Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News: John O'Donovan Injured During Peaceful Protest Mod Warning #146

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

28% popularity is a lot more than the "Anti-Austerity Alliance" enjoy in the polls to start with, there's a manifest lack of popular support for these "protests", most of the time it's a travelling gang of professional moaners who are at these protests not the residents, John O'Donovan being a prime example here. Also water charges is a far more equitable way to pay for water than general taxation, for one, as someone who doesn't have access to the public water supply why should I subsidise your water when I've to pay for mine? Also why should someone who uses almost no water have to pay the same as someone who has the taps running non-stop. Simply put, if you don't want something, vote for a party that will throw it out, but the majority voted for this government and that's how democracy work.

As far as I know the anti austerity alliance were not in any polls but you are probably correct.
    Yes there are an element of travelling moaners who seem to enjoy this type of thing but they are not in the majority.
    The problem once again is that we are already paying for water, otherwise it would not come out of the tap.
    Would we get a refund of that if a meter is installed ? Not Likely...
    Dont vote for parties, they abuse the whip system.
    Examine the record of any party, they have lied to get into power and will do anything to stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Xantia wrote: »
    Ionising or not ionising, it is still a radio transmitter.
    It can now be determined whether a resident has used water or not therefore whether they are home or not.

Sure its a good thing if they can measure how much water is actually being used that way you only pay for what you use.

Here is a completely radical idea for people who dont want to pay for water "dont use it".

There is a large difference between ionising radiatin and non-ionising radiation which we all make use of every day and is safe. The protestors are using the presence of non-ionising radiation as a scare tactic which is disengenous, and as for you calling it ionising radiation and not getting why I care, well it's just wrong. There is no ionising radiation source in the meters.

You make it sound like radiation = bad. That's is untrue.

Its immaterial, the underlying situation is that the meters can be read and controlled remotely by radio waves.
    Why do we need another flood of radio waves around us?

geeksauce wrote: »
    Sure its a good thing if they can measure how much water is actually being used that way you only pay for what you use.

Here is a completely radical idea for people who dont want to pay for water "dont use it".

Great, measure the amount of water that is being used, but dont ask me to pay for it again because I am paying for it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Red Nissan wrote: »
    That still won't work. Irish Water turned up at an estate and put water meters on the feeds.

Thing was that estate gets it water from a communal well not the water mains. :)

He means a private well, what you are referring to is a public well. Unless the residents paid for sinking the well and maintaining it which I doubt, they will be charged for the water they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its immaterial, the underlying situation is that the meters can be read and controlled remotely by radio waves.

To communicate information about usage in areas, areas that are near capacity and future provisions for increased supply may need to be made, to alert about loss of water pressure, to report errors with the meters so they can be fixed, to allow reporting of usage and not need people coming around reading the meters every few months... lots of reasons really.

We are already surrounded in radio waves. Sunlight, electromagnetic radiation from the earth itself, TV, radio, mobile phones, private communication networks for guardai taxis ambulance etc, wifi, wireless ISPs... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

We have a weird attitude to protests in this country. Anyone complaining in this country belongs to "That Crowd". You know, the dole-depending, compo-claiming, lazy, tree-hugging, anti-everything crowd. I don't know the guy involved or the circumstances, but the fact that someone is protesting seems to immediately tar that person with that brush.

To me that's a strange value system. We endlessly complain and whine on forums (utterly ineffective) yet we complain and mock anyone who tries a public protest (better chance of being effective - at least they're trying!). The same thinking behind people who'll never complain to the waiter when they ask, but will whine about the food all the way home. And mock anyone who raises a fuss. I'm too much of a wuss to go out and protest, so I admire those who do all the more.

With this kind of institutionalised apathy, little wonder the country's taken the path it has.

Great, measure the amount of water that is being used, but dont ask me to pay for it again because I am paying for it already.

Oh right yeah ok then. I think its looking likely that you will be asked to pay for it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Tin-foil-hats-Signs.jpg

bumper234 wrote: »
    Tin-foil-hats-Signs.jpg

Brilliant

**saves image for future use**

• Advertisement

Oh right yeah ok then. I think its looking likely that you will be asked to pay for it anyway.

As I have already stated, I am paying for water already, I don't mind paying for water already.
    However I should not have to pay for it again.
    Similar situation when I had to buy a house a few years ago, I payed stamp duty, then I was told I had to pay another tax on top of that (a tax on the tax so to speak)

Below is a direct quote from a newsfeed, you will see that Residents are protesting around the country about this extra charge which many can ill afford.

Cork Gardai were called to two housing estates in Togher this morning as protests continue over the installation of water meters. Residents formed blockades earlier as Irish Water staff attempted to work. Meanwhile Water meter protests have spread across Dublin with Neilstown locals vowing to block their installation. Residents have held a major protest meeting in Rowlagh estate after being told that meters will be installed from next month. The protest comes a week after residents in Raheny also demonstrated against the meters.

As I have already stated, I am paying for water already, I don't mind paying for water already.
    However I should not have to pay for it again.
    Similar situation when I had to buy a house a few years ago, I payed stamp duty, then I was told I had to pay another tax on top of that (a tax on the tax so to speak)

Below is a direct quote from a newsfeed, you will see that Residents are protesting around the country about this extra charge which many can ill afford.

Cork Gardai were called to two housing estates in Togher this morning as protests continue over the installation of water meters. Residents formed blockades earlier as Irish Water staff attempted to work. Meanwhile Water meter protests have spread across Dublin with Neilstown locals vowing to block their installation. Residents have held a major protest meeting in Rowlagh estate after being told that meters will be installed from next month. The protest comes a week after residents in Raheny also demonstrated against the meters.

