Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight between housemates

Options
  • 30-04-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,

My housemates have been doing stuff I don't like, but I shut up any way because I need peace.

Last weekend I did something wrong without intention, already apologized, but they threatened me that the next time they will kick me out.

I pay the rent on time, and clean common areas, well I never had this problems before.

What can they do to me to kick me out, and what can I do to defend my self to avoid that situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

are you a named person on the lease?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you renting from another tenant, or do you pay the landlord?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

If you're not named on the lease I'd look elsewhere to be honest.

Not worth being threatened with eviction over every argument that might arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

The OP is really vague, as to what has happened so it's hard to gauge your situation. Judging your post though it doesn't sound like a great living arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

Stheno wrote: »
    are you a named person on the lease?

Yes I'm a named person on the contract with the agency.

Of course I don't want to leave in an environment like this, but want to look for a new place calmly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They can't kick you out without going through the agency/Landlord, and in general they want nothing to do with these things as long as rent is paid. If they do decide to get involved then they'll take the side of the majority.

Talk to them and explain that you're willing to move out peacefully if they give you enough time.

Can you elaborate on what they do to annoy you/what you did to get them so wound up? It would probably help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Now that the hijacker disappeared can someone give advice?
    Housemates have no legal authority to get you to move out (unless, possibly, if you have done something illegal). However, they could make life difficult or unbearable for you.

Are the other housemates also on the lease and how is the rent paid by them - to the landlord via you, i.e. is there one tenant who collects the rent from all tenants and then pays the landlord?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭seamonkey92

Gatling wrote: »
    It took seven years to be diagnosed with 2 forms of arthritis and and Ankylosing Spondylitis,

What

So basically I'm paying 750 for a room in Dublin, excluding expenses and I didn't even ask if it had electric shower, because is not to expect on an house of this price (I was naive...).

So basically my girlfriend came to visit me and I took a 25 min shower and she about 15 min and the next day the same, and I was warned that I spent the whole water.

So after 2 weeks we took shower just one day (took a 15 min shower and my girlfriend 15 min), and I thought the boiler would stand and go back to heat quickly, and still got complains, because the other 2 house mates couldn't have hot water on that day.

Most of days I take shower at work, so don't even use hot water.

So the solution, in an house of this price, is to take the shower, close the water while spreading the shower gel, and open the water to remove the shower gel.

I already apologized and agreed to close the water while taking the shower, but keep receiving threats of being kicked out and very aggressive language messages.

The agency, by other side, refuses to improve the system or buy electric shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

For that money you're better off moving I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You had your gf living with you for two weeks????

I live with 2 other people, there's only enough hot water in the mornings for the 3 of us to take quick showers, LESS than 15 minutes. You shouldn't need to take 15 minutes in a shower, 5-10 is fine.

So basically you and your gf been using all the hot water every day for 2 weeks? Have you offered to pay extra when the electric bill comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭NSAman

750 a month for a room?? how many rooms in the house? Sounds expensive unless in the city centre

• Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

That doesn't mean that you can empty the tank on the day(s) you do shower at home.

Had you asked them if it was ok for your gf to stay for that long? Maybe it wasn't just the shower incident that caused your housemates to get annoyed, but lots of small things concerned with your gf staying there.

They can't evict you. But they can make life pretty unpleasant for you for you so that you move out of your own accord.

The agency do not have to install an electric shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Your housemates can't kick you out for using too much water. In fact they can't kick you out at all - only the landlord can do that and only with a very good reason. and even then only with a lot of notice. So don't worry about getting kicked out and tell your housemates to fukc off if they threaten you with that.

Now of course they will be annoyed with having no hot water so you'll have to consider that. Can you not just organize to have showers at different times and turn the water heater on more often??

In a houseshare you really should have an electric shower though.....

