Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight between housemates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

syklops wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. A fifteen minute shower is excessive? Im so glad I dont share any more.

This comment is hilarious. 15 minutes is your average shower? It doesn't matter if you're sharing, a shower is a shower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm gonna stopwatch my shower in the morning. Results to follow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

€750 for a room? You're being ripped off, I pay that rent for a new one bed apartment in Dublin 13.

Where about? The others are paying 500euro because their rooms are smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That sounds like a rip off to be honest. Is it a 3-bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

250 euro extra for a bigger room?

How much bigger? Is the shower shared or do you have it in your bedroom?

250 extra sounds like a lot more to be paying than those other guys which doesn't seem very fair in my opinion.

Where are you living?

I would look at other rooms to rent in my opinion. It's not a nice environment and they don't seem like nice people if they threaten to evict you over using extra water in the shower. They can turn on the bloody immersion if they want hot water!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It is a rip off, but those are standard enough rates for "sought after" areas in Dublin. I'm paying over 500 for a single room, a flat mate is paying over 700 for another and the other flatmate is paying more again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seems ridiculous, my one bedroom apartment is 700, 15 mins walk from o connell st. Now that might eb a good deal but even for 800/900 there would be so many. What a waste for a shared house imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Pompous wrote: »
    This comment is hilarious. 15 minutes is your average shower? It doesn't matter if you're sharing, a shower is a shower.

13.5 minutes is the average shower for people in their twenties, 15 minutes isn't excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Seems ridiculous, my one bedroom apartment is 700, 15 mins walk from o connell st. Now that might eb a good deal but even for 800/900 there would be so many. What a waste for a shared house imo.

It doesn't seem ridiculous if it's a 3-bed for 1750 (depending on location of course). The ridiculous thing is that he's paying 50% more than the flatmates.

I'd be expecting a bigger room and en-suite for that premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ZeroBarry

It is a rip off, but those are standard enough rates for "sought after" areas in Dublin. I'm paying over 500 for a single room, a flat mate is paying over 700 for another and the other flatmate is paying more again.

That is an absolute joke of a price for a room for yourself and the OP author, rent in Dublin is crazy.

The average you pay down the country (Munster Area) is between €550 - €700 for a full 3 bedroom house with a nice sized back and front garden if you spend the time looking.

I pay €550 for my 3 bedroom house and I'm sharing with the GF, she works locally in our town I have a 20min commute to my job, my weekly rent/travel/bill/food costs total are less then what some of ye guys are paying for a single room. And I have an electric shower! and money to save :)

Dublin needs to get sorted!

To the OP, if you read this, I would seriously consider moving out and finding a place further out the country, do a cost/benefit analysis in relation to your lifestyle, you'd be surprised at how much you can save and how much cheaper it is to live further away from the city and commute in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Just to point out, people are saying a 15 minute shower isn't excessive.

Op has said he took 25 minute showers and then his girlfriend took 15 minutes. 25 minutes is hugely excessive.

13.5 minutes is the average shower for people in their twenties

Source??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

ZeroBarry wrote: »
    you'd be surprised at how much you can save and how much cheaper it is to live further away from the city and commute in and out.

But the bit in bold is horrific. To not have to do that is worth the exta rent for many

Source??

Read the thread.

Just to point out, people are saying a 15 minute shower isn't excessive.

Op has said he took 25 minute showers and then his girlfriend took 15 minutes. 25 minutes is hugely excessive.

25 mins is excessive so he has cut it down but is still getting complaints that there is no water. If there is no water after a 15 min shower then there is not enough hot water to begin with.

Read the thread.

I did.

The source is a "Shower Power" campaign by "The leading authority on water efficiency in the UK and Europe". Their goal is "that water will be used wisely, every day, everywhere!"

These statistics are most likely biased and definitely not scientific.

The source is a "Shower Power" campaign by "The leading authority on water efficiency in the UK and Europe". Their goal is "that water will be used wisely, every day, everywhere!"

These statistics are most likely biased and definitely not scientific.

Its backed up by other research by unilever that pegs the average for all ages at 8-9 minutes. If you made even a cursory attempt at googling you'd see that 15 min showers are very common.

Even if the op cuts his shower time down to 10 or 5 minutes its obvious that theere isn't enough hot water to begin with. The cost of having enough for all is trivial.

If you made even a cursory attempt at googling you'd see that 15 min showers are very common misconception.

Fixed that for you. I did google. Anyway, I don't like your tone, I'm done with this discussion. Have a nice day.

Fixed that for you. I did google. Anyway, I don't like your tone, I'm done with this discussion. Have a nice day.

Incorrect, it was a misconception that woman on average spent 15 minutes. It is not a misconception that amongst some age brackets 13.5 minutes is the average meaning that 15 minutes is very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Look, the fella had a **** in the shower. The shower isn't the issue.

The issue is that his housemates threatened to evict him over there being no hot water.
    Big fúcking deal, it happens.

Is there a limit to how long I can spend on the jacks taking a shít as well? Get a grip people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Caliden wrote: »

The issue is that his housemates threatened to evict him over there being no hot water.

