Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Dublin

Options
  • 30-04-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Going shopping in Dublin this weekend but curious to know where do you prefer to go shopping in Dublin? Town, Blanch or Dundrum?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Hi QueenBee1, I've moved your post to the Dublin City forum as it's better for discussing location-specific topics. Best of luck with your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depends what you are after and how good you expect the weather to be! I prefer town you get more than just UK high street chains. If it looks like its going to rain though a shopping centre would be a bit more comfortable though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dundrum any day over town.
    Saves wandering through chuggers/beggars/junkies.
    Better parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I'd say avoid the Ilac Centre ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Dundrum any day over town.
    Saves wandering through chuggers/beggars/junkies.
    Better parking.

I agree. It's a decent shopping centre, has everything just remember what level you park on (if you're driving)!!!

I always forget where I park and each car park is nigh on identical. >.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

maguic24 wrote: »
    I agree. It's a decent shopping centre, has everything just remember what level you park on (if you're driving)!!!

I always forget where I park and each car park is nigh on identical. >.<

Take a photo of the space number/level ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Take a photo of the space number/level ;-)

That is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

Town any day. Saves having to deal with mutton headed southsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Boldberry wrote: »
    Town any day. Saves having to deal with mutton headed southsiders.
    Right. Because nobody from the southside goes to town, and nobody but southsiders go to Dundrum? Yawn.

OP: Dundrum is better if you're travelling a fair bit and have a car, as long as you're only interested in clothes. If you're looking for electronics as well, town is better. Town also has better food and entertainment options if you're planning on making a day of it.

Can't comment on Blanch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Out of all three you mentioned I'd say Blanch espically if you don't feel like walking for miles just to get to one shop eg you're on grafton st and decide you want to go to penneys

Blanch also has all the mainstream shops town has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thanks for all the replies! Just heading up from the country for the day mainly clothes shopping the usual high street stores and penneys etc! I like blanch the fact everything is together but town has the larger stores only such a drag to get parking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

City centre. Better choice, better food, better air, better people, better deals, better sales, better parks, more ethnic choice,

Park in Ilac early (cheap), get your Northside stuff done, fill the car, then head Southside.

I went to Dundrum shopping centre a few times, probably handy if you have two buggies and another kid, but you can't beat the city centre for choice and value.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Blanch has free parking

Plus every shop you would realistically need

John_Rambo wrote: »
    better air, better people

I think you'll find good and bad in all corners of the globe, but better air, in the city centre, seriously??? :confused:

I like Blanch as well, parking is handy enough and there's a good array of shops. Liffey Valley is another great shopping centre, with ample parking but again it will depend what type of shops you are looking for.

If you are looking for niche shops/restaurants, I'd say town but it can be a nightmare with traffic/parking/walking miles to get from one shop to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I like Blanch as well, parking is handy enough and there's a good array of shops. Liffey Valley is another great shopping centre, with ample parking but again it will depend what type of shops you are looking for.

If you are looking for niche shops/restaurants, I'd say town but it can be a nightmare with traffic/parking/walking miles to get from one shop to another.

Why not park up in the Balally Park n Ride....do a bit of early shopping In Dundrum and then Jump on the Luas into town for a few hours and finish off in Dundrum again........enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Or park at the Red Cow and get the Luas to Jervis St.

I'd go for town any time. There's something about the air in shopping centres that's eeergh. Can't stand eating in shopping centres for that reason.

Think it's too far to walk from Grafton St to Henry St? Get a bike - a City Bike. Or a rickshaw. Or a bus. But the choice is soooo much better in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think you'll find good and bad in all corners of the globe, but better air, in the city centre, seriously??? :confused:

The city centre has pretty good air quality. Plus the air in enclosed shopping centres is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yep, seriously, since the coal ban Dublin has cleaner air than most rural towns, it's coastal position ensures cleaner air too. Certainly cleaner than reconditioned breath and farts of a shopping mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If it's purely for clothes shopping and bargains, than Blanch SC is the best for more affordable clothing with all the chainstores in the main centre (Penneys/Debenhams/M&S) and adjoining retail park (TK Maxx/Gap/New Look etc). Dundrum has a lot of the affordable chains too but a lot of expensive stores as well.

If you are looking for atmosphere, an experience, interesting food or lunch options and general variety then ditch the suburban malls and head to the city centre. You can branch off into Jervis SC/Henry St on northside or Stephens Green/Grafton St on southside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement