Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT check will uncover 'clocked' cars in new plan

Comments

it would become a crime to have your car clocked.

So I'll sell you my car, job seeker, and I'll clock it before doing so. Then I'll have a good laugh when you go to NCT it and 20 minutes later a Garda car comes rolling up to the test centre and you're lead away in cuffs or heavily fined. Hmm.. doesn't quite make sense.

:P

Ah, more realistically though;
    The aim is to have the system rolled out within around two years, and motorists would be able to check mileage history.

So presumably it'll only count for cars from 2016 onwards, though i believe new cars are NCT exempt for 4 years? So you can clock it heavily before it's first NCT, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fullaljackeen

NCT Certs already indicate mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Should be able to just enter reg number and all previous NCT made available except owner details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

job seeker wrote: »

Source > http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nct-check-will-uncover-clocked-cars-in-new-plan-29166099.html

The sooner the better this come in to play, I say. :)

Whats your option(s), will this work? why/why not?

We've had this discussion before at great length but I don't agree with being illegal to lock cars. To begin with, its your car. After that there are lots of reasons why a cars mileage could be different. What if my clocks fail. I buy a second hand set and it has 40k less or 40k above whats really on the car. I've just illegally clocked the car.

I had a Landcruiser with a dicky speedo drive. It worked intermittently then stopped. Every time I drove it I was clocking the car more and more.

Keep mileage records from the NCT and make the info available. Don't allow people to tax non NCT'd cars aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Please tell me that cross checking mileages at each NCT isn't the best idea in the entire Dept. of Transport?

A 4 year old would have reasoned that that particular measure should have been standard the day the NCT was introduced. What would it cost to log the mileage of each car per test? Nothing, or next to it. Next time car comes in, log mileage again, if there is a problem then BING - car cannot be passed until a proper reason for the mileage error is found. It's not rocket science FFS.

It's a token gesture IMO - the bucko's in the DOT don't seem to realise that clocking is big business for certain elements of society, and that there is quite a determination out there for people to find new ways to clock cars. Introducing something that should have been done years ago is a p1ss take IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

We've had this discussion before at great length but I don't agree with being illegal to lock cars. To begin with, its your car. After that there are lots of reasons why a cars mileage could be different. What if my clocks fail. I buy a second hand set and it has 40k less or 40k above whats really on the car. I've just illegally clocked the car.

I had a Landcruiser with a dicky speedo drive. It worked intermittently then stopped. Every time I drove it I was clocking the car more and more.

Keep mileage records from the NCT and make the info available. Don't allow people to tax non NCT'd cars aswell.
    It will be taken into consideration and if found to be legit you'll most likely not be convicted (no guarantees though).
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/act/pub/0003/sec0014.html
    (4) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section it shall be a defence to show that at the time of the alleged offence the person was acting in good faith in order to test, repair or replace the odometer of the mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

But the Act deals with a "dicky clock"

Interference with odometer of mechanically propelled vehicle
    14. (1)
    A person shall not interfere or attempt to interfere with the odometer of a mechanically propelled vehicle.
    (2) A person who contravenes, or who procures another person to contravene, subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class C fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months, or to both.
    (3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána has reasonable grounds for believing that a person is committing or has committed an offence under this section he or she may arrest the person without warrant.
    (4) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section it shall be a defence to show that at the time of the alleged offence the person was acting in good faith in order to test, repair or replace the odometer of the mechanically propelled vehicle.
    (5) In this section “odometer”, in relation to a mechanically propelled vehicle, means the device that measures and records the distance travelled by the vehicle but does not include an auxiliary device capable of being reset to measure and record individual journeys."

A faulty clock would no fall under the definition in the Act as there is no interference with the device.

Section 14 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2014/en.act.2014.0003.pdf

Came I to effect on the 20th March 2014. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2014/en.si.2014.0147.pdf

Funny the Independent says "And it would become a crime to have your car clocked. At the moment, it is a crime only to sell a clocked car." I'm so surprised a news paper getting it wrong, well I never.

slimjimmc wrote: »

All that happens there is that everyone clocking cars just needs to buy a few broken sets of clocks to show if they are ever caught so the legislation is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

All that happens there is that everyone clocking cars just needs to buy a few broken sets of clocks to show if they are ever caught so the legislation is pointless.

Indeed. No prohibition can guarantee it won't happen, it just ensures the alibis get better. ;)
    The NCT check won't catch cars that have been clocked before their first NCT either.

But

A faulty clock would no fall under the definition in the Act as there is no interference with the device.
    Disconnecting the device that tells the clock to add mileage (the speedo drive) has the same effect as altering by changing the mileage on the clocks.

My car has 99k on it now. If I drive it for 5 years and another 50k then clock it back to 99k, that's illegal but disconnect the speedo drive and keep it at 99k is ok?

• Advertisement

Try that excuse if a person wants, but when the State produce a witness who will give expert evidence don't be surprised if the DJ convicts. But I do agree it won't be a easy convict but nor will it be impossible.

Disconnecting the device that tells the clock to add mileage (the speedo drive) has the same effect as altering by changing the mileage on the clocks.

My car has 99k on it now. If I drive it for 5 years and another 50k then clock it back to 99k, that's illegal but disconnect the speedo drive and keep it at 99k is ok?

Yes disconnecting could be interference, hence why the offence is not moving a clock back, or even altering it, it is simply interfering with a clock, but I said a faulty clock, that would be a clock that is not working. No one has touched it so no interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Simplest solutions would be to have NCT mileage figures accessable to anyone, simply place registration number in to NCT site and all figures revealed at each test. Another additional step would be for the seller of a car to declare the current mileage at time of sale in to the change of ownership form.

Lots of cases where the NCT inspectors log the wrong readings by milrepresenting km's as miles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Lots of cases where the NCT inspectors log the wrong readings by milrepresenting km's as miles too.

They don't specify whether mileage reading is in km or miles.
    Crazy IMO.

Advertisement