Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking News: John O'Donovan Injured During Peaceful Protest Mod Warning #146

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I believe he shared his spin with an Irish Water worker too, who was also briefly hospitalised.

But got no publicity as it didn't fit in with the OP's agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

josip wrote: »

Pity you can not understand the difference between receivers (scanners) and transmitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I whole heartedly support the anti water charge brigade but John o Donovan is a pest he has something to say on everything. Honestly you can't turn on red fm, 96 fm, or joe Duffy without him throwing his opinion about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

But got no publicity as it didn't fit in with the OP's agenda.

Well I believe it did now. All in the name of balanced bladadebah. :)

I believe he shared his spin with an Irish Water worker too, who was also briefly hospitalised.
    Not so. The incidents were 3 hours apart. I don't think the worker needed an ambulance. Both were released after assessment.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/protester-and-irish-water-worker-injured-after-meter-dispute-30232727.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Xantia wrote: »
    Pity you can not understand the difference between receivers (scanners) and transmitters.

Most of the population carry receivers around with them all day, the majority of the population will pass, walk by and even work beneath transmitters every day. Why are you not protesting about this? Is a mobile phone tower an acceptable transmitter?

rob316 wrote: »
    I whole heartedly support the anti water charge brigade but John o Donovan is a pest he has something to say on everything. Honestly you can't turn on red fm, 96 fm, or joe Duffy without him throwing his opinion about.

Sorry, never heard of him.

It still saddens me that a Private Company can be assisted by State Police in forcing installation of water charging meters.
    I assume there were no public representatives, councillors there at the protest?

bumper234 wrote: »
    Most of the population carry receivers around with them all day, the majority of the population will pass, walk by and even work beneath transmitters every day. Why are you not protesting about this? Is a mobile phone tower an acceptable transmitter?

A mobile phone tower is not forcibly placed outside everyones house.

Quote from a twitter feed today, might be of interest to those who think that it will be small change to pay for water.

€44.8 million to IBM;
    Accenture €17.2m;
    Ernst & Young €4.6m;
    KPMG €2.2m;
    McCann Fitzgerald solicitors €970,000 and its rival,
    A&L Goodbody, will receive €2.9m while another
    €13.3m is "covered by another 18 contractors who were procured."
    And €200,000 a year for John "majorly incompetent" Tierney!

...and as for the ailing infrastructure of broken pipes and leaks? Not a penny invested to date...

Think about that...

A mobile phone tower is not forcibly placed outside everyones house.

Do people have the right not to have one near them? Do workers have the right not to have them atop the buildings they work in? Should children not be protected from them? Or do you not mind them because you use them every day ergo they are alright in your book?

Fyi the water meters are not being "forcibly" placed outside peoples homes. The sooner Irish water stop telling people where they are doing installs the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It still saddens me that a Private Company can be assisted by State Police in forcing installation of water charging meters.
    I assume there were no public representatives, councillors there at the protest?

His name is John he speaks with a real strong cork accent if you turn on prendevile he is 90% guaranteed to be on.

Do people have the right not to have one near them? Do workers have the right not to have them atop the buildings they work in? Should children not be protected from them? Or do you not mind them because you use them every day ergo they are alright in your book?

Fyi the water meters are not being "forcibly" placed outside peoples homes. The sooner Irish water stop telling people where they are doing installs the better.

I have no answers for your questions regarding the location of meters, however surely it is a valid point to be added to all the other valid arguments about the forced installation of water metering.

Yes, unfortunately those meters are now being forcibly installed. The Police are present at locations where a Private company are installing meters. How much more forcibly is required?

rob316 wrote: »
    His name is John he speaks with a real strong cork accent if you turn on prendevile he is 90% guaranteed to be on.

Thanks for that, sorry dont listen to much commercial radio these days.
    Might give it a listen on their web site.

Picture this, a child is playing on the footpath, she is very vulnerable to radio waves as are all children that age are.

The meters are underground, meaning that a powerful signal is emitted, the child could spend a considerable amount of time within three feet of that radio signal.

We KNOW, that mobile phones can damage the brain and cause tumors, damage is proximity, strength and exposure rates or time in contamination area ratio to the to the other factors.

In this theory the child is likely to be closer to a harmful radio source at the end of her driveway and possibly play there for longer periods of time than she is exposed to WiFi and Microwaves in her own home where she will or would be playing at greater distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

geeksauce wrote: »
    I'd imagine the standing charge covers the meter itself, the installation and future maintenance of said meter, don't really see an issue with this tbh.

What if you don't have a meter. In an apartment block say. Why should we pay for installation of meters that don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just as a matter of interest, who do you think will get the profits of this company if it becomes profitable in time?

I have no answers for your questions regarding the location of meters, however surely it is a valid point to be added to all the other valid arguments about the forced installation of water metering.

Yes, unfortunately those meters are now being forcibly installed. The Police are present at locations where a Private company are installing meters. How much more forcibly is required?

They are there because people are illegally stopping working people from going about their business in public.

Just as a matter of interest, who do you think will get the profits of this company if it becomes profitable in time?

Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Dubai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

We KNOW, that mobile phones can damage the brain and cause tumors, damage is proximity, strength and exposure rates or time in contamination area ratio to the to the other factors.

We know no such thing.

Picture this, a child is playing on the footpath, she is very vulnerable to radio waves as are all children that age are.

The meters are underground, meaning that a powerful signal is emitted, the child could spend a considerable amount of time within three feet of that radio signal.

would love to see your evidence for this
    In this theory the child is likely to be closer to a harmful radio source at the end of her driveway and possibly play there for longer periods of time than she is exposed to WiFi and Microwaves in her own home where she will or would be playing at greater distances.

Do you turn your wifi off when not in use? Because unless you do then any child in your house is going to be exposed to wifi signals for the 8/10 hours they are there.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    We know no such thing.

Fine. However, the EU were debating banning mobile phones for children under 12 years of age.

There wont be any profits for quite a few years.
    As in a previous post, they are spending money like it's water...

Have a look at the Quango blurb Here

When the buyout comes down the pipe it will be bought, note it wont be sold, just bought.
    Water it appears has become just another commodity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Dubai.

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

With climate change, Ireland is positioned to be the Rain Collector of Europe and some desert areas like the Sahara becomes green again and possible the food belt [again] but the Middle East becomes even drier.

Water is the new oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What DAFUQ did I just read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

My brothers wife used to have a red Nissan. It was a banger.

What DAFUQ did I just read.

Every now and then there is a glitch in the Matrix and a post that is meant for the Conspiracy Theory forum accidentally makes its way into the realms of the real world. Please do not panic.....the correct authorities have been informed and a contamination team is on its way. We will need to wipe your memory after this but that's no problem because you will not remember the post or me afterward. Have a nice day and thank you for drinking omnicorpwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Spluttering ****e all over the place was it?

Spluttering ****e all over the place was it?

I was going to say I bought off his relative, mine sounds so similar. Or, just maybe it's all Nissans?

• Advertisement

The Datsuns were better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Fine. However, the EU were debating banning mobile phones for children under 12 years of age.

seriously what is the point? they are more likely to be close to the phone anyway, in the car with their parents or at home.

the truth is people arguing "the smart meter's are dangerous" are doing so because they are losing the "we shouldn't have to pay for water" argument it a last ditch attempt to block what is inevitably coming down the line....

hoodwinked wrote: »
    seriously what is the point? they are more likely to be close to the phone anyway, in the car with their parents or at home.

the truth is people arguing "the smart meter's are dangerous" are doing so because they are losing the "we shouldn't have to pay for water" argument it a last ditch attempt to block what is inevitably coming down the line....

There is nobody losing anything. In fact they are just using it as another reference in an already full listing of problems that people have with water meters and their method of installation.
    As predicted earlier today the charges for these wont be released by the 'government' until after the local/euro elections.

Why is there an inevitability about water metering, is it the old argument - well everyone else has them so we have to have them as well?
    Or is it that we need to pay more in taxes (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

There is nobody losing anything. In fact they are just using it as another reference in an already full listing of problems that people have with water meters and their method of installation.
    As predicted earlier today the charges for these wont be released by the 'government' until after the local/euro elections.

Why is there an inevitability about water metering, is it the old argument - well everyone else has them so we have to have them as well?

It's not a tax - it a payment for usage, like with gas, electricity and other scarce and expensive to produce items.

Your'e the only one i have seen bring up the radio transmitters and claim they are a danger, you even tried to claim they would be emitting dangerous radiation and such tripe.

The fall off distance from the typical mobile phone is 10" @.025w.

I have not looked up the fall off distance from these meters, anything more I say is speculation. My comments are general physics. I am a radio enthusiast and I know a small bit about radio.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    It's not a tax - it a payment for usage, like with gas, electricity and other scarce and expensive to produce items.

Another false idea.
    If Electricity was provided 'free of charge' to everyone without metering and we were of course paying for it via taxes.
    Then if metering of electricity was introduced what would happen to the tax revenue that was sent to the electricity providers in the first place.

Again it is being missed, we are already paying, why are we now paying again.

Here is a comment from a broadsheet published today which is very relevant to the 'government' that proclaimed to remove quangos:

Wrong again. We don't like paying to support a very expensive quango, top heavy with overpaid administrators that wastes a king's ranson on consultants and is run by a man with a proven track record of wasting public money.
    This quango will waste a fortune setting up all sorts of counting systems (for the bean counters to play with) before a broken pipe is fixed. The cost of setting up the quango will be a massive overhead on the price of water for years to come.
    And regulation will be a joke (not very funny). The entity charged with regulating Irish Water (CER) is the same lapdog of the ESB and Bord Gais. The lads and women at CER are from the same academy for joke regulation as Paddy Neary, the bankers lapdog..
    If it was only the water I had to pay for I wouldn't mind. But I'm not paying for the inefficiency or the bonuses.

The fall off distance from the typical mobile phone is 10" @.025w.

I have not looked up the fall off distance from these meters, anything more I say is speculation. My comments are general physics. I am a radio enthusiast and I know a small bit about radio.

Yes you are correct that there is a general fall off and indeed it will probably be more of a fall off if the meter is buried, however there will be multiple meters, all transmitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Everyone has the right to peaceful protest, but it very low for a group of people to intimidate or injure a person going about an honest days work. These lads/ladies are not the ones taking your money

Yes you are correct that there is a general fall off and indeed it will probably be more of a fall off if the meter is buried, however there will be multiple meters, all transmitting.

Yes, however, these meters are meant to be read remotely, therefore the POWER will have to be higher to overcome the fall off that Iron, very effcetive and the concrete, quite effective has.

As example put your WiFi unit underground and cover it with an inch of concrete and put a half inch metal cover over it, you'll need to be touching the cover to get a signal, and that is probably spillage at that.

and there are not multiple mobile phones? routers? microwaves? radio waves?

• Advertisement

and there are not multiple mobile phones? routers? microwaves? radio waves?

Time, strength and exposure. All radiation, and radio is just that, has an effect on people.

People are actually quite vulnerable to radio, but we usually don't experience the effects long enough to cause any real harm.

In an irony, we exist on this planet because we are protected by a huge radio wave, the Van Allen Belt, without it, compound life, of which you are one of, would not have developed on this planet ~ all other things being equal.

But this is really a different subject, so apologies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Another false idea.
    If Electricity was provided 'free of charge' to everyone without metering and we were of course paying for it via taxes.
    Then if metering of electricity was introduced what would happen to the tax revenue that was sent to the electricity providers in the first place.

Again it is being missed, we are already paying, why are we now paying again.

What's your point? Something was funded in one particular way, and now it will be funded in a different way. This is something that needs funding on an ongoing basis - water treatment, maintenance, administration, wages, etc.

Time, strength and exposure. All radiation, and radio is just that, has an effect on people.

People are actually quite vulnerable to radio, but we usually don't experience the effects long enough to cause any real harm.

In an irony, we exist on this planet because we are protected by a huge radio wave, the Van Allen Belt, without it, compound life, of which you are one of, would not have developed on this planet ~ all other things being equal.

But this is really a different subject, so apologies. :)

sorry im interested to learn!

but i see this side of the water meter argument as a moot point to be fair,

the worst one i heard was that "they hacked into the smart water meter and turned on and off the houses electricity"

people are desperately searching for a reason to not pay for this, they pay for water in the uk and in other countries but we seem to think we are exempt in ireland for paying our own way through life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I'm in one of the estates in togher that are currently protesting. Heard a statement from one of protesters that majority of households support them. All I know is I and any neighbour I've spoken to wasnt asked if wanted a blockade. Democracy at its best

seefin wrote: »
    I'm in one of the estates in togher that are currently protesting. Heard a statement from one of protesters that majority of households support them. All I know is I and any neighbour I've spoken to wasnt asked if wanted a blockade. Democracy at its best

It has become clear that not all households are opposing the meters.

I'm unsure what I am going to do, when my turn comes, Irish people never support each other anyway, I'm sure it's a DNA thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

What's your point? Something was funded in one particular way, and now it will be funded in a different way. This is something that needs funding on an ongoing basis - water treatment, maintenance, administration, wages, etc.

And you are still paying the original money (tax) as well as the new change so I guess the protestors point is why the double payment? Where is the current money which funds water supply going instead if water is now going to be funded by the new charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just let 'em in to do the work. As long as they don't make a mess, then no problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ludo wrote: »
    And you are still paying the original money (tax) as well as the new change so I guess the protestors point is why the double payment? Where is the current money which funds water supply going instead if water is now going to be funded by the new charges?

Into the rest of the black hole that is our budget deficit, maybe?

Trying to plug that drain that is leading to cutbacks and public service recruitment bans, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭josip

Without Tx there is no Rx.
    For some of us this is our job, not our hobby. :rolleyes:

josip wrote: »
    Without Tx there is no Rx.
    For some of us this is our job, not our hobby. :rolleyes:

Well, one can Tx, we are broadcasting all our radio signals into space, ET may well find us from that. But as we know, the planet has been Txing for trillions of years already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement