Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Lost Sheep Middle Distance Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Trig1 wrote: »
    No water stops on bike (or if there was I was going too fast to see them:D)
    Water and Hi Five stops every few km's on the run and in the last 2 stops on the run there is water, high five and coca cola

Yep as said earlier one in glengarrif, on the left just after taking the corner..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

trinewbie wrote: »
    Im pretty sure there was a water stop at the bottom at gelngarriff last year. could be wrong though
    Yep as said earlier one in glengarrif, on the left just after taking the corner..

know the spot. thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

yes I have one going, was going to post about it today. PM me

sorry ningnangnong, only got this now, internet playing havoc, presume your entry is gone..are the organisers ok with transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NingNangNong

sorry ningnangnong, only got this now, internet playing havoc, presume your entry is gone..are the organisers ok with transfers?

Gone to trinewbie I'm afraid. No problem with transfers. They'll try and match you up with someone if they know you are seeking a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I know I've always championed the TT bike choice for this race but I'm seriously considering using my road bike at the end of the month.

I've effectively done no training all summer so I've don't have a hope in hell of hitting my target for this race. I'd still hope to break 5 hours but it'll likely be very tight.

As a result of doing no training I hate my TT bike right now. It's a pig to ride and its worse to climb on. My road bike is more comfortable and lighter and as I don't really care about my time all that much I'd prefer to be comfortable that fast. Climbing will likely be quicker on the road bike and descending will certainly be quicker. I'll lose out on the rest of the course, but realistically how much of a difference can it be on that course? And do I give a damn.

Definitely hoping for some proper draft legal next year :)

• Advertisement

whats the swim like? choppy/calm?

whats the swim like? choppy/calm?

Depends on how accurate your crystal ball is.

sorry meant is it is lake river or sea

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's an estuary swim. Fairly sheltered and was flat calm last year. Bit of a current against you for some bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Could anybody tell me what the transfer procedure for thise race is? A guy from my club can't do it so I'm going to take his entry. Thanks.

PWEI wrote: »
    Could anybody tell me what the transfer procedure for thise race is? A guy from my club can't do it so I'm going to take his entry. Thanks.

From lost Sheep Facebook page:

"Transfers and swaps are well underway. Please respond promptly if you were lucky enough to get a spot. Window for all swaps and transfers ends 6th aug 2014. Email Thelostsheep@corktri.com for further information."

Today is last day - get busy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Podge83 wrote: »
    From lost Sheep Facebook page:

"Transfers and swaps are well underway. Please respond promptly if you were lucky enough to get a spot. Window for all swaps and transfers ends 6th aug 2014. Email Thelostsheep@corktri.com for further information."

Today is last day - get busy!!

Will do, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Captain Whizzer

I have an entry I can't use if someone wants it you can pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Another one bites the dust, I'm away with work at that time. Anyone who wants to take my entry please PM me.

Well, I've just had my request to transfer my entry for the Lost Sheep to someone else rejected as "The race list is closed". I think that race organisers need to be given some guidance on how to handle transfers - closing it over 3 weeks from the race is a bit rich IMO.

I have personal experience allowing people to transfer into our race up to a few days out (when the timing company need an entry list) so my disgruntlement is, I dunno, disgruntlement :-)

speedyj wrote: »
    Well, I've just had my request to transfer my entry for the Lost Sheep to someone else rejected as "The race list is closed". I think that race organisers need to be given some guidance on how to handle transfers - closing it over 3 weeks from the race is a bit rich IMO.

I have personal experience allowing people to transfer into our race up to a few days out (when the timing company need an entry list) so my disgruntlement is, I dunno, disgruntlement :-)

Like everything else there are two sides to the argument and in this case, on the surface, I must agree with you. Some other races allow later transfers.

On the side of the organizers though there are issues with sorting age groups etc - they usually have a good reason for setting these dates, and they did say on FB that there was a date set (although nothing on the website afaik).

I also organize a race (albeit a road (Running) race) and allow transfers right up to the timing companies cut off - it's not a big issue.

However, when it's such a big commitment as a half iron costing 96 quid a later transfer should surely be entertained if possible. Also, someone who wants to pay will be denied and there will be an empty berth for them - that's a shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aikau

Like everything else there are two sides to the argument and in this case, on the surface, I must agree with you. Some other races allow later transfers.

On the side of the organizers though there are issues with sorting age groups etc - they usually have a good reason for setting these dates, and they did say on FB that there was a date set (although nothing on the website afaik).

I also organize a race (albeit a road (Running) race) and allow transfers right up to the timing companies cut off - it's not a big issue.

However, when it's such a big commitment as a half iron costing 96 quid a later transfer should surely be entertained if possible. Also, someone who wants to pay will be denied and there will be an empty berth for them - that's a shame!!

It’s a good point you both raise. There appears to be trend of thinking with organisers that an entry fee is non-refundable after a set cut off point; a trend of thinking which appears to be supported by our GB. A mind-set which harkens back to the days pre 2007/2008.

From my own experience with organising events which require an entry fee and assignment of race numbers, there can be an issue with refunds after a cut-off point as costs have been incurred and services have been paid for. But on stating this, a straight transfer should be possible prior to the start of the race. It is a simple transfer by the vendor of a service to another customer.

With cancellations, there could be a voucher system. If you don’t take your race place or don’t transfer your entry, there could be a voucher for percentage of the entry fee issued for the same race for next season. The gesture would be enough to instil confidence in the vendor of not losing between 80-90 euros for an HIM/IM entry.

But considering the thread name, I have digressed from the point! : ).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aikau

Has anyone who was racing and is not now, have a booking for accommodation they would be willing to pass on?

I had a booking with the Coachman's in Kenmare that I cancelled last week, so they may have vacancies.

• Advertisement

I have one of these houses booked for the weekend and pgibbo has pulled out of travelling down so theres a room going free. Two bed self catering houses and they're very nice.

http://www.kenmarebayhotel.com/kenmare-self-catering/holiday-lodges.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

BTH wrote: »
    I have one of these houses booked for the weekend and pgibbo has pulled out of travelling down so theres a room going free. Two bed self catering houses and they're very nice.

http://www.kenmarebayhotel.com/kenmare-self-catering/holiday-lodges.php

Is that room still free?

BennyMul wrote: »
    Is that room still free?

Yup.

A quick question on this race.

In Cork Tri Club's own Website / Literature the cycle is referred to s 80k, 83k and 90k. Anyone know for sure which one it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

A quick question on this race.

In Cork Tri Club's own Website / Literature the cycle is referred to s 80k, 83k and 90k. Anyone know for sure which one it is?

80.4km going by my Garmin last year.
    1,100 metres of climbing ya hoo!!!

http://tpks.ws/CZvx

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ChristyM

Is the race briefing out yet?

Two good training days this weekend. Once I make it through the run next Saturday I should be in fine shape for the remainder of the event. Tidy evening on the vino on Friday followed up with half a dozen pints at a wedding afters last night has left me confident of putting in a strong showing next Saturday night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

BTH wrote: »
    Two good training days this weekend. Once I make it through the run next Saturday I should be in fine shape for the remainder of the event. Tidy evening on the vino on Friday followed up with half a dozen pints at a wedding afters last night has left me confident of putting in a strong showing next Saturday night. :D

Well if I finish the run before Saturday night I am pretty confident I will hold my own with the afters.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

wouldn't worry about the run, if the weather continues we'll either have to swim the whole lot, or if the forecast is to be believed the wind will be strong enough that the deep rims will turn the bike into a paragliding session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Does anybody know of any rooms available in self cetering accomodation for Firday night only? Thanks

Advertisement