Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight between housemates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

No, but I always had electric shower!!! Electric shower is a basic need!!!! Specially if you're paying 750 for a room (not an house)!!!!

No, it's not.

Why can't you shower in five or ten minutes? Seriously, how much washing do you need 25 minutes to do? In, wash body, wash hair, done. Takes ten minutes tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If housemates want rid of you, they will get rid of you. It will be by fair means or foul but they will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OP, even if you have long hair, spending 25 minutes in the shower is unnecessary. No wonder they were annoyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not showing consideration for your housemates is what has caused this issue. Show more consideration in future and the situations won't arise. I don't think consideration is a cultural thing? What is to adapt to?

An electric shower is definitely not a basic need. In face gice me an immersion pumped shower over an electric anytime. The pressure in the electric ones is never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I assume the housemates are paying roughly the same for their rooms, if you can all afford €750 per month in rent then I would think that giving the immersion an extra blast every day is within everyone's means.

Our immersion used to be on 24/7 and the bills (Electric Ireland) we were never taken aback by our bills, within the last two months we've changed to overnight immersion with a boost in the evening, that and the other spring savings took us down €25 per month, €25 divided by 3 people wont break the bank.

Maybe I'm living a high life, but in this day and age we shouldnt be falling out over 'the hot water' any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

25 mins for a shower is very long, especially when you are risking using all the hot water on your housemates. Even the compromise of 15 mins is very long and I don't blame your hosuemates for being annoyed, though maybe they have overreacted. You should either have much shorter showers (10 mins tops) or think about moving. Also, an electric shower is not a basic need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

What's the flow rate on a shower? As in, how long would it be to empty the immersion tank? I don't think the issue is the cost of the electricity but rather that the other housemates have to wait for the water to heat up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

15 minutes a shower is not much more than the average and having 2 showers a day is not uncommon in the slightest. Tell your housemates to **** off and sort the boiler out so you have more hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If housemates want rid of you, they will get rid of you. It will be by fair means or foul but they will do it.

This is nonsense.

And for all the replies stating that 5-10 minutes is enough for a shower - well good for ye but some people take longer. If the OP wants to spend an hour in the shower that's his business. It's not relevant.

The issue here is not leaving hot water for the housemates.
    So as a few people have said you should turn the water heater on for longer and don't all have showers at the same time. Is it really that difficult to understand??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

€750 for a room? You're being ripped off, I pay that rent for a new one bed apartment in Dublin 13.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

welll...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2009/sep/04/power-shower-blog

But thats beside the point. OP you cant be kicked out..but always helps to be mindful of other hoesmates

This post would carry more weight if it wasnt from the guardian and it didnt use the word 'apparently' in the first sentence.

As another poster said this is not about time in the shower its about when the showers were had. If its 8am in the morning and I have to get to work and you or your girlfriend are languishing in the shower Id be royally pissed. If its 2pm and everyone is in work I couldnt care less how long a shower was taken. I shared with people for about 6 years and when everyone was conscientious of everyone else things were fine.

750 is a lot though. You will get a bedsit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

15 minutes a shower is not much more than the average and having 2 showers a day is not uncommon in the slightest. Tell your housemates to **** off and sort the boiler out so you have more hot water.

That sounds like the recipe for a harmonious house!

That sounds like the recipe for a harmonious house!

Harmony is already broken, 2x15 minute showers a day is not uncommon or unreasonable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just for a few different weeks.

But I'll change my behavior, although I cannot take showers in 5 minutes, I'll close the water while spreading the gel.

That's what annoys me people not understanding that people coming from other places where it used not to be like that, takes time to adapt to the culture!!!

5 minutes would be a luxury. Are you ....erm.....large? ;)

Harmony is already broken, 2x15 minute showers a day is not uncommon or unreasonable.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I think it is unreasonable. I would certainly expect that a housemate using half an hours hot water a day would pick up a greater proportion of the electricity bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

So basically my girlfriend came to visit me and I took a 25 min shower and she about 15 min and the next day the same, and I was warned that I spent the whole water.

