking sound may be just a dry chain over the sprocket teeth (not a good thing) or a chain slipping over sprocket teeth (a very dangerous thing).

Ride safe man.

I hear ya Mak, I take good care of the bike and lube the chain quite regularly, at least once a month but last weekend i went on a 1400 km trip from west to east germany and back again, at speeds of 200+ km / h for long stretches, which im pretty sure made the chain go from "a bit of slack" to waay too much and its because of my attention to the details and regular checking that i started to notice a change , i reference the manual for pretty much everything and thats how i realised the chain was far from the recommended specs (just by lifting it was pretty obvious anyway). The problem i have is feeling that, since i have little experience with tinkering on bikes, ill mess things up and that im better off leaving it to the pros... this is the case for most issues (carbs on my old bike - gsx 400 impulse) but if i have the tools ill usually give it a go first at least to take a look (sorted a faulty rectifier/regulator on this bike already), this time tho the tools and stand are back home in ireland.
    I need to change the oil, oil-filter, fuel-filter, coolant, bleed brakes and get a new chain and sprockets, so to save me the hassle (no tools, no place to work on it) ill just leave it to the pros. So not totally ignorant, just a bit lazy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey Dwelby, you know in Germany tools are pretty cheap?
    Have a look at the Louis.de website, you can pick up a basic set of maintenence tools for very little.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hey Dwelby, you know in Germany tools are pretty cheap?
    Have a look at the Louis.de website, you can pick up a basic set of maintenence tools for very little.
    yeah theres a louis store round the corner from where im currently staying, thing is im only here for a few more months and dont need to be doubling up on tools and having to ship even more stuff home.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I think it's mental that someone with a GSXR-750 doesn't know how to tighten a chain.

Have you been getting the garage to tighten your chain since you started riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I think it's mental that someone with a GSXR-750 doesn't know how to tighten a chain.

Have you been getting the garage to tighten your chain since you started riding?

i know a few lads like that, people are all different, some are mechanically minded, some aren't. one lad i know could work out the square root of a tin of beans but couldn't open them!:p

find another bike shop or at least ask around your new workmates for someone with tools you can use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

serious3 wrote: »
    i know a few lads like that, people are all different, some are mechanically minded, some aren't. one lad i know could work out the square root of a tin of beans but couldn't open them!

But come one, we're talking about the VERY basics here. I'm not taking a shot at the OP but it is a little crazy to think a Gixxer rider doesn't know these basics.

OP I'm really not taking a shot at you, promise.

Maybe a thread here on basic jobs, ie chains & sprockets, bulbs, tire pressures, oil/plugs/filter changes etc might be a good idea... An idea of what should be in a basic tool kit would be good too?.

serious3 wrote: »
    i know a few lads like that, people are all different, some are mechanically minded, some aren't. one lad i know could work out the square root of a tin of beans but couldn't open them!:p

The OP shouldn't even be on a bicycle if he can't tighten a chain FFS.

The OP shouldn't even be on a bicycle if he can't tighten a chain FFS.

Hey pug are you trolling for the sake of it or what, as i stated already, i know how to tighten the chain, think your just being a bit of a knob. Ive been riding the gsxr since christmas and it hasnt needed any chain tightening until now and now that i dont have the tools i need and need to get a good bit more stuff done im just gonna throw it to the garage.

Thanks for your completely useless input anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the bike didn't come with a tool kit, why not? Bad sign of the care the previous owner took of it. Same if the handbook is missing.

You may know how to tighten a chain, but that's no good if you don't realise the importance of doing it. Same thing with setting off on a long trip with no tools to tighten the chain.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Ive been riding the gsxr since christmas and it hasnt needed any chain tightening until now and now that i dont have the tools i need and need to get a good bit more stuff done im just gonna throw it to the garage.

All you need is a spanner or two, hardly a lot of tools that's going to make it difficult for you to bring it home on the bike, stick them under the seat, more than likely you will need them again soon if you are doing the mileage you say you are doing.

Are you sure you don't already have what you need in the tool bag that came with the bike, assuming that you did get a tool bag under the seat? Any bike I have owned came with a tool bag under the seat with everything you need to do basic maintenance such as chain adjustment.

It might seem like a hassle to you know, but when you are out in the middle of nowhere and your chain is loose again you will be thankful for it. Just get the tools you need and start learning :)

When I got the bike i didnt get a toolkit with it, i guess youre right tho, i should grab a few spanners for the chain when on the move.

When I got the bike i didnt get a toolkit with it, i guess youre right tho, i should grab a few spanners for the chain when on the move.

While you're in Germany I'd pick up a cheap tool kit, there are plenty to choose from that will fit under the seat, as even when you get the chain done other issues could come up which will be a simple road side fix or a long wait for recovery.

Hey pug are you trolling for the sake of it or what, as i stated already, i know how to tighten the chain, think your just being a bit of a knob. Ive been riding the gsxr since christmas and it hasnt needed any chain tightening until now and now that i dont have the tools i need and need to get a good bit more stuff done im just gonna throw it to the garage.

Thanks for your completely useless input anyway:rolleyes:

Maybe you should get a bike with a shaft drive if you're too lazy to do basic maintenance. Poor gixxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Maybe you should get a bike with a shaft drive if you're too lazy to do basic maintenance. Poor gixxer.

Read the thread

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    Read the thread
    Read my post.

Lack of tools is no excuse for going 2000 km without any chain adjustment. You can get them for less than €30 in any decent hardware shop.

Advertisement