Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Recommendations

Options
  • 30-04-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

My husband and I have just bought a second-hand house in Co Kildare. We want to do a little bit of work to it, like knock through a wall to make the kitchen & sitting room in to one bigger room, possibly build on a small extension to that same room etc. We'd like to make the most of natural light, while also making sure the space is design-beautiful.

We've been in touch with, what sounds like a very capable, detailed and reliable builder (judgement based on conversations we've had with him, as well as recommendations from people who've worked with him before). He says that he might have plans of past works that he could possibly use for our building works.

We're just wondering if people would recommend paying the money to get an architect, to ensure we're really happy with the result? How much an architect might charge for a small job like this? If anyone can recommend a good, trendy architect who would work on a Co Kildare house?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Use an engineer instead it is cheaper and way more practical getting sign off.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

Hi Ray,

Thanks a million for your reply!

Pardon my ignorance (I'm not au fait with the building sector at all) - what type of engineer would we need? And would they be able to design something aesthetic / design-beautiful, while also making the most of space & natural light?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A structural engineer. Yes engineers are quite capable of designing something to be pleasing to the eye. An architect is just s fancy protected title that quite often have to hire an engineer to do the technical work. Unless you are doing something extraordinary an architect is over kill and they charge a lot for the work in a very unfair system based on build costs.
    Why should an architect get paid more because you have a high build quality? Or you make a room a few feet bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KATM

Hi Ray,

That makes sense. We already had a structural engineer around to carry out a review of the property for us. He might be able to help us.

Can you recommend anyone else who has done some aesthetically nice work?

Thanks a million,
    Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 49 captain_irish

I agree with Ray. Absolutely no need for an architect. Worked in the building trade for years in my experience they just get in the way and get hung up on minute irrelevant details because they don't know about anything else. (they can draw, big whoop, so can a 5 yr old) I'd forget about the engineer for now though.just someone else to get in the way and fork out for. Nobody knows more than You and the husband as to what your looking for. Sit down with the builder, talk to him about what your looking for, bounce ideas off him ask him for his opinion if something will work or not. he will have no doubt done it lots of times and if he's as good as you say, he'll be the most helpful person you could talk to about everything. Nobody knows better than the person thats actually doing the work.if you still have any doubts after talking to him then hire a GOOD engineer (don't go cheap). but whatever you do DON'T GET AN ARCHITECT. p.s. congrats on the new home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP is the considered extension to the rear of the house? Can you tell us if the house has been extended before and by how many m2?
    I would advise you to seek planning, building reg & structural Certs for alterations carried out (by a 3rd PI covered party not the builder)to ensure in the future you or your family have no issue sealing it, mortgaging it, insuring it.

Ps a builder will often say there is no need for a professional arch or eng. Of course they will say 'they get in the way':) but it's when something goes wrong, for certification, for an experienced design opinion or when your not being listened too, that you'll find they are handy.

Edit: if you wanted to competitively tender for this work, how would you compare like for like prices with out architect drawings & specification/scope document?

Advertisement