Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel shed

Options
  • 30-04-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

Getting a 6 by 3m shed delivered soon from Steeltech, base is in and ready. Was warned by a friend of ours (after base was in and shed ordered, conveniently) about huge condensation problems with these sheds, causing everything to rust. Bit worried now as everything from bikes to lawnmowers and gym gear will be in the shed. After doing some internet searches it seems most people have this issue with steel sheds and I am starting to regret not building a concrete one instead. Even though Steeltech sheds come with a condensation membrane, it seems even this doesn't prevent it. Anyone know if this is the case? If so, what can be done to prevent condensation in these sheds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I cant say definitively that it is always a problem with metal sheds. But I have a small pent metal shed from Argos and it did get condensation at first. I find it helps to leave the door open just a crack which is ok for me as it is in a sheltered corner.
    If you haven't taken delivery yet surely you can just cancel the order if you are not happy to proceed? You have consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

redser7 wrote: »
    I cant say definitively that it is always a problem with metal sheds. But I have a small pent metal shed from Argos and it did get condensation at first. I find it helps to leave the door open just a crack which is ok for me as it is in a sheltered corner.
    If you haven't taken delivery yet surely you can just cancel the order if you are not happy to proceed? You have consumer rights.

I could cancel the order, but the base is in and wouldn't be suitable for a concrete shed so it'd have to be dug up costing more money. I am sure there is a way around the condensation problem, otherwise these sheds would never sell. I know that making sure DPC is put down before concrete floor goes in stops dampness rising from the base, have read that even this doesn't completely prevent condensation. Thanks for the reply.

Actually came across this last night! Thanks again:)

No worries. I agree there must be a way. Maybe go belt and braces with the layers of plastic underfoot. And make sure not to bring anything into the shed that is damp. And ventilate in warm weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Very interesting. Was considering buying a metal shed too.

So basically a decent Damp Proof Membrane in your base and a few strategically placed holes in the gable ends of your shed should sort it out ? let us know how you get on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Consumer rights do not entitle you to change of mind except in distance selling, and if the shed was made to order you have even less scope for cancellation.

There are plenty of steel sheds and cabins in use which don't suffer condensation so there are solutions.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Consumer rights do not entitle you to change of mind except in distance selling, and if the shed was made to order you have even less scope for cancellation.

There are plenty of steel sheds and cabins in use which don't suffer condensation so there are solutions.

My post was to do with condensation prevention and advice from people who already have these sheds and how they solved the issue. Nothing to do with consumer rights which you have pointed to. If I want to cancel I have the right, I was told from when I put a deposit on the shed. Not interested in cancelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Hi Wailin if condensation does become a problem you can buy little chemical dehumidifiers (quite cheap about €10/12). Got mine in Homebase and have got it in one of the hen houses.

The other thing is to line the roof and maybe the sides with a sticky back felt.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Wailin wrote: »
    My post was to do with condensation prevention and advice from people who already have these sheds and how they solved the issue.

I am very familiar with these sheds.

The DPC under the initial base is vital, as it prevents moisture entering the shed from the ground.

A Second DPC is then added, when the shed is fitted, under the final floor of 40mm, this prevents moisture entering the Shed, between the initial Base, and the frame, i.e any gaps, the wind will drive in the rain.

The Sheds have a Non- Drip lining which absorbes any moisture in the air, there is ventilation at the top of the wall, to dry out the lining.

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    I am very familiar with these sheds.

The DPC under the initial base is vital, as it prevents moisture entering the shed from the ground.

A Second DPC is then added, when the shed is fitted, under the final floor of 40mm, this prevents moisture entering the Shed, between the initial Base, and the frame, i.e any gaps, the wind will drive in the rain.

The Sheds have a Non- Drip lining which absorbes any moisture in the air, there is ventilation at the top of the wall, to dry out the lining.

Thanks Martinn, so you don't think I will have an issue once the base is done correctly? I did put polythene sheeting under the initial base and will put down another when I'm putting in the floor after shed has been assembled.
    Shot of the base:
    IMG_3340_zps4ee4322a.jpg
    IMG_3338_zps835212c2.jpg

looks like a good tidy job

with the additional DPC under the Final floor, you should have no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Just about to put in an order for one of these, I mentioned it to the sales man and he said the non drip lining stops it. But I'm thinking just stops it dripping, not building up!!!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on too, they look like nice built sheds and pretty reasonable in price too!!!

Would insulating the walls make a difference for you?

N

Just about to put in an order for one of these, I mentioned it to the sales man and he said the non drip lining stops it. But I'm thinking just stops it dripping, not building up!!!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on too, they look like nice built sheds and pretty reasonable in price too!!!

Would insulating the walls make a difference for you?

N

The lining on the walls/roof absorbers the moisture when the air is moist, the ventilation at the top of the wall, then changes the air constantly, and dries out the lining.

In winter during a very wet spell, you might need to leave the door open a little to aid in ventilation,

Insulation, is to retain heat, and presumes you have a heat source, I.e a heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

I have 5x3 steeltech shed in for last 2 years and no problems. Some condensation inside when very foggy / bad weather but very very minor and not dripping. Have bikes and lawnmowers inside and no prpbs.I went for stepped base but that would prob make no difference. I think that only one dp course went down also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I got a steel shed last summer. Concrete slab with DPM sheet. Studded inside it with studding facing the steel sheeted with OSB. Filled studs with fibreglass and ceiling ones with kingspsn type insulation. Plastic sheeting inside studs then and finally, cladded inside with 8mm cladding. All bone dry.

Photos of job during progress.

Bruthal wrote: »
    I got a steel shed last summer. Concrete slab with DPM sheet. Studded inside it with studding facing the steel sheeted with OSB. Filled studs with fibreglass and ceiling ones with kingspsn type insulation. Plastic sheeting inside studs then and finally, cladded inside with 8mm cladding. All bone dry.

Photos of job during progress.

Nicely done, like the flat screen in the wall! I see you went for the step base rather than putting in floor after shed assembled. Was there any gaps between floor and shed once it went in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Wailin wrote: »
    Nicely done, like the flat screen in the wall! I see you went for the step base rather than putting in floor after shed assembled. Was there any gaps between floor and shed once it went in?

Yea there was a 50 mm gap all around the edge which I then filled in after the shed was fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

hi

my problem is not condensation but water getting in undet the shed walls - got a metal shed a few years ago put onto a concrete base and dug a foot wide trench around it filled with stones/gravel for 'drainage'- only problem is when it rains heavy the water gets in under the walls of the shed at its 'lower' end. The base at one end is too low and is a bit below the level of the garden and that is where it floods. When there is heavy rain the trench fills up and reaches the level of the concrete base and then the water gets into the shed under the walls. I have put sealant along the wall bottom a few times but it still gets in
    Would either have to raise the whole shed up a bit or have better drainage
    Any advice on how to get better drainage for this? (have photos of it but doesn't seem to be an option to put photos on here?)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

hi

my problem is not condensation but water getting in under the shed walls - got a metal shed a few years ago put onto a concrete base and dug a foot wide trench around it filled with stones/gravel for 'drainage'- only problem is when it rains heavy the water gets in under the walls of the shed at its 'lower' end. The base at one end is too low and is a bit below the level of the garden and that is where it floods. When there is heavy rain the trench fills up and reaches the level of the concrete base and then the water gets into the shed under the walls. I have put sealant along the wall bottom a few times but it still gets in
    Any advice on how to get better drainage for this? (have photos of it but can't get them uploaded on here?)

• Advertisement

lipso wrote: »
    hi

my problem is not condensation but water getting in under the shed walls - got a metal shed a few years ago put onto a concrete base and dug a foot wide trench around it filled with stones/gravel for 'drainage'- only problem is when it rains heavy the water gets in under the walls of the shed at its 'lower' end. The base at one end is too low and is a bit below the level of the garden and that is where it floods. When there is heavy rain the trench fills up and reaches the level of the concrete base and then the water gets into the shed under the walls. I have put sealant along the wall bottom a few times but it still gets in
    Any advice on how to get better drainage for this? (have photos of it but can't get them uploaded on here?)

You'll need to upload some photos. Try link them through a site like flickr or look up how to do it here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

lipso wrote: »
    ...Any advice on how to get better drainage for this?...
    French drain, and/or
    Soakaway, and/or
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26908

HTH

Advertisement