Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi Timer/Controler/thermostat???

• 30-04-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm completely new to this plumbing thing, so apoligies if the below makes no sense!

I'm about to upgrade my heating system with an condensing burner and at the same time upgrade my heating controls with one zone and then hot water.

While I'm doing all of the above I'm looking to put in a wifi controlled timer switch. However what I'm very confused about is all these thermostat controls... Currently we have no thermostat (well we have one attached to the burner out in the shed, but nothing on the walls).

Does this make a difference, can I suddenly introduce a thermoset? I'm happy with it being on or off and no thermostat, but that seems harder to find...

The ones I've been looking at are:
    Heatmiser Neo - This seems to be thermostat?

Heatmiser TM1-TS WiFi RF Kit - WiFi Enabled Time Clock with RF Switching - Just a timer, but still very expensive for no thermostat

Salus IT500 - Thermostat again?

(Sorry not able to pist links for some reason)

I was hoping to buy Nest or Tado but these only appear to control heating and not hot water....

Am I missing something obvious here, or are all newer systems using thermostats and thats that....

Any input or help would be great I've looked at other threads, but cant seems to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The Salus control sounds good for you. It controls 2 zones and can connect to your wireless router.

You will probably need additional cabling to the boiler house and maybe additional plumbing depending on your system.

The heatmisser neo is also a great piece of kit, thermostats can be connected wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Hi, I'm thinking of replacing my own controls as well, I think that the unit I will us is either the Owl Intuition Hw (E400) or I'm also considering the possibility of a home automation system approach which would allow me control thermostatic valves in each room effectively creating zoning for each room. Plus it also allows the possibilities for other automation later such as lights.
    The other one criteria apart from being online or smart phone capable, is that it is reliable and doesn’t require interventions to reset as end user is not very Tech savy.

Comparison of internet/smart phone heating controls
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/smart-energy-systems-nest-hive-evohome-heat-genius-owl-tado-salus-it500-cosy_M13058.html

Advertisement