Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coconut Oil-where?

• 30-04-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I've noticed that Dunnes only stock the smaller €4.29 tubs recently, the €6 ones were much better value and lasted me a good while, the small tub is gone pretty fast. I'd like to know where the Coconut Oil fans here get theirs from? I tried a Health shop but their average size tub was €20 so not worth it for the size of it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I don't know if you're Dublin based but I was in the Oriental Emporium today across the way from the Jervis Luas stop and I saw that they have decent sized pots of Coconut Oil for €3.60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's around 3/3.50 in the Asian Market on Drury Street. Picked some up last week. Stupidly spent 8euro a month ago in Nourish for a similar sized jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Picked up a big jar in Fresh Avenue in Ballinteer for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Cork based but I'll see if there are any Asian stores in the city. Often in Dublin though if not. Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Frog Song wrote: »
    I've noticed that Dunnes only stock the smaller €4.29 tubs recently, the €6 ones were much better value and lasted me a good while, the small tub is gone pretty fast. I'd like to know where the Coconut Oil fans here get theirs from? I tried a Health shop but their average size tub was €20 so not worth it for the size of it. Thanks.

I got a €6 tub in superquinn/supervalu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Boots sometimes do one for ~€4 but it's hardly ever in stock when I go in (Grafton Street).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just checked mine it's extra virgin 500g for €6.29 in supervalu
    http://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1137657000

Millem wrote: »
    Just checked mine it's extra virgin 500g for €6.29 in supervalu
    http://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1137657000

Yeah that's the one I always got in Dunnes but can only ever find the 250g for €4.29 now. I'll check Supervalu, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What do you girls use coconut oil for?

I adore anything coconut and am currently using a fabulous body butter that just smells divine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Mainly use it for moisturising and also put in my hair as conditioner. Amazing for dry hair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You can pick it up in any Asian cooking shops for real cheap, however I got mine (2.50) but there's no smell from it. I read that means its refined and not as good!

fussyonion wrote: »

I adore anything coconut and am currently using a fabulous body butter that just smells divine.

Amazing for dry hair, I use it twice a week as an overnight mask.

I use it to take my make up off, better than anything I've ever tried! Especially on mascara.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Dunnes in ballincollig had the big jars 2 weeks ago.
    I bought a couple there as my local supervalu only had the small expensive ones and I use it a lot.
    Great for baby skin, but love it for cooking or instead of spread on bread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Tesco have these big jars at the moment for €1.99. Bargain :)

818%5C5013635101818%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shellbean

mauzo! wrote: »
    I use it to take my make up off, better than anything I've ever tried! Especially on mascara.

Didn't know it could do that, defo trying it later!!

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

Brilliant! Time to stock up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

I don't really like this brand as it doesn't have a coconut taste/smell & feels quite thick & greasy to me....I usually find the cheaper ones from the Asian shops are similar.
    The one from Supervalue is my fav (Cocowel) as it's organic, virgin & cold-pressed... Has a lovely smell & taste, feels really light & absorbs well!
    Of course the more expensive brands are lovely too but far too expensive for my pocket!
    I use so much. .. cooking, spread, hair, skin... even as a lubricant! :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Such a difference in different coconut oils..

Have a read of this..

http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/your-ultimate-guide-to-coconut-oil-benefits-types-uses/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yes but I think in the context of this thread people are talking about using coconut oil just for topical uses such as hair and skin application.

Different qualities are not as important for these uses but certainly if I were to use for diet, cooking, oil pulling etc I would research to get a good quality coconut oil.

• Advertisement

lubie76 wrote: »
    Yes but I think in the context of this thread people are talking about using coconut oil just for topical uses such as hair and skin application.

Different qualities are not as important for these uses but certainly if I were to use for diet, cooking, oil pulling etc I would research to get a good quality coconut oil.

I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree on this, as your skin is your biggest organ of your body anything you put on your skin makes its way into your blood stream pretty quick!
    Personally I think people are far too blasé (?) about what they use on their skin. .. hair too but to a lesser extent!
    I used coconut oil for oil pulling for a good while & found it great, loved it but went through far too much... it was expensive! ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I got my 444ml tub of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on iherb.com - about $10 on there, compared to €10 here. They had a 1.6L tub for ~€26 as well, and it's gorgeous stuff. Maybe not worth it if you're buying it alone due to postage and packaging, but the site has a bunch of other useful stuff I was grabbing at the same time.

