Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peppermint Plants

• 30-04-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know where I can get some peppermint plants or seeds in Cork?

The usual garden centres have the stock of herb plants such as thyme, mints etc., but I have not been able to find any peppermint plants so far. There is a site online based in Bantry but its costly with P & P for online purchasing unless you spend over €50.

I was told to check out the Coal Quay on weekends as there are usually stalls selling various plants & herbs especially on bank holiday weekends. I will check it out, but if anyone has any other advice or suggestions it will be appreciated.

N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I don't think you'll find the seeds easily in Cork. Try here instead:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=peppermint%20seeds&sprefix=peppermint+seeds%2Caps%2C120&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apeppermint%20seeds

I bought some last year but I can't recall where exactly. Could be Woodies or B&Q, or it could have been that place on the Magic Roundabout, or that place left at the Airport Roundabout. It's certainly not uncommon, might be just your timing (I've been trying to get tarragon over the last few weeks but can't; just my timing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

My Potatoes, I picked up a Russian tarragon plant in Woodies last week (in Glasnevin Dublin), not sure if there is a branch in Cork.

They have a decent herb selection this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

I know its a good bit away from you but give the organic center in rossinver a ring make sure ya plant the mint in a barrel or something like that or you will have mint all over the place

Sorry, I should have been more precise. It was French tarragon I was looking for. I grew Russian tarragon a few years ago from seed but it just doesn't have the punch of French tarragon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Just spotted French Tarragon in Homebase this morning so maybe try there.
    Got a dill plant I've been looking for so I think I've all I'll need for a while.

• Advertisement

No Homebase in Cork. Believe it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

that's mad ay.

True! They're in Kerry, Limerick and Waterford, but not Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vonniethegreat

saw mint plants in griffins in dripsey yesterday!!!not sure if they were peppermint but if u ring em they re really helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

I thought the regular mint you buy in small pots was peppermint. I know I have a eap of it and went a bought a spearmint, a lovely flavour and better for mint sauce

• Advertisement

The term "mint" or "garden mint" is normally used for spearmint, Mentha spicata. This is the one typically used in mint sauce, mojitos, Moroccan mint tea, etc.
    Peppermint, Mentha piperita, is normally not eaten directly though it is used for Peppermint Tea and some confectionery. It's main use is for medicinal purposes.

Thanks, how do I tell which one I have. I am sure one was bought as spearmint. I thought the other was peppermint, it has purpleish under leaves?

tringle wrote: »
    I thought the other was peppermint, it has purpleish under leaves?

Under or on the leaf edge, or the stems, something like that.

Under, the back of the leaf is purple and the front dark green, much darker than the spearmint. Leaves are also smaller and less serrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The wild mint that you find growing in ponds, streams, bogland etc has rounder leaves than garden mint, a more purplish tinge, and a much more "pepperminty" aroma and flavour.
    I've got some in a tiny garden pond (an old sink LOL) and have always used it for cooking, etc- it is fine!
    Took it from a damp canal bank in the midlands where it was very abundant and the stuff spreads like anything, rooting in damp soil as it goes. Only snag is, it's deciduous and vanishes in winter, to reappear next spring.

Advertisement