Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] Review - On Cloudsurfers

Options
  • 30-04-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if many on here have/are using these runners or if over on the running forum they have been adopted or not.

Anyway, here's my experience of these runners which I've been training in since last August, and recently bought another pair of them.

https://www.on-running.com/en-ie/shop

Surfer_zpse7709765.jpg

Run Gait - Neutral fitting feet, I still run with a bit of a heel strike which is reduced to midfoot when at faster pace. Land on outside of foot.

Previous runners:
    - Saucony Kinvara 2/3 (found these nice, wore a bit fast but comfortable and light. I did get blisters in them a bit though).

- Adidas Tempo (found these tight fitting on forefoot area, again got blisters but mainly got sore arches as think they have too much support for my foot)

- Adidas Bostons (pretty decent shoe, no major issues and served me well).

So I was looking for a durable trainer but one that suited my foot.
    The On's were getting a bit of publicity and so I popped into Mark and Kevin in Amphibian King for a fit to check them out.
    Felt very comfortable, decent forefoot space, no unnecessary arch support and though not the lightest, the cushions felt nice.
    I expected them to have a slippy like landing feel but this is not the case.

Fast forward a few months and these soon became my prime training runner and I had no issues whatsoever. I ran more than I had before leading up to December and fortunately had no injuries, no blisters/cuts/sores and felt I had found the runner that now suited my feet perfectly.

You hear stories of runners suffering loose toenails, blisters, losing toenails etc and I just don't think this is necessary in this day and age. There has to be a runner out there suited to your feet and if your neutral footed I'd urge trying the On's.

I clocked up around 1,000km in the Cloudsurfers, but could feel the bit of spring/cushioning had reduced from about 750km or so.
    Surfer800km_zpsa7a24c33.jpg

I waited for the new batch to arrive in and legs didn't feel quite as good on the longer runs or hilly runs as a result, but no issues thankfully and then popped in to get the new pair.

I used these as my daily runner for 95% of my running.

How nice is it to run in a fresh pair of runners, granted I had been for a leg massage beforehand also but on fresh legs and runners it was back to brand new again!

My experience of the On Cloudsurfer is top notch:
    - very durable
    - very comfortable
    - no blisters, cuts, toenail issues etc
    - been through hills, trails, road, etc and suited to all

I'm now picking up another pair so I can rotate these on different days to try prolong the life a bit more and keep running in fresh soles etc.

The soles/grips may look like a novelty, but make no mistake these runners are growing in popularity for a reason and they are my go to runners now for every session.

I recently picked up a pair of the On Cloud Zero G's and these are basically the stripped out lightest version. Have only used on a couple runs but same comfort level at much reduced weight. Plan to use for speed work and likely race day.
    20140430_131350_zpsloqxnuvc.jpg

Pic's are after circa 800km wear. Still feel fine, no wear on outside. Soles do feel less springy understandably however.

SurferSole_zps6a497582.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I've been running in a pair of these recently too, recommended by Mark in Ashtown Amphibian king too. Came from Kinvara 4's, initially wasn't sure what to make of them, was a strange sensation running in them. Was like I could feel the cushioning from the 'springs', did take a few runs to break them in but really like them. Find them at there most comfortable though doing my faster runs and tempo type runs.

Advertisement