So after 2 weeks we took shower just one day (took a 15 min shower and my girlfriend 15 min),

So the solution, in an house of this price, is to take the shower, close the water while spreading the shower gel, and open the water to remove the shower gel.

What the fook are you doing in the shower for 25 mins? And what's this "spreading the gel" nonsense? I'd say about 2 mins is as long as if takes me to put the shampoo/gel in my hair and clean myself. The biggest job is washing the suds out!

Ah, the joys of sharing a house

i say its more so to do with the gf staying over more than the showers,

i think generally people hate house sharing with couples,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This thread has officially descended into lunacy.

No, it would not be a luxury. It would be slightly more than the average- as posted by someone else previously.

The vast majority of women (71%) apparently take showers of 10 minutes or less and a quarter of women (26%) manage to take showers of five minutes or less. This is only slightly below the number of men who do so (75% and 30% respectively). There are also intriguing differences on age, with time spent in the shower decreasing with increasing age. The 55s and over (mean shower time: 8 mins, 41 seconds) are five minutes faster than people aged 18 to 24 (mean shower time: 13 mins 26 seconds) with well over a third (39%) of people aged 55 or over even managing to shower in five minutes or less

Everyone is claiming they spend under 5 minutes but that is not the average.

After soaping yourself down, which would take 5 minutes, what does one then do with the other 10? Just kind of stand there?

• Advertisement

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I think it is unreasonable. I would certainly expect that a housemate using half an hours hot water a day would pick up a greater proportion of the electricity bill

How mush extra do you think it would cost? It isn't really that expensive if its heated by the boiler.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thoie wrote: »
    If the house has the immersion timings so finely balanced that there is just precisely enough hot water for 3x10 minute shower, what do they do for handwashing/other hot water needs during the day?

While the Irish have been brought up with a fear of leaving the immersion on too long, they're not that expensive. Most immersions use about 3units an hour. At night rate electricity, that works out at about €3 per person per month. Turning on the immersion for an extra hour every night, or an hour during the day (for double the price) may put a stop to a lot of arguments.

Boilers don't hold an infinite amount of water. I can leave the immersion on for 6 hours but I'm still only going to get the same amount of hot water in the morning.

We use up most of the hot water in the morning, if when I get home and I want another shower for whatever reason I just put the immersion on for another 15-30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

After soaping yourself down, which would take 5 minutes, what does one then do with the other 10? Just kind of stand there?

Yes. Showers are a pleasurable experience for many, don't see why this stumps people. Obviously the OP shouldn't be indulging when there are people waiting to use it but some of you make the idea of a 10 minute shower seem ludicrous. If you have your own place why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Yes. Showers are a pleasurable experience for many, don't see why this stumps people. Obviously the OP shouldn't be indulging when there are people waiting to use it but some of you make the idea of a 10 minute shower seem ludicrous. If you have your own place why not?

The point is that the OP doesn't have their own place and his actions are inconsiderate to his housemates.

thats a very fair point,

some people in house sharing situations tend forget theres others living there and make the house very uncomfortable to live,

I think some people just dont know how to house to house share!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No one is saying a 10 minute shower is ludicrous. In fact pretty much everyone is saying a 10 minute shower is more reasonable.

If you're sharing then you don't have the luxury of spending as long as you want in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

have a shower at the same time :-)
    get a thermal mixing valve installed

wait until water metre charges come in :O housemates be murdered over 10min showers!

Boilers don't hold an infinite amount of water. I can leave the immersion on for 6 hours but I'm still only going to get the same amount of hot water in the morning.

We use up most of the hot water in the morning, if when I get home and I want another shower for whatever reason I just put the immersion on for another 15-30 minutes.

Boilers hold no water, thats the tank :pac: A 15 min shower wont empty it of water so there just isn't enough to begin with. If they have boiler they have oil or gas so heating water should take feck all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

If my 10 minute electric shower cost .30c and your 25 minute electric shower cost .75c i would be more pissed off. A girl I lived with that had long showers every night moved out and our electricity bill dropped by €100 odd euro. <SNIP>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement