Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loose chain, too loose?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Thing is pug, it didnt actually need any adjustment during the trip, I done a check on everything each time i fueled up and everything seemed fine, i just started to nitice it sagging early this week and wanted to know if it might be ok to do short spins to and from work (5 km). <personal abuse deleted - warned>, youre right, a trip to louis is needed, for any more trips its a good idea to have a toolkit that can tighten the chain if needs be. You live and learn i guess, cant figure out everything at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Read my post.

Lack of tools is no excuse for going 2000 km without any chain adjustment. You can get them for less than €30 in any decent hardware shop.

I've always go over 2000km with no chain adjustment. Maybe I'm just buying good stuff :pac:
    And yes I know how to check and adjust it and know exactly what it should be like before the inevitable comment.
    But if there's something up it is foolish to just leave it and keep going - it's a pretty important thing and not something that should be left for the odd time when getting somebody else to service it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

batman_oh wrote: »
    I've always go over 2000km with no chain adjustment. Maybe I'm just buying good stuff :pac:

...and you probably keep your chain clean and lubed, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes!

I rarely have to adjust mine as well, I do a lot of miles but keep the chain clean and lubed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    ...and you probably keep your chain clean and lubed, you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes!

I rarely have to adjust mine as well, I do a lot of miles but keep the chain clean and lubed.

Same as others, I had my old FZ6 and had to adjust it once before I sold it and I covered over 25,000klms on it. I did stick a scottoiler on with a DUAL INJECTOR oiling both sides of the sprocket instead of one and it paid off.

On my current bike I have a single scottoiler and never adjusted the chain since I got it last summer. But I look after the chain alot too.

Just a quick update, got myself a torque wrench and 36mm sprocket today and done the deed... the chain is ready to be replaced anyway, it has some slack in parts and less in others, but it's all tightened up. I noticed while the axle nut was loose and while rotating the rear wheel that the break caliper is also loose, its a floating caliper and when the wheel rotates backwards the caliper rotates back about 1 - 1.5 inches and then rotates the same distance when the wheel is rolling forward... after some research i have found that this is normal for the bike, interesting none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,390 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the chain has tight spots these can sometimes be freed up with a couple of pliers and some oil, but really the chain will need replacing soon.

Make sure you have enough slack with the chain at its tightest spot. (if you then have too much at the loosest point, you need to replace the chain, but a little too loose is better than a little too tight.)

If the chain ever gets fully taut (like over a bump with too little slack) then it can snap, and it doesn't do the rear sprocket carrier and engine sprocket bearings any good at all either. Too loose and it risks hopping off and maybe seizing the back wheel, but it usually has to be really bad before it'll hop off.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dwelby warned for personal abuse - but my main advice is just go to a bloody bike shop and get it sorted!!

Lads, this comes up quite a bit - a novice rider has a problem – requests help, and there are always a few gasping with horror that they do not know how to fix the problem themselves. So what!!! Not everyone is born a natural mechanic. I only have pretty basic skills - I did do a motorbike maintenance course – but despite this I often chose to get it done by an expert just in case I make a mistake and make it worse.

It still gets under my skin a little, just cause you ride a bike you are expected to know x, y and z and how it works. Not everyone is that way inclined. Do Ferrari and Porsche drives do their own engine work? Unlikely... For example – computers are my thing. I can build computers from scratch – fixing problems and reinstalling an OS is an absolute walk in the park for me – and I can build websites from scratch or using platforms. This is stuff that most people would not have the slightest clue about, but I don’t slag them off cause they are using a computer or a website without knowing how it works. I’m generally happy to lend them a hand since I have some expertise they don’t.

Now, rant over – everyone play nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zascar wrote: »
    Dwelby warned for personal abuse - but my main advice is just go to a bloody bike shop and get it sorted!!

Lads, this comes up quite a bit - a novice rider has a problem – requests help, and there are always a few gasping with horror that they do not know how to fix the problem themselves. So what!!! Not everyone is born a natural mechanic. I only have pretty basic skills - I did do a motorbike maintenance course – but despite this I often chose to get it done by an expert just in case I make a mistake and make it worse.

It still gets under my skin a little, just cause you ride a bike you are expected to know x, y and z and how it works. Not everyone is that way inclined. Do Ferrari and Porsche drives do their own engine work? Unlikely... For example – computers are my thing. I can build computers from scratch – fixing problems and reinstalling an OS is an absolute walk in the park for me – and I can build websites from scratch or using platforms. This is stuff that most people would not have the slightest clue about, but I don’t slag them off cause they are using a computer or a website without knowing how it works. I’m generally happy to lend them a hand since I have some expertise they don’t.

Now, rant over – everyone play nice :)

The OP knew what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It still gets under my skin a little, just cause you ride a bike you are expected to know x, y and z and how it works.

I don't want to be argumentative and it is better that people feel free to come to this forum or other and ask basic questions without getting a feed of abuse but the fact remains, motorcycles are much much more involved than other vehicles. The safety issues that arise from neglecting a motorcycle are infinitely more serious than a neglected car, say. I do think it's irresponsible to allow new motorcyclists (or any motorcyclist) to believe that you can ride for weeks or months without doing things such as checking tyres, chains, brakes, suspension etc etc.

Just to prove I'm not being holier-than-thou I'll tell you that just this week gone, I received a delivery of shock linkage bearings and seals since mine were completely fckued... this was the first time I'd ever checked the linkage of any bike I've owned... and the very same day someone was posting on RSVR.net about their rear suspension collapsing under himself and his missus due to a fractured dogbone due to seized bearings. I will admit to feeling like lubing the linkage up to that point was optional which is wrong, IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

But come one, we're talking about the VERY basics here. I'm not taking a shot at the OP but it is a little crazy to think a Gixxer rider doesn't know these basics.

OP I'm really not taking a shot at you, promise.

Maybe a thread here on basic jobs, ie chains & sprockets, bulbs, tire pressures, oil/plugs/filter changes etc might be a good idea... An idea of what should be in a basic tool kit would be good too?.

All things on this thread aside, I think that'd be a great idea for a thread.

Good idea, any volunteers?

Good idea, any volunteers?
    well i can give a tutorial on how to tighten a chain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

think Ive a whole load of pdf's from one of the bike mags' website - they used to do a weekly maintenance article, with a lot of common things covered. Will try and dig up where I kept them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Bawnmore wrote: »
    All things on this thread aside, I think that'd be a great idea for a thread.

Yeah maybe, but a quick google/you tube would be just as fast as logging in here and searching for what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

That's a fair point, but I was thinking more so along the lines of guidance of what you should be checking. Anything can definitely be found with a quick Google, but I'd be very interested in a thread with a list of regular/semi regular maintenance tasks and checks which need to be performed to make sure everything is where it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bawnmore wrote: »
    That's a fair point, but I was thinking more so along the lines of guidance of what you should be checking. Anything can definitely be found with a quick Google, but I'd be very interested in a thread with a list of regular/semi regular maintenance tasks and checks which need to be performed to make sure everything is where it should be.

Your bikes owners manual will have daily tasks listed somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah maybe, but a quick google/you tube would be just as fast as logging in here and searching for what you need.

Describes 90% of threads in this and most other discussion forum.

Advertisement