Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this wire in the meter box?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, what's the wire leading out of the main input fuse?

13988553421110_zps9zauzj2y.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

neutralizing link

or 'main protective conductor'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The grey one at the bottom coming from the orange tube is the main incoming supply from the ESB.The ones to the right are the outgoing supply from the meter to your fuseboard. The small grey one is the earth and should have been wrapped in green/yellow earth tape rather than grey. Not a big deal though.

no REC seal either

service cable and tails entering cabinet in wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

superg wrote: »
    The grey one at the bottom coming from the orange tube is the main incoming supply from the ESB.The ones to the right are the outgoing supply from the meter to your fuseboard. The small grey one is the earth and should have been wrapped in green/yellow earth tape rather than grey. Not a big deal though.

It was the small grey one i was talking about. Earth tape would have made it obvious to me.
    no REC seal either

service cable and tails entering cabinet in wrong place

Are these important issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The work that was done on that meter cabinet is wreckless and incorrect.

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It was the small grey one i was talking about. Earth tape would have made it obvious to me.

Are these important issues?

nope

none of the 3 issues would be major

the grey tape is sloppy and wouldn't inspire confidence in the rest of the work.
    on the other hand everything may be fine

Would it have been the electrician that wired the house thats responsible for the meter box or is it the ESB that has to install the meter and the electrician takes it from there? I'm assuming the former?

We're in the process of buying this place so obviously want to make sure everything is ok. I do have some other queries which i'll post in a seperate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The builder or electrician would install the meter box. The ESB then come along and install the meter and supply the house. The ESB have specific rules regarding cable entry which are supposed to be followed.They weren't in this case but the esb still installed the meter and connected the supply so if they don't have an issue with it you shouldn't either. If you are only buying this place maybe it would be worth having the electrical installation inspected if you want peace of mind. Some of the building done in the boom left a lot to be desired in terms of quality,this applies to electrics too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The work that was done on that meter cabinet is wreckless and incorrect.

You will give the OP nightmares :D

I agree that what is shown is incorrect and perhaps a bit sloppy.
    But "reckless" suggests that it is something dangerous.
    I don't see anything dangerous in the picture.

the installation probably pre-dates
    the 4th edition 'main ocpd'(63amp mcb)

unless it was recently upgraded and should have been fitted in that case

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

I don't see anything dangerous in the picture.

Having the tails not in flexible ducting is dangerous due to certain types of cavity insulation that attack the pvc cable.
    The esbn should have refused to install a meter in that cabinet, its work like this that really irates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Having the tails not in flexible ducting is dangerous due to certain types of cavity insulation that attack the pvc cable.
    The esbn should have refused to install a meter in that cabinet, its work like this that really irates me.
    There is no evidence in the picture that the cable in the cavity is either not sleeved in conduit or that the insulation in the cavity (if there is any) will cause a problem if it is not.

There's evidence of a bit of sloppiness, but no danger shown in the picture.
    Indeed, if it's a bit sloppy in the meter box, it may well be in other areas of the job too. We don't know that though. As advised, best thing to get it checked by someone that can answer these questions (a REC).

Chet, is there a wiring completion cert for the house? If not, it will probably be required for the sale to go through. I would be requesting one before I agreed on the purchase either way.

Edit: Bet you to it, 2011 :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Having the tails not in flexible ducting is dangerous due to certain types of cavity insulation that attack the pvc cable

Pure speculation.

How can you tell from the photo:
    1) What type of insulation is used?
    2) If the tails are in contact with insulation?
    3) If the tails are protected by some sort of conduit that stops behind the meter cabinet board?
    4) If there even is any insulation?

We simply don't know enough about this installation to be able to make any descent assessment on how dangerous it is.

2011 wrote: »

We simply don't know enough about this installation to be able to make any descent assessment on how dangerous it is.

I have to say i cannot answer any of your 4 questions, have to agree that it is speculation but was worth raising the issue as cable deterioration is a serious issue and especially when people pump cavities.
    You have raised other non electrical issues on how well or how bad the house may be insulated. :)

the flexible conduit should be brought into the box

that's the way it should be done anyhow

If it will give you something to argue about the house is 9" blocks internally drylined :p

I've no idea where it goes once it enters the house as the distribution box is on the opposite side of the kitchen to the wall the meter is in

Chet T16 wrote: »
    If it will give you something to argue about the house is 9" blocks internally drylined :p

Cavity wall blocks so it?

Yep. Although the box seems recessed more than the width of the wall so no idea how that works

hopefully not up the interior drylined wall

The esb meter has 2004 on it, have you made a mistake op and maybe the 9 inches is the block height not width, its prob a standard 4 inch block, timber frame house maybe with outer block wall.

• Advertisement

The house was built sometime around 01/02. I'm not sure why the meter is newer, it was pointed out in the survey we had done.

They're definitely cavity blocks, dry lined and there seems to be some sort of insulation behind the plasterboard.

A cavity block wall house built in 01/02 i would question that, i wouldnt build a house for my pet dog with cavity blocks.

A cavity block wall house built in 01/02 i would question that, i wouldnt build a house for my pet dog with cavity blocks.

As insistent as I was the vendor refused to replace them with cavity walls.

Advertisement