Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News: John O'Donovan Injured During Peaceful Protest Mod Warning #146

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just a suspicion. As I said, I could be wrong.
    A "panic attack" is hard to define and easy to fake.

Ah Right , Would it not be better to wait and see the extent of his injuries and to see what actually happened to the man before ridiculing him publically? Defamation laws apply to everyone you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It has to be said but Irish Water are making a complete horlicks of this.Why dont they move on to another place for the time being?.They also dont have any spokepeople to inform the media/public about what exactly they are doing,where they will be working,for how long etc.96fm keep saying that they cannot get hold of anyone from Irish Water to make a comment.

Its like a military operation they are carrying out.

To start charging €360 on the first year is also disgraceful.Fair enough that we should have to pay for water but could they not have started on something like €150.

I also cant believe that we are told it costs the government something like €1.3 billion annually to run the water system at present.Thats an astronomical figure.

Charges haven't been set yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He was talking normal enough to Prendeville after it happened, he didn't sound like a man in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He was talking normal enough to Prendeville after it happened, he didn't sound like a man in pain.

The €€€€ signs hadn't fully fallen across his eyes at that stage:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Couldn't give a toss about him. Grand for professional complainers and protestors to go around acting like martyrs when most of us are away doing a days work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Isn't there another person injured (irish water worker) more serious than John. Just told about this. l think it was on 103fm about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I am amazed at the attitude here regarding protesting and somehow it has been connected with being on the 'dole'

At the last protest I attended I only knew 3 people there.
    All of whom like myself are workers and do not draw any state benefit.
    Furthermore it should be realised that if there was no 'dole' in place there would be a lot more protesting.
    Also somehow that if someone is a protestor (on the dole or not) that they should not be entitled to receive medical aid in the form of an ambulance??

There are many issues at stake here,
    The present 'government' which only enjoys a 28% popularity at present are forcing people to pay twice for water.
    The water meters use ionising radiation to measure the fluoridated water.
    The Police and the Contractors are forcing their might on residents who chose not to be intimidated.

When has enough become enough, when will you protest?
    Is it when the water bills get too high?
    When the so called 'local property tax' (home tax) gets too high?

Xantia wrote: »
    I am amazed at the attitude here regarding protesting and somehow it has been connected with being on the 'dole'

Furthermore it should be realised that if there was no 'dole' in place there would be a lot more protesting.
    Also somehow that if someone is a protestor (on the dole or not) that they should not be entitled to receive medical aid in the form of an ambulance??

The present 'government' which only enjoys a 28% popularity at present are forcing people to pay twice for water.
    The Police and the Contractors are forcing their might on residents who chose not to be intimidated.

Or the residents are stopping other citizens from going about their business on public property?

When 'going about their business' is the business of forcing metering on an estate that does not want it, then it is not called 'going about their business', it is called 'forcing their might' to install meters.
    Once again the sad irony seems to escape posters that we, you all of us are already paying for water.

Will you stop with the ionising radiation. It's non-ionising.

• Advertisement

When 'going about their business' is the business of forcing metering on an estate that does not want it, then it is not called 'going about their business', it is called 'forcing their might' to install meters.
    Once again the sad irony seems to escape posters that we, you all of us are already paying for water.

*SIGH*

The residents do not own the estate, they do not own the the water pipes and have no right whatsoever to block to block workers going about their business. Would they be as quick to stop workers if there was raw sewerage coming out of the drains?

Ionising or not ionising, it is still a radio transmitter.
    It can now be determined whether a resident has used water or not therefore whether they are home or not.

bumper234 wrote: »
    *SIGH*

The residents do not own the estate, they do not own the the water pipes and have no right whatsoever to block to block workers going about their business. Would they be as quick to stop workers if there was raw sewerage coming out of the drains?

Why do you sigh?
    The residents are paying for the water already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Or the residents are stopping other citizens from going about their business on public property?

public property, keep them pesky residents away from it :)

I could claim you drove at me in your car, without evidence that's all it is....a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

28% popularity is a lot more than the "Anti-Austerity Alliance" enjoy in the polls to start with, there's a manifest lack of popular support for these "protests", most of the time it's a travelling gang of professional moaners who are at these protests not the residents, John O'Donovan being a prime example here. Also water charges is a far more equitable way to pay for water than general taxation, for one, as someone who doesn't have access to the public water supply why should I subsidise your water when I've to pay for mine? Also why should someone who uses almost no water have to pay the same as someone who has the taps running non-stop. Simply put, if you don't want something, vote for a party that will throw it out, but the majority voted for this government and that's how democracy work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

*SIGH*

who owns the pipes,? how did they get there,? who paid to put them in?

who is this magical benefactor who has provided free water to us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Anyone complaining about having to put in a water meter go put in a well and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Anyone complaining about having to put in a water meter go put in a well and be done with it.

That still won't work. Irish Water turned up at an estate and put water meters on the feeds.

Thing was that estate gets it water from a communal well not the water mains. :)

• Advertisement

It can now be determined whether a resident has used water or not therefore whether they are home or not.

That pretty much sums it up. Who cares about facts. Sur it's radiation, it must be bad. Sigh.

Your probably posting this from a mobile phone, or a laptop/pc with wireless access:D

hju6 wrote: »
    who owns the pipes,? how did they get there,? who paid to put them in?

who is this magical benefactor who has provided free water to us ?

Who own the pipes - we do, the people who paid for them to be installed.
    How did they get there - by us paying taxes
    Who put them in - contractors that the local authority employed to put the pipes in, which we again paid for.

The water did not come from any 'magical benefactor' they have been installed for many years, we and our parents generation paid for that.

This generation which seems to like the wool being pulled over its eyes will pay again for a water supply that is already bought and paid for.

Furthermore any proposed charges/reliefs etc. decision is being put off until after local and euro elections so as to minimise damage to an already damaged 'government'

Your probably posting this from a mobile phone, or a laptop/pc with wireless access:D

No, but the guy who will turn off your water and other posters water will use a laptop in his van to do so

No, but the guy who will turn off your water and other posters water will use a laptop in his van to do so

Why would someone turn my water off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Don't know anything about man in op, but the irish water crowd are a tribunal in the future. Guaranteed.

That pretty much sums it up. Who cares about facts. Sur it's radiation, it must be bad. Sigh.

Again with the sigh?
    Yes it is radiation, why is it required?

Read up on smart meters, it is just another problem placed at the door of hard working people who are paying again for water under the guise of it being fair.

What is not fair is the millions (sorry Billions) being payed out to zombie banks and bondholders.

Why would someone turn my water off?

I assume they would turn it off for non payment of their doubly charged water

I assume they would turn it off for non payment of their doubly charged water

I assume they would turn it off if i don't pay, know what i will do? I will pay and i will continue to enjoy fresh drinking water on tap. I will continue to enjoy hot baths and showers on demand. I will continue to enjoy my lush green garden as the sprinklers catch the suns rays.

• Advertisement

Again with the sigh?
    Yes it is radiation, why is it required?

Read up on smart meters, it is just another problem placed at the door of hard working people who are paying again for water under the guise of it being fair.

What is not fair is the millions (sorry Billions) being payed out to zombie banks and bondholders.

There is a large difference between ionising radiatin and non-ionising radiation which we all make use of every day and is safe. The protestors are using the presence of non-ionising radiation as a scare tactic which is disengenous, and as for you calling it ionising radiation and not getting why I care, well it's just wrong. There is no ionising radiation source in the meters.

You make it sound like radiation = bad. That's is untrue.

Advertisement