You could always find a new place in the next few months. For 750e I'm sure you can find an ensuite room with an electric shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Two 15 minute showers is excessive, for sure. I can understand the others being annoyed. I would suggest that if your gf will be staying over a lot, and this will be a repeat occurrence, the relationship between you and your housemates will become pretty much intolerable. They can't turf you out, and the LL will have no interest, but I'd be looking to move to somewhere more suitable

My girlfriend just came to visit me during the weekend. And it happened 2 times.

I already apologized and said I'm turning off the water while spreading the gel.

What I don't like is their aggressive language and their threats of kicking me out, if I had no intention.

Also I'm a very busy person and moving is a trouble for me...And believe me when I came to Dublin 550 or 750 was the difference between the slum and the luxury!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Try taking your shower when everyone else has had theirs - then you can use all the water you want. I would be extemely annoyed if I didn't have any hot water to shower with but to do on more than one ocassion .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

id say they were more worried about what you were doing in a shower for 15-25mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

id say they were more worried about what you were doing in a shower for 15-25mins....

Washing? Two separate showers but that's besides the point.

5-10 minutes should be plenty for a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I already apologized and said I'm turning off the water while spreading the gel.

You say is like you're being some type of a martyr. Can you not just be a bit quicker? Your housemates take showers too, they stem to be able to manage wash themselves and spread gel without the need of ' turning off the water to spread gel'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

petes wrote: »
    Washing? Two separate showers but that's besides the point.

5-10 minutes should be plenty for a shower.

5 minutes is plenty for a shower. Maybe the reason they got so angry with OP is that he cannot understand how outrageous 15 minutes is for a shower even after they confront him about it. That and his argument of usually only taking showers at work, as if that justifies excessively long showers at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

So basically I'm paying 750 for a room in Dublin, excluding expenses and I didn't even ask if it had electric shower, because is not to expect on an house of this price (I was naive...).

So basically my girlfriend came to visit me and I took a 25 min shower and she about 15 min and the next day the same, and I was warned that I spent the whole water.

So after 2 weeks we took shower just one day (took a 15 min shower and my girlfriend 15 min), and I thought the boiler would stand and go back to heat quickly, and still got complains, because the other 2 house mates couldn't have hot water on that day.

So the solution, in an house of this price, is to take the shower, close the water while spreading the shower gel, and open the water to remove the shower gel.

I already apologized and agreed to close the water while taking the shower, but keep receiving threats of being kicked out and very aggressive language messages.

The agency, by other side, refuses to improve the system or buy electric shower.

where in dublin is this house, 750 euro for a room??
    25 mins sounds ,like 30 minutes and 15 sounds like 20, whether it is or not, its way too long to be in the shower. 5-7 mins top, no way over ten anyway.
    You cant be thrown out for this, and it wont matter who the letting agents side with, nor will they care so long as the rent is paid, and nor are they responsible for fitting an electric shower, you should have checked, but its not an essential thing if there is hot water other ways.
    Id be a bit pissed if someone I shared a house with spent an hour or the best part in the over two days and then their partner that didnt live there did also, and to top it off if I had no hot water. So Id be a bit more considerate regarding that as saying sorry doesnt really fix it, on the other hand you shouldnt have to shower at work, just take and pay for your fair share.
    How is this water heated? no reason the water couldnt be heated up again but 40 plus minutes in the shower is way too much anyway, is there even another toilet in the house or is it where the shower is?
    Why didnt your girlfriend shower at her home??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If the house has the immersion timings so finely balanced that there is just precisely enough hot water for 3x10 minute shower, what do they do for handwashing/other hot water needs during the day?

While the Irish have been brought up with a fear of leaving the immersion on too long, they're not that expensive. Most immersions use about 3units an hour. At night rate electricity, that works out at about €3 per person per month. Turning on the immersion for an extra hour every night, or an hour during the day (for double the price) may put a stop to a lot of arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thoie wrote: »
    If the house has the immersion timings so finely balanced that there is just precisely enough hot water for 3x10 minute shower, what do they do for handwashing/other hot water needs during the day?

