Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun License Expiration

Options
  • 30-04-2014 11:18am

Hi Guys,

Quick question;

One of my shotgun licenses is set to expire in August, however I do not wish to hold onto this weapon as I now only need the one for Clay Shooting.

Whats the procedure for cash trade in prior to expiration? Do I need to inform the Guards that I no longer require this weapon if I'm looking to sell privately?

Or typically would a weapons retailer look after this if I'm looking to return to the gun shop I originally purchased it in?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Generally if you tell a Garda you don't need a weapon anymore, they'll be reaching for the cuffs before you realise you need to tell them that you meant "firearm" and that you're not confessing to having shot someone :)

Also, we don't have weapons retailers, we have registered firearms dealers. For the same reason. There are weapons retailers in Ireland, but there are specific Garda operations to catch them.

But to answer your intended question, it's easier to sort out the sale while your licence is still current, and once it's been sold and the RFD's taken possession of it - or the buyer has their licence and has taken possession of it if you sold it without going via an RFD - then you can fill in an FCA2 form and cancel the licence or just let the old one expire (but I'd go for the FCA2, it lets everyone know what's happening and nobody panics when you don't go to reapply in August).

• Sparks wrote: »
    Generally if you tell a Garda you don't need a weapon anymore, they'll be reaching for the cuffs before you realise you need to tell them that you meant "firearm" and that you're not confessing to having shot someone :)

Also, we don't have weapons retailers, we have registered firearms dealers. For the same reason. There are weapons retailers in Ireland, but there are specific Garda operations to catch them.

But to answer your intended question, it's easier to sort out the sale while your licence is still current, and once it's been sold and the RFD's taken possession of it - or the buyer has their licence and has taken possession of it if you sold it without going via an RFD - then you can fill in an FCA2 form and cancel the licence or just let the old one expire (but I'd go for the FCA2, it lets everyone know what's happening and nobody panics when you don't go to reapply in August).
    I was talking about the registered firearms dealers, my technical wording was a bit off :P

I think I will go straight to the RFD where I purchased the gun in the first place to save the me the hassle of the FCA2.

Thanks very much dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Sparks wrote: »

Ah I dont think the AGS share the same views. :)

The Commissioner Guidelines refer to them as weapons in multiple places and I've seen in some of your posts where you quoted court cases (think it was the McCarron case in particular) the W word got thrown about quite often by both judge and super.

And from my own experience with Gardai at the front desk, when your dropping in an FCA1 form they chatty ones sometimes ask "a Remington 700? What kind of weapon is that?" :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

....just let the old one expire ...

I think that may technically be illegal. I think you're supposed to inform AGS when you dispose of a firearm, and not to hold onto a Cert for a gun you no longer have.

Sandy22 wrote: »
    I think that may technically be illegal. I think you're supposed to inform AGS when you dispose of a firearm, and not to hold onto a Cert for a gun you no longer have.
    If you dispose of it by destroying it, that's true. If you sell it on, then there's other paperwork (the FCA1 of the buyer for example) that provides the paper trail because their FCA1 will reference you as the source.

• Advertisement

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    Ah I dont think the AGS share the same views. :)
    The Commissioner Guidelines refer to them as weapons in multiple places and I've seen in some of your posts where you quoted court cases (think it was the McCarron case in particular) the W word got thrown about quite often by both judge and super.
    You might note that that was a court case and court cases being adversarial situations by definition and intent, are rarely taken by two like-minded individuals who agree with each other about the merits of the case :)

Or more bluntly, the people you're talking about don't think we should own firearms and so use aggressively loaded terms to describe them because language both shapes and reflects thought.

But if you agree with them, feel free to use the terms they choose.

As to the commissioner's guidelines... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61953720 :)
    That one blew my mind.

Here's a Judge, in the high court, stating explicitly that the issue is the applicant, not the firearm. And here's a Garda Commissioner, recommending (in a fudged way) to all Garda Superintendents and Chief Superintendents that they disregard that and consider the applicant as just another factor instead of the sole factor as stated by the Judge.

Isn't that perilously close to the definition of sedition?
    Guidelines wrote:
    type of weapons that are
    Oh boy.

To be fair, of the 16 uses of the word "weapon" in the guidelines, only two are inappropriate and the Commissioner's fault - the others are either quoted from other sources or are in the titles of various Acts and you can't really blame the Commissioner for those.

You might note that that was a court case and court cases being adversarial situations by definition and intent, are rarely taken by two like-minded individuals.

Or more bluntly, the people you're talking about don't think we should own firearms.

But if you agree with them, feel free to use the terms they choose.

Sparks, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you or suggesting that we should refer to them as weapons.

I just got the impression from your initial post that you were suggesting the average Garda makes a distinction between the term weapon and firearm.

My point- which I may have conveyed badly- was that if the commissioner/judges and supers don't seem to see the difference then I somehow doubt the average Garda at the front desk would make the distinction.

Just my own 2 cents.

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    I just got the impression from your initial post that you were suggesting the average Garda makes a distinction between the term weapon and firearm.
    No, I think the average Garda has a very distinct meaning in mind for the term "weapon" (and that that's a prevalent meaning in the Garda world and the courts) and we don't want to be within an asses' roar of it!

No, I think the average Garda has a very distinct meaning in mind for the term "weapon" (and that that's a prevalent meaning in the Garda world and the courts) and we don't want to be within an asses' roar of it!

I’m going to have to disagree with you here Sparks.

From my own experience I find the average Garda (come to think about it, we even have our own people on here use the word weapon and not mean it in any negative way).... but back to our average Garda... in my own experience I have talked to Gardai over the years who would be quite pro (or at the very least fence sitters) and they would refer to them as weapons. I strongly suspect the average Garda would make no distinction and find the terms synonymous.

Actually. You know, we might be able to have a bit of fun with this- there's a board here somewhere (emergency services maybe?) with a lot of Gardai on it. Might be an idea for a novelty thread- just a simple question to them. We wont tell them the back story and see what replies we get. I bet ya a coffee the majority find them synonymous :p

I strongly suspect the average Garda would make no distinction and find the terms synonymous.
    Which is kindof the problem.
    When "I arrested the drug-dealing murdering psychopath after he produced the weapon your Honour" and "I refused the licence for the weapon your Honour" are both using the same word, it's not a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

I'm taking my ball and going home, lighten up lads weapon gun firearm the lad just posted a thread and didn't look for a lecture

Advertisement