Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My own personal brand of broscience

Options
  • 30-04-2014 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Weight: 78kg
    Height: 6'1''
    God tier chest and jawline genetics, shoulders lacking
    3200 calories a day (200+ grams of protein) Don't care where the rest comes from really
    Intermittent fasting

Aims:

1)Bulk to 85kg before september
    2) Prove I can look better than 90% of the population without heavy squats, deadlifts or anything 'functional'
    3) Use the time that everyone else my age is using on a J1 visa to grow more aesthetic and hopefully grow strong enough to carry the chip on my shoulder
    4) Lift till girls like me

Past Fitness:

Used to box but I'm sick of being punched in the face

Workout 1 - 29/4/14

Legs and arms

Squats 3x10
    80kg

Leg Press 3x10
    140 kg

Leg extension 2x10
    45kg

Leg Curl 2x10
    Doesn't matter/can't remember

Pullups 5x8
    10kg + bodyweight

Dips 5x8
    10kg + bodyweight

Preacher curls 2x20
    15 kg

Tricep cable extensions 2x20
    Can't remember

Just over an hour in the gym

Feel free to question/criticise that's how we all learn

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

What happens if an alfa males weapon of choice is a race?
    And he challenges you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

jane82 wrote: »
    What happens if an alfa males weapon of choice is a race?
    And he challenges you.

Don't see race I'm colour blind, if you're talking about running then alphas don't run.

Anyway

Had to train today since I just won't have time tomorrow, would usually take a days rest. Was a little sore which effected my lifts a little

Back/Chest/Shoulders

Incline Dumbell Press

20kg x 15
    30kg x 10
    30kg x 10
    27.5kg x 10
    25kg x 10

Bench Press
    60kg x 12 3 sets

Barbell Rows
    60kg x 12 5 sets

Lat pulldown
    45kg x 12 3 sets

Rear Laterals
    12kg x 12 3 sets

Side Laterals
    10kg x 8 3 sets

Shoulder Press (machine)
    Can't remember (not heavy) 3 sets

Shrugs
    80kg x 10 5 sets

3 sets of leg raises to keep the abs growing under the bulk.

13 months to Cali

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Why nothing heavy as you'd say?

Why nothing heavy as you'd say?

Everything I say is based on anecdotal evidence and my experience with my own body

Heavy bench will lead to nothing but shoulder injuries and an overemphasis on delt and triceps.

Keep it at a weight you can do 10-12 reps with if you want to build a chest. Lift heavier if you want to snap your shoulders or if you want to look like a professional power lifter i.e. barrel chest and beer gut.
    Most lads use their unimpressive strength gains as an excuse not to diet.
    I don't care what you bench if I can't see your abs.

As for squatting, unless your willing to invest hours correcting muscle imbalances and perfecting technique I wouldn't go far beyond bodyweight. And even if you do, you can still grow a nice pair of legs keeping it relatively light.
    I asked a lad from my gym to help me improve squat form. In the 15 minutes it took him to explain why I should open up my sacroiliac joint I was able to notice his arms were bigger but mine had a vein in it and his looked like a large pink ham and I had visible abs and all my hair. My leg muscles were smaller but they had a shape to them. Teardrop and clear seperations > big tree trunks that can squat 150 kg

In short i'll take looking better over getting stronger every time and I think higher rep ranges with lower weights is the way to get there

Is your calories in above or below maintenance?

• Advertisement

Is your calories in above or below maintenance?

4-500 over a day. Classic pound a week bulking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

urabell wrote: »
    Everything I say is based on anecdotal evidence and my experience with my own body

Heavy bench will lead to nothing but shoulder injuries and an overemphasis on delt and triceps.

Keep it at a weight you can do 10-12 reps with if you want to build a chest. Lift heavier if you want to snap your shoulders or if you want to look like a professional power lifter i.e. barrel chest and beer gut.
    Most lads use their unimpressive strength gains as an excuse not to diet.
    I don't care what you bench if I can't see your abs.

As for squatting, unless your willing to invest hours correcting muscle imbalances and perfecting technique I wouldn't go far beyond bodyweight. And even if you do, you can still grow a nice pair of legs keeping it relatively light.
    I asked a lad from my gym to help me improve squat form. In the 15 minutes it took him to explain why I should open up my sacroiliac joint I was able to notice his arms were bigger but mine had a vein in it and his looked like a large pink ham and I had visible abs and all my hair. My leg muscles were smaller but they had a shape to them. Teardrop and clear seperations > big tree trunks that can squat 150 kg

In short i'll take looking better over getting stronger every time and I think higher rep ranges with lower weights is the way to get there

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I might think it's bollocks but good luck with it.

You should try the compound lifts at the heaviest you can go with good technique. Let the abs go for the winter then start losing the gut a few months before the holiday for best results I reckon.
    Its the technique causing the injury not the exercise.
    But I will follow your broscience to see how you get on. I hope you are being truthful with results.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I might think it's bollocks but good luck with it.

Fair enough.

It depends what you're training for really.
    I want to look good on a beach and some people are happy carrying extra weight as long as they have the ability to lift relatively heavy but arbitrary weights over their head or on their back.

You should try the compound lifts at the heaviest you can go with good technique. Let the abs go for the winter then start losing the gut a few months before the holiday for best results I reckon.
    Its the technique causing the injury not the exercise.
    But I will follow your broscience to see how you get on. I hope you are being truthful with results.

I'll maintain that you can build legs with bodyweight squats and a chest with sub bodyweight bench. Chase the pump, stay consistent you'll see results.

Rather stay somewhat lean, don't believe in dirty bulking. I won't have a six pack as I move up in weight but I won't have a beergut.
    You should look your best with your t-shirt off.

Yeah do, maybe you'll learn something and even if you disagree keep questioning and I might learn something as well.

I see point in lying. I may provide pictures in time but would prefer to maintain anonymity so I can tell it like it is over in after hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't necessarily need to bulk, dirty or otherwise, to get stronger. Improving form helps you lift more and get stronger as well. I've not tried to bulk but I've put on 6kg in the last 6 months, I look leaner and I'm a lot stronger.

No harm in pushing yourself. You won't become fat by lifting a heavier weight. Jus' sayin.

You don't necessarily need to bulk, dirty or otherwise, to get stronger. Improving form helps you lift more and get stronger as well. I've not tried to bulk but I've put on 6kg in the last 6 months, I look leaner and I'm a lot stronger.

No harm in pushing yourself. You won't become fat by lifting a heavier weight. Jus' sayin.

No you don't, I have good form on bench press and deadlifts. My squats need some work but I won't injure myself. I'm going for a similar weight gain to yourself over the coming months.

I do push myself, if I lift heavier within an 8-12 rep range I will. I won't get fat because I won't obsess over what weight I am or what weight I lift. Only concerned with how I look. Gyms are filled with people who lift more than I do, more often than I do, half my gym is 100kg+ polish men who lift half the gym but who haven't seen their abs since they were 16.

You should look your best bollock naked, big swollen shapeless arms in a t-shirt is no good for anyone. Eat just over maintenance and keep a strict 8-12 rep range where you contract the muscle on every lift. Having a blowout forcing 150kg off the ground from a squat won't build muscle like a controlled set of 8 reps with half that weight, moving slowly. Pump and burn not pounds and ounces

I don't think you're going wrong, per se. I just think you might not be getting where you're going as efficiently as you could be. That said, i'm no expert.

8-12 reps on the compounds is cardio to me :D

I don't think you're going wrong, per se. I just think you might not be getting where you're going as efficiently as you could be. That said, i'm no expert.

8-12 reps on the compounds is cardio to me :-D

Increase the weight you do for 8-12 reps then. You should be burned out after the final rep

Increase the weight you do for 8-12 reps then. You should be burned out after the final rep

Oh.

It's a joke-free zone.

Oh.

It's a joke-free zone.

Sorry, humour's kind of my thing always throws me off when other people do it.

Thought you were part of the I only do 3-5 reps, if I can't feel it in my spine and knee ligaments then I mustn't be growing brigade

Thought you were part of the I only do 3-5 rep, if I can't feel it in my spine and knee ligaments then I mustn't be growing brigade

No. But i'm not part of the 'I can't do less than 8-12 reps or my pants won't fit because of my power-gut' either

Advertisement