Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extract brew questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

From my understanding you can boil the malt extract and hops in a smaller pot, making it a concentrated wort, but this isn't ideal as it can darken the beer and limit the amount of bitterness from the hops. Your better off boiling the brew in as big as pot as possible, I got this along with the imersion coil in a deal, which I can't see anymore. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Partial boils is how I'm brewing at the minute - I use an ice bath to chill and top up with cold water afterward - I've made some exceptionally decent beers this way. The benefit of topping up with water at that you can aerate your wort at the same time.

from the kits in that link in your op - I've heard good things about the Discover America Pale Ale.

PS you can get the kits witht he extract included at this link - https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-hbc-full-extract-kits-23lts-c-1_216.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cheers.

Yeah I think I'll do it that way, also spotted the full kit for 20 and did go for the discover. You think I could dry hop it too or would that run a risk of ruining the flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

dry hopping would definitely bring out the aroma of the hops, it depends on personal taste, if you like hoppy beers definitely dry hop. cascade hops would be suitable for the discover pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've done two of that Discover America brew. The second one I split in two - one half dry hopped, the other not. Interested to see how it turns out. I'll let you know on Friday (or possibly tonight, given how today is going ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

I've brewed recently the linked golden pale ale in a 11l pot.

I used 2x 1.5kg LME with it.
    I followed the guide to firstly mash the grains then I added 1x 1.5 KB LME and boiled for the hops.
    The pot was almost full (~10L). I then moved that stuff into the fermenter added the second 1.5 LME and filled up with cool water to 23L which cooled down the whole thingy to ~26C. Then I added the yeast and it turned out to be a great pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Khannie wrote: »
    I've done two of that Discover America brew. The second one I split in two - one half dry hopped, the other not. Interested to see how it turns out. I'll let you know on Friday (or possibly tonight, given how today is going ;)).

how'd it turn out with the dry hopping vs not.i've my Discover America in secondary and i didn't dry hop but kinda wish i had now

I'm drinking one of the dry hopped ones right this minute. It hasn't been in the bottle long enough, but it's safe to say that the difference was worth the wait. It was a good experiment doing the 50 / 50 split.

Wait now....if it's still in secondary, you're good to go with the dry hopping, right? If you need hops I'd give you enough to dry hop with (if you're in Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Secondary is usually "in the bottle".

• Advertisement

Secondary is usually "in the bottle".

I always considered it in a second fermenter, ie a carboy. If you don't bother using a second fermenter I suppose the bottle is your secondary then, but I wouldn't usually say that myself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hingo wrote: »
    If you don't bother using a second fermenter I suppose the bottle is your secondary then, but I wouldn't usually say that myself
    Yeah, fermenting in the bottle is "conditioning", regardless of whether it's the second vessel the beer went into or not.

My bad.by secondary i mean i racked it into a carboy.no I'm not in Dublin khannie but thanks for the offer.i'm placing an order for some hops today for my own recipe so I'll be dry hopping the shiz out of that

Khannie wrote: »
    Wait now....if it's still in secondary, you're good to go with the dry hopping, right? If you need hops I'd give you enough to dry hop with (if you're in Dublin).

I'd take some if your still offering or ill buy them from you! forgot to order and don't want to pay 6 quid delivery.

I did ask the Galway bay boys to start stocking hops in their pubs, they replied that they are working on a full sail kit :eek:

RasTa wrote: »

I did ask the Galway bay boys to start stocking hops in their pubs, they replied that they are working on a full sail kit :eek:

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

RasTa wrote: »
    I'd take some if your still offering or ill buy them from you! forgot to order and don't want to pay 6 quid delivery.

Yeah, no worries. I'll be in the city tomorrow. Sure drop me a PM there.

Cheers for the offer but decided to transfer into the secondary last night as am busy up until the weekend.

What sugar did you use when bottling btw?

I ran out of glucose, so I just used table sugar. I don't think it'll make any kind of difference given the small amount.

How much of a difference does the omission of whirlfloc/Irish moss make to a brew.my order arrived today but i forgot to add it to my basket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

How much of a difference does the omission of whirlfloc/Irish moss make to a brew.my order arrived today but i forgot to add it to my basket
    Only an aesthetic difference I think, its a clarifying agent and doesnt affect taste or body etc

• Advertisement

Going to get another 2 of the kits, discover america and anybody recommend anything else from the list?

Full Sail probably my favourite beer to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

You could try a recipe, loads online and you get to learn a bit more. I did the American ipa and American brown ale kits, i preferred the American brown ale. I ve since done an English style bitter from a recipe and that was nicer again and i have lots of hops and grains left over. I wouldn't have thought it would be so nice as i wouldn't be the biggest bitter fan but it s nearly gone. About to move house but once done i m going to do an Irish red ale and a porter for Christmas.

Advertisement