Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenton's Pub in Glenn of Imaal to Lugnaquilla

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Poncke wrote: »
    Well, I just got back and it didnt go well. We made it out but just on pure luck. We walked up Camara hill from Fentons pub and then up to Lug. Some people were coming down warning us for the low clouds and that we might get lost. We came up to the wet part with the wide river bedding, and thats where we wanted to go back. But a girl came up and she knew the Lug, so we continued with her. We ended up on the summit and then she had to go back. We walked back 5 minutes later and got lost. We followed the river bed down, but it wasnt the same trail we went up. We kept walking and at some point got worried not know where we would end up. But then out of nowhere a large group of hikers with a guide and GPS, so we latched on and walked down with them. We passed the cliffs and all, and now I understand how people could get caught and fall off. All's well ends well, turned out, we ended up in Glenmalure. Seriously, if we hadnt met those guys, it would have been a very serious situation. So next plan is to get GPS and get training. We were lucky today and it was a massive hike, and it was great, but we realised we were really unprepared.

Glad you made it down, was hairy enough up there, we may have crossed paths up there at some stage. Did you manage to get a lift from glenmalure to fentons?

I'll be checking the mountain rescue website with interest over the next day or so. The last time we were out was in snow up tonelagee and they were called out that day to assist a cyclist who had come off the road, amazing guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Jack, yes, we walked to the lodge in Glenmalure, had some food and a pint and then got on a taxi. Great guy, knew the area well and took us back to the car. 40 Euro taxi, but money well spent. :)

Great experience, loved it, scary at times, but what a hike.

I am doing the Dublin Mountain Challenge, 21k, and I think today really helped to get trained up for that walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll be checking the mountain rescue website with interest over the next day or so.
    http://www.dwmrt.ie/callouts/incident/callout_23:_lugnaquillia_mountain-351.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You can call into the Army Information Center next to Fentons Pub any time and they will give you a free map of the area and show you the walking routes on it.

This may be true but you gotta know how to use it :)

Mapreading is really the key skill in mountain navigation whether you are using a printed map or one on a GPS device. By mapreading, I mean understanding where you are on the map at any given stage and where the features roundabout you are on the map, whether in mist or a sunny day.

The best way to learn this is to be always curious. In good weather, when you don't need to look at a map too much, make a point of doing so and understand where you are and what's about you. That's my tuppenceworth anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There seems to have been a lot of rescues and near misses over the past few days, any idea why that is?

We all make mistakes, the important thing is that you recognise what went wrong and know how to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

hmmm wrote: »
    There seems to have been a lot of rescues and near misses over the past few days, any idea why that is?

We all make mistakes, the important thing is that you recognise what went wrong and know how to fix it.

Crap weather was up Scarr today and it was like another world 5-10 feet visibility, only met 3 other people :eek: on a bank holiday weekend !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

duckysauce wrote: »
    Crap weather was up Scarr today and it was like another world 5-10 feet visibility, only met 3 other people :eek: on a bank holiday weekend !!
    We passed an orienteering competition today on top of Turlough Hill and god only knows how they recovered everyone. Sucking bog and thick mist, and a tough place to navigate in at the best of times.

duckysauce wrote: »

Yeah conditions were atrocious and turned out way worse than the forecasts I looked at had predicted.

Went up lug from fentons on Saturday and around the glen of Imaal, on the spur from lug that leads toward benleagh/camenabologue we found a rusted old propeller blade, presumably from the plain crash in the 50's....

Went up lug from fentons on Saturday and around the glen of Imaal, on the spur from lug that leads toward benleagh/camenabologue we found a rusted old propeller blade, presumably from the plain crash in the 50's....
    It's marked on the E-W map as "Air crash Site 1980's" at approx T 033 938.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Alun wrote: »
    It's marked on the E-W map as "Air crash Site 1980's" at approx T 033 938.

Any grid ref for normal OS map for rough location??

keane=cock wrote: »
    Any grid ref for normal OS map for rough location??
    T 033 938 perhaps? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Alun wrote: »
    T 033 938 perhaps? ;)

Haha my bad. I thought there was a different ref for the other Map posted earlier that is more detailed than os. Felling pretty stupid right now.

No problem :) E-W Mapping's maps use the same grid as the OS do, they're just to a different scale and much more detailed, that's all.

Advertisement