How are you already paying for it.

To communicate information about usage in areas, areas that are near capacity and future provisions for increased supply may need to be made, to alert about loss of water pressure, to report errors with the meters so they can be fixed, to allow reporting of usage and not need people coming around reading the meters every few months... lots of reasons really.

We are already surrounded in radio waves. Sunlight, electromagnetic radiation from the earth itself, TV, radio, mobile phones, private communication networks for guardai taxis ambulance etc, wifi, wireless ISPs... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

Great, Install a large capacity meter at the exit road of each estate then.
    The so called 'rollout' of meters is costing €539m
    That would plug a lot of leaks
    and thats not counting the exorbitant pensions or salaries of executives in yet another quango

Some panic attack. He's been released already.

How are you already paying for it.

Go to your tap.
    Turn on the tap.
    Does water come out?
    I presume so.
    I am paying taxes.
    The taxes fund that water.
    If I and all the other taxpayers did not pay for water then it would not come out of the tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Folks, anyone taking bets that this genius is posting while on a WiFi or 3G connection...?

Go to your tap.
    Turn on the tap.
    Does water come out?
    I presume so.
    I am paying taxes.
    If I and all the other taxpayers did not pay for water then it would not come out of the tap.

Through taxes you already pay then. Well its quite simple really when Irish water begin issuing bills the taxes you are paying now that are allocated to the provision of water services will simply be allocated elsewhere.

This simply means you wont be paying twice only once, so there you go now problem solved for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

True for you. Tinfoilhatten forwaert! <Shakes tiny, impotent fist at the Microwave Background...> :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Go to your tap.
    Turn on the tap.
    Does water come out?
    I presume so.
    I am paying taxes.

I pay taxes that make the water flow when you turn on your tap.
    However, my water only flows out of my tap because I paid money for it.
    Now you will do that and both our taxes will go somewhere else.
    Welcome to equality.

I pay taxes that make the water flow when you turn on your tap.
    However, my water only flows out of my tap because I paid money for it.
    Now you will do that and both our taxes will go somewhere else.
    Welcome to equality.

Exactly and if you and I both pay the same amount in taxes and I use twice as much water as you then you are in theory subsidising my water usage. Meters will solve this issue making it equitable for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Through taxes you already pay then. Well its quite simple really when Irish water begin issuing bills the taxes you are paying now that are allocated to the provision of water services will simply be allocated elsewhere.

This simply means you wont be paying twice only once, so there you go now problem solved for you.

And now people will only pay for what they use - clean drinkable water is very expensive to so the people who wastefully use it to wash their cars, water their lawns etc will have to pay for that utter extravagance.

People who use only a little water will only have a small bill to pay.

Unless they are in the anti-meter brigade who will pay a flat fee regardless of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 m31

*yawn* Wouldn't we all love to be able to stand outside our houses in the sunshine during the working day, stopping other people doing their job...
    evilivor wrote: »
    Can they deduct it from dole?
    Couldn't give a toss about him. Grand for professional complainers and protestors to go around acting like martyrs when most of us are away doing a days work.

Xantia , you are only wasting your time arguing with "these" people . They tar everyone as a dole head etc etc. These are the people who will vote Labour and Fine Gael in again , because they are the " haves " . It is a case of " Fook you jack , i am alright " They have the money to pay , It's a different story tho when "these " people lose their jobs and can't pay their big mortgages or pay for their trips abroad , then they want welfare.

How many posters here have said derogatory remarks about people who have no jobs . They are so ignorant , there are people who have jobs protesting also. So DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME !!

Hypocrites the lot of them !!

Exactly and if you and I both pay the same amount in taxes and I use twice as much water as you then you are in theory subsidising my water usage. Meters will solve this issue making it equitable for all.

I was talking more along the lines that I don't have access to the public water mains (paid for by everyone's, including my, taxes), I have to pay out for my own private well, but yeah that's another dimension to it!

m31 wrote: »
    Xantia , you are only wasting your time arguing with "these" people . They tar everyone as a dole head etc etc. These are the people who will vote in Labour and Fine Gael in again , because they are the " haves " . It is a case of " Fook you jack , i am alright " They have the money to pay , It's a different story tho when "these " people lose their jobs and can't pay their big mortgages or pay for their trips abroad , then they want welfare.

How many posters here have said derogatory remarks about people who have no jobs . They are so ignorant , there are people who have jobs protesting also. So DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME !!

Hypocrites the lot of them !!

Link to somewhere showing I talked about 'dole heads' as you put it. Thanks

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?;)

evilivor wrote: »
    And now people will only pay for what they use - clean drinkable water is very expensive to so the people who wastefully use it to wash their cars, water their lawns etc will have to pay for that utter extravagance.

People who use only a little water will only have a small bill to pay.

Unless they are in the anti-meter brigade who will pay a flat fee regardless of use.

Hopefully we all have to pay the metered amounts, and no exemptions or flat fees for anyone, unless the flat fee's are going to be substantially higher than the average metered usage.

Hopefully we all have to pay the metered amounts, and no exemptions or flat fees for anyone, unless the flat fee's are going to be substantially higher than the average metered usage.

I'm in agreement there, standing charges or free allowances are cop-outs, it discourages water conservation anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It's a disgrace Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It's a disgrace Joe

Surprised no one has used that old doozey

"Sure the amount of rain we get in this country we don't need to conserve it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Irish Water WANT a Standing Charge of €200 per household PLUS the metered amount or flat fee.

Been all over the news before this.

• Advertisement

I'm in agreement there, standing charges or free allowances are cop-outs, it discourages water conservation anyway.

Indeed and conservation is a major plus of metering.

Advertisement