Is there a limit to how long I can spend on the jacks taking a shít as well? Get a grip people

If you post in this manner again you will find yourself taking a holiday from here.
    Clean up your tone, content and language please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Caliden wrote: »

Albeit crude I am inclined to agree. There are no grounds for forcing someone out of their home here. This is practically bullying. Especially considering that it doesn't sound like a common occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ranchu wrote: »
    If my 10 minute electric shower cost .30c and your 25 minute electric shower cost .75c i would be more pissed off. A girl I lived with that had long showers every night moved out and our electricity bill dropped by €100 odd euro. <SNIP>

I wouldnt say its the cost thats as much the problem although any cost will eventually add up, but if someone and their partner that doesnt pay to live there spend an hour in the shower for a few days running and on both occasions the others had to wait this long for them to finish and then wait to reheat the water as aall the hot water was used up, I can understand them being pissed.

that said, Id be suspect of the whole story, as the Op has been asked where this place is (edit a few times) and cant even answer with a rough location.

cerastes wrote: »
    I wouldnt say its the cost thats as much the problem although any cost will eventually add up, but if someone and their partner that doesnt pay to live there spend an hour in the shower for a few days running and on both occasions the others had to wait this long for them to finish and then wait to reheat the water as aall the hot water was used up, I can understand them being pissed.

that said, Id be suspect of the whole story, as the Op has been asked where this place is and cant even answer with a rough location.

The GF showered there on 2 occasions and no longer does so. Inmy house teh shower would often be running for an hour by the time everyone is done, we don't run out of water.

I'd be suspicious of your username, are you even a serpent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

dear god this thread is bizarre.

Why are people getting so hung up on how much time other people spend in the shower anyway? Just because you only take 5 minutes doesn't mean everybody else HAS to only take five minutes.

OP - I don't think arguing over hot water is reasonable. The rent you are paying is indicative of a possible option to move. Consider it - it might be worth it for your own sanity. My past experience is petty arguments like this are an indicator of other problems in the atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ZeroBarry wrote: »
    That is an absolute joke of a price for a room for yourself and the OP author, rent in Dublin is crazy.

The average you pay down the country (Munster Area) is between €550 - €700 for a full 3 bedroom house with a nice sized back and front garden if you spend the time looking.

I pay €550 for my 3 bedroom house and I'm sharing with the GF, she works locally in our town I have a 20min commute to my job, my weekly rent/travel/bill/food costs total are less then what some of ye guys are paying for a single room. And I have an electric shower! and money to save :)

Dublin needs to get sorted!

To the OP, if you read this, I would seriously consider moving out and finding a place further out the country, do a cost/benefit analysis in relation to your lifestyle, you'd be surprised at how much you can save and how much cheaper it is to live further away from the city and commute in and out.

Yeah but who the **** wants to live in Munster? :pac: :

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭whellman1030

IMHO these guys think they are the house bosses, because they are there for 2 years and I just arrived.

I can put myself on their shoes and I wouldn't like a new tenant to screw up the peaceful life I had before with my housemates.

But isn't the case to ask, if they live there for 2 years would cost too much to buy an electric shower?

And there's things they do I don't like, but to avoid more conflicts I just shut up.

From my perspective I know they mean no harm, but I'm the newcomer, the minority, and I have to shut up if I want peace. It's kind of bullying to be honest.

Of course there are lots of other things that we argued about, but I have to agree with them because I need peace and have no time to look for a new place (and you know how hard is to find an apartment in the 4 miles range of Dublin center).

It's not like I came to the house and started to leave everything dirty, untidy and turning on the LOUD music at 2AM!!!!

I take my showers at work/gym (never use it at home) and so if what 1 time per week I want to take a long shower to make me relax??? Just take it 2 hours before anyone need one and turn on the heater again!!!!

That's why House Sharing in Dublin, specially with foreigners is a pain in the....I shared with 3 Irish's before in a rural town, and they were angels. But in Dublin finding an house only with Irish's is impossible. And I'm not Irish.

Conclusion: In Dublin rent a 1 bed apartment, if you can afford it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The GF showered there on 2 occasions and no longer does so. Inmy house teh shower would often be running for an hour by the time everyone is done, we don't run out of water.

I'd be suspicious of your username, are you even a serpent?

I dont see what you're so annoyed about? its the other house sharers that have brought up their complaint.

Neither is it a question of how much water is used in your house?? I just dont see the connection, the OP never confirmed how they heat the water, its been suggested by others it could be one thing or another.

And last of all what has my username got to do with it? you can use Google, so cerastes means horned viper?? and?

I said Im suspicious of the story as the OP was unable to confirm the location in Dublin, despite being asked a number of times by a few people due to the rent price.

Im more suspicious of your unnecessary reply and defence of some other? person

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I'm gonna stopwatch my shower in the morning. Results to follow :D

In the interests of scientific research myself and the wife timed our showers this morning. Mine clocked at 5 mins and 7 seconds while she took a staggering 10 mins and 39 seconds. She emphasises that this includes time to soak her hair in conditioner and other lady things.

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement