Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 Legit Activation

Options
  • 30-04-2014 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a genuine Windows 8.1 Pro Disc and Key 100% legit purchased directly from Microsoft.

I have installed it on VMWare Workstation v10.2 but have not yet activated it.
    If I were to activate it on the VM machine and decided to use it on a new build at a later date, if I were to delete the virtual machine and install it on the new build, would it activate without issue or would it see the key as been already used/tied to another machine?

On a side note,

All new OEM PCs that come with Windows 8 pre-installed have the product key stored and encrypted in the UEFI or BIOS firmware chip. The product key is no longer on the COA sticker, Desktops & Laptops no longer come with the COA sticker attached to the machine. Is a keyfinder or the likes of Belarc the only way to retrieve the key in the event of a wipe and clean install or is there another method built into Windows that will allow you to find your key?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if it is a retail version with a retail key (non OEM) then there is no deactivation process. You can just power off the VM and activate that key on another instance. I believe if you try activate the same key over the internet too many times then you just need to call Microsoft and they will activate over phone. To do a phone activation simply click Start/Run "slui.exe 4" Enter, then Enter your country and follow instructions.

Advertisement