As already said, coconut oil is great for taking off makeup. I've also read quite a lot online about it being used as an appetite suppressant, so I've been sticking a tablespoon or two into breakfast smoothies with rolled oats, raspberries, milk and yoghurt too. I always like a product that multi-tasks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I got my 444ml tub of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on iherb.com - about $10 on there, compared to €10 here. They had a 1.6L tub for ~€26 as well, and it's gorgeous stuff. Maybe not worth it if you're buying it alone due to postage and packaging, but the site has a bunch of other useful stuff I was grabbing at the same time.

As already said, coconut oil is great for taking off makeup. I've also read quite a lot online about it being used as an appetite suppressant, so I've been sticking a tablespoon or two into breakfast smoothies with rolled oats, raspberries, milk and yoghurt too. I always like a product that multi-tasks!

Does it have a strong taste in the smoothies?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

Not really. Just be sure to blend it properly, mix in plenty of fruit and maybe melt the coconut oil beforehand, because a lump of the stuff tastes foul. I read online that you can eat coconut oil on its own, stuck a spoon in and regretted it immediately. URGH. It can also be melted into tea, coffee or hot chocolate, although that's a more noticeable change in texture and flavour.

For people who haven't used coconut oil before, don't be surprised that it's actually a solid. If you scoop out a little into your hand, your skin temperature alone is enough to melt it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

fussyonion wrote: »

I use it as a body moisturiser and body sunscreen.
    I also put it in my hair prior to dying it and then dye straight over it.
    I use it for oil pulling as well and eat a few spoons of it each day.

It's also great for nappy rash if you have kids or for cuts and scrapes, when my little one falls she comes running over to me for coconut oil rather than a plaster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

No way..... As sunscreen , what SPF does if have

molly09 wrote: »
    No way..... As sunscreen , what SPF does if have

10 if I remember correctly!

Not really. Just be sure to blend it properly, mix in plenty of fruit and maybe melt the coconut oil beforehand, because a lump of the stuff tastes foul. I read online that you can eat coconut oil on its own, stuck a spoon in and regretted it immediately. URGH. It can also be melted into tea, coffee or hot chocolate, although that's a more noticeable change in texture and flavour.

For people who haven't used coconut oil before, don't be surprised that it's actually a solid. If you scoop out a little into your hand, your skin temperature alone is enough to melt it down.

I absolutely LOVE the taste of coconut oil!!

You can whip it when it's solid & it doesn't get hard or set when it gets cold & whips up into a gorgeous light fluffy cream that looks so pretty!!
    I add essential oils to mine (lavander, tea tree, oregano etc) too & a good splash of another oil ie organic sunflower, olive or almond! Just makes sure not to add anything till it's already creamy & fluffy!! :)
    You can also mix it with shea or coco butter by whipping the same way! Just make sure it is cold & hard before you start whipping.. I used my food processor but some of them won't work cos they heat up too much... you can also use a hand or electric whisker. ..
    It will still melt when it gets too hot but at a higher heat than normal...& if that happens just put in the fridge & re-whip after it sets!!

So much easier to use than trying to scrape it out of a jar with your nails!

You can also make your own delicious coconut butter by putting coconut flakes in the processor & processing them for Ages. .. More than 10 mins. .. you won't believe it'll turn to butter but it will!! :))

I make my own face & body creams, hair oil (with broccoli seed oil- nature's serum), deodorant, toothpaste. ... The uses are endless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Thanks for the tips - going to pick some up in Dublin today... have been trying Rapeseed oil and not sure it's the best for cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

but there's no smell from it. I read that means its refined and not as good!
    I read the opposite and the "good stuff" is not to have a coconut smell at all. :confused:

Ah feck I just bought this in an Asian shop in Coolmine today for €3.50 (have it in my hair at the mo).

There's no smell off it at all. (double the price for same amount of Cocowel in Supervalu)

I've read so many good things about coconut oil I want to use the correct stuff, so does anyone know for definite if "pure","unrefined" and "extra virgin" mean the same or different things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I'd like to know how you use it as a makeup remover, I hear its better than olive oil for your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Got 2 tubs from Dunnes in Scotch Hall, Drogheda. Around €6.50 a tub, and extra virgin, cold pressed with a good coconut smell of it. Looking forward to cooking with it, now that I finally have some.

Advertisement