Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Exam Attendant Lead Girl?

• 30-04-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just found out that I got chosen to supervise the state exams (so happy!!). I was also told that I was chosen to be "lead girl" exam attendant. Anybody have any idea what this means, and do I get paid more? ;) I was told I'd have to do some administration work but other than that I don't have a clue what I'll be doing, so if anyone has any idea please tell me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Hi Guys,

I just found out that I got chosen to supervise the state exams (so happy!!). I was also told that I was chosen to be "lead girl" exam attendant. Anybody have any idea what this means, and do I get paid more? ;) I was told I'd have to do some administration work but other than that I don't have a clue what I'll be doing, so if anyone has any idea please tell me! :D

Congratulations! Did it last year - handiest couple of hundred squids you'll ever earn, use it wisely ;)

Way our place worked it was that 4 people were chosen to supervise the Leaving and Junior exams - you're paid by the state, and the rate of pay is purely based on the exams supervised (every exam is paid differently depending on length).
    I was a part-time Leaving Cert attendant, so while I wasn't there for the whole run of exams I supervised the main ones, and got paid more than the attendants for the Junior.
    You probably know the gist of what you're expected to do - take the candidates' phones if they've brought them, give them back at the end of the exam, and sign candidates out who leave early. You also accompany them to the toilet if needs be.
    On the first day, you'll meet with the examiner for your centre, who'll give you a sheet with the rates of pay per exam. They'll work out your pay at the end of the exams, and ask you to do the same to make sure you come out with the same figure, you sign the sheet verifying your hours, and you get paid cash in hand.

Little tip for you - don't be a lick, but try and make the examiner's job as easy as possible. Offer to take their empty mugs, pick up spare papers from desks and ask if there's anything they want doing (I'd imagine that's what the administration part of your job entails). I was friendly and polite, and ended up coming away with a bonus on top of my official pay. Manners cost nothing ;)

Finally, enjoy it! Our examiners were sound and let us bring laptops with headphones. Yeah, you have to wear your uniform and spend an extra week or two in school, but it's a cushy number really - I was delighted when I found out I'd gotten the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi Guys,

Hi there,

I've attached a few forms for the students aides. There really isn't very much to do from my understanding of it all. I've attached a sheet with the pay rates. You will probably get between 200 - 400 depending on your school size, no of subjects etc.

Well done!

http://examinations.ie/schools/2014_Under_18_Attendant_Claim_Form.pdf

Can't seem to find the form with the duties attached from last year on line but have a written copy. Main duties
    - Assisting the Superintendent the day prior to the exams
    - Attend in time
    - Act as security
    - Ensure that there are no disturbances outside.
    - Must not leave unless ordered by Superintendent to do so.
    - Only do the jobs which they are assigned e.g. not on Facebook etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hi Guys,

There is no such thing as the lead girl .
    Afaik everyone Is payed per length of exam unless you are over 18.
    I did it last year and made over 200 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Lead girl is probably a term supplied by the school, it's not by the State Exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yummycupacake

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how someone gets chosen to be an exam attendant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

It's up to the school so it really depends on the school. In our place you have to complete and application form but at the end of the day it's probably all handpicked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yummycupacake

d1234 wrote: »
    It's up to the school so it really depends on the school. In our place you have to complete and application form but at the end of the day it's probably all handpicked :(

Yeah we have to fill out an application too and say why we want to do it lol Id love to do it and it's easier for me because my sis is doin her leaving cert this year but I don't have a clue how to answer that question 😞

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah we have to fill out an application too and say why we want to do it lol Id love to do it and it's easier for me because my sis is doin her leaving cert this year but I don't have a clue how to answer that question 😞

I wouldn't mention that you have a relative doing the Leaving. Is it in the same school?

Advertisement