While the Irish have been brought up with a fear of leaving the immersion on too long, they're not that expensive. Most immersions use about 3units an hour. At night rate electricity, that works out at about €3 per person per month. Turning on the immersion for an extra hour every night, or an hour during the day (for double the price) may put a stop to a lot of arguments.

The Op said they had a boiler? I dont know if he thinks this is what heats the water or maybe its a combination of both, a gas or oil boiler would probably be cheaper, but if they dont have enough heating allocated to hot water, then they need to top it up, could be boiling a kettle of water to wash dishes? I'm sure its more convenient and probably cheaper to wash dishes in a dishwasher in one go from my experience than piecemeal.

As for the hot water, its still a bit unfair to have guests over using excessive amounts of hot water and spending 25 minutes in the shower is too much, while they might not be able to kick the OP out on one hand, if they are continually disagreeable to agreed things, then that could constitute anti social attitude, it might allow for it, but it would be better to leave and find a place they can get along.
    Do you know these people from before OP? also, at one point you seem to suggest your girlfriend is visiting for a few weeks and then its just a few different weekends?? which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This thread is hilarious. A fifteen minute shower is excessive? Im so glad I dont share any more.

750 a month for a house share?

OP, move out. Go find somewhere. I know its not easy but the short term hassle will be better than the long term hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

syklops wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. A fifteen minute shower is excessive? Im so glad I dont share any more.

750 a month for a house share?

OP, move out. Go find somewhere. I know its not easy but the short term hassle will be better than the long term hassle.

welll...
    The vast majority of women (71%) apparently take showers of 10 minutes or less and a quarter of women (26%) manage to take showers of five minutes or less. This is only slightly below the number of men who do so (75% and 30% respectively). There are also intriguing differences on age, with time spent in the shower decreasing with increasing age. The 55s and over (mean shower time: 8 mins, 41 seconds) are five minutes faster than people aged 18 to 24 (mean shower time: 13 mins 26 seconds) with well over a third (39%) of people aged 55 or over even managing to shower in five minutes or less

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2009/sep/04/power-shower-blog

But thats beside the point. OP you cant be kicked out..but always helps to be mindful of other hoesmates

cerastes wrote: »
    The Op said they had a boiler? I dont know if he thinks this is what heats the water or maybe its a combination of both, a gas or oil boiler would probably be cheaper, but if they dont have enough heating allocated to hot water, then they need to top it up, could be boiling a kettle of water to wash dishes? I'm sure its more convenient and probably cheaper to wash dishes in a dishwasher in one go from my experience than piecemeal.

As for the hot water, its still a bit unfair to have guests over using excessive amounts of hot water and spending 25 minutes in the shower is too much, while they might not be able to kick the OP out on one hand, if they are continually disagreeable to agreed things, then that could constitute anti social attitude, it might allow for it, but it would be better to leave and find a place they can get along.
    Do you know these people from before OP? also, at one point you seem to suggest your girlfriend is visiting for a few weeks and then its just a few different weekends?? which is it?

Just for a few different weeks.

But I'll change my behavior, although I cannot take showers in 5 minutes, I'll close the water while spreading the gel.

That's what annoys me people not understanding that people coming from other places where it used not to be like that, takes time to adapt to the culture!!!

Just for a few different weeks.

But I'll change my behavior, although I cannot take showers in 5 minutes, I'll close the water while spreading the gel.

That's what annoys me people not understanding that people coming from other places where it used not to be like that, takes time to adapt to the culture!!!

Is this your first time living out of home?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Is this your first time living out of home?

No, but I always had electric shower!!! Electric shower is a basic need!!!! Specially if you're paying 750 for a room (not an house)!!!!

• Advertisement

No, but I always had electric shower!!! Electric shower is a basic need!!!! Specially if you're paying 750 for a room (not an house)!!!!

I wouldn't live in a house that didn't have one anyway, especially